Texas Plans to Reopen within the Month!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Apr 19, 2020.

1. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Apr 21, 2020

I don't know the details. There is Colorado, which might be taking a sane approach. And then there's Georgia, which is absolutely insane.

readingrules12 likes this.
  2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 21, 2020

So does the order in your area/state explicitly state which types of businesses can open? The orders in my area have all been so vague that, if an employer really wanted to call their staff in (even if the staff could work from home), they could call them in. Fortunately, many have been reasonable lately. But, if the orders start being lifted slowly, I could see some confusion here regarding which stage applies to which businesses.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2020

Yes, it's incredibly specific. And the state is monitoring and closing businesses that are not following the rules. There were a couple that tried to pull that nonsense with the stay at home order, and they had them shut down within 3 days.

bella84 likes this.
  4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2020

Remember we've been told we shouldn't touch our faces?

The reason for that is that the hands are a very effective route of transmission. I imagine they'll wash the customer's hands, etc., but compliance with all of those is often spotty. And that "someone said" something doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It just sounds like a bad idea to me.

bella84 likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 22, 2020

Would you guys feel safe entering these businesses if they were allowed to open but are still requiring face masks when in public? I honestly feel fine in a grocery store because I can pretty much keep to myself as much as i want (I do self check-out) and our state requires face masks in public but in a more confined space such as in other businesses it might be more difficult.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2020

Personally, no. I would still have concerns. I do have a mask, but I have not gone out at all, unless absolutely necessary... and necessary for me has only meant getting blood tests at the doctor's office (where I waited in the car until they called and told me that my room was ready), taking my cat to the vet (where they picked her up from the car and I waited in the car), and stopping by my classroom to pick up a document camera (when no one else was around). As far as I'm concerned, if masks are still necessary, then it's not really safe to be out in public yet. Part of that is that I don't trust myself to be cognizant of when I touch my face or random objects.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 22, 2020

If life went back to normal, I would probably only make the following changes:
    - go outdoors more often, camping, fishing, etc. Right now we can't fish as the lakes are closed, but I am still going camping, there are lots of areas where I'm miles away from people so they can't say anything. So I'm still doing my thing but I would have more options
    - I would be able to order from Amazon and get things quickly like I used to
    - I would probably visit a couple of stores that are now closed
    And that's it! I miss the gym, but I still wouldn't go, too many people there and right now it would still be a bad idea.

So it's either that my life hasn't changed much (besides working from home) or that I got used to this new way of living.

8. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 22, 2020

I'm with you. Grocery store, yes, don't have a lot of options with that one, but not close confined spaces.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 23, 2020

I have been going to a grocery store which has a limit of 50 people inside at a time. They are pretty diligent in cleaning too. I figure if they are going to do all that then the rest is up to me to keep myself safe. I don't feel the need to hide under my bed and make them deliver food to my house but I also wouldn't take unnecessary risks by hanging out in a place with hoards of people.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 23, 2020

I'm super high risk (diabetes, hypertension, asthma) so I've been only going to places that offer curbside pickup. Too many people around me aren't wearing masks, aren't following guidelines and aren't socially distancing.

bella84 and readingrules12 like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 23, 2020

The grocery stores and other stores have limited pick up time slots/delivery people so I think since I am not high risk I feel like I shouldn't take a delivery slot if I don't absolutely need it. That's why I don't mind going out. I totally agree you should stay home if you can. In my state you can't go into any public place without a mask so I don't have to worry so much.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

I don't think opening up is a smart idea. I think people are desperate to get back to normal, and I get it. However, it's too early, and we also need to find a new normal. This isn't going away; it's not just going to disappear.

13. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 23, 2020

Which makes me wonder in what manner can schools open in the fall.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

Realistically, I don't think they can. I know people are desperate to get back to normal life, but I think we will be dealing with this for a while.

mrsf70, whizkid and bella84 like this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 23, 2020

I think this is THE question.

16. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 23, 2020

I see where different people are talking about changing how the school operates if it can open back up, like three days a week or shifts (which would be a logistical nightmare).

futuremathsprof and TamiJ like this.
  17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

Dr. Fauci said schools would be open in the fall, unless he's changed since then? I trust he knows what he's talking about more than the politicians. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I think it's a possibility we can go back. It's hard to say what things are going to be like 4 months from now.

I really don't see how some of the ideas being floated around could ever work- such as having kids attend every other day or half days. That's a logistical nightmare and doesn't work for childcare. What would teachers who have children do for childcare when it's not their child's turn to attend school? If daycares are open, is that really any better for social distancing? And how do parents afford all of the extra daycare? I guess I would prefer a set up like this to having to continue only doing online, but I don't see how parents make it work, especially in lower SES communities. Higher SES communities are more likely to have one or both parents working some office type job from home, and have the ability to hire someone like a nanny to help with the weird schedule.

Tired Teacher and readingrules12 like this.
  18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

Totally. I see that as a real possibility. I really don't think COVID is going away any time real soon. As things start to open slowly, we might see schools doing a hybrid-style.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

He also says he is not "overly confident" about testing right now, and says we will have COVID in the fall (but we will be more prepared for it). I think there's really no way to know exactly how this plays out until it unfolds.

bella84 likes this.
  20. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 23, 2020

More people are saying college football is not likely this fall.

Somebody get me a key to the wine cellar now.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

Kentucky is opening up some more medical facilities starting Monday. Some diagnostic services, chiropractors, and dentists were mentioned today. My back has missed my chiropractor.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  22. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 23, 2020

I love going to the chiropractor and masseuse. I miss mine both terribly. I used to get 2-3 (Friday and Saturday) of each per week and now, nothing... :(

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 24, 2020

They already know that it's not going away soon. They didn't close everything until it's gone. I'm assuming they have certain statistics that will seem "acceptable" and then we will open. It won't be zero.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2020

No, it won't be zero cases, but there still needs to be testing and treatment, and of course a vaccine. Otherwise, there will be another wave of this.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  25. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 24, 2020

Our state superintendent has told everyone to put more learn at home processes in place and prepare budgets to spend the stimulus on technology for local students in preparation for this school shut down possibly extending in the fall.

26. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 25, 2020

Lucky!
    My school district may not even reopen this school year.
    I have trying to contend with online instruction, but it is very difficult to teach my special education students from home.
    In mid-March, I sent home a folder of work that would last 3 weeks.
    I have created a google classroom and have been assigning a couple activities (links to online websites, ideas for learning) weekly in every subject. I also ensured that students would meet or approach meeting their IEP goals. I stopped grading my students a month ago. (I have the flexibility to do that.) My goal for them is to just have fun and not stress out. I have also coordinated with the 5th/6th grade SC teacher for my 4th grader and she will continue where they left off. Next year, for my current 2nd/3rd graders, I will remediate where needed and try to start on their new grade-level content. The PK-1st SC teacher is sending out learning tasks regularly, so my 2nd graders next year will be on track. The related service staff remained in contact with the parents and me (they did virtual therapy sessions and on D-day at school-as I am calling it-sent home some materials for the kids to work with). My only goal for their learning was to ensure they have fun learning something and are able to succeed in the next grade's curriculum.
    Fortunately, everything is fine and my students are learning . The parents have been very supportive and have carried out the activities for me. I have given assessments in reading and math to see where the students are. On the last day I was in my school building, I brought home most of my teaching materials and made sure students went home with their materials. I did what I could.
    We may not return to school this year, but I made sure my students were taken care of before the giant closure and continue to do so from afar. I call the families once a week and talk to my students on the phone (to check in and work on communication skills).

I know that was long. However, for any educator who needs a little encouragement, I would like to say the following.
    Even though we are not face-to-face with our students, we are doing our absolute best to care for them and provide instruction. It is unconventional and strange, but we will be back in the classroom soon. All that matters is our student's health and the fact that they still learn something. I know, 6 hours of schooling is important and time at home can not replace that time. However, I have told the parents (who email me about what to do) that my only concern is that they have some time daily to grow whether it is academically, socially, or physically. Progress is progress, even if it does not happen in a classroom. You know what...when this is said and over, as teachers, we will fill in the gaps as always. We will pick up the pieces and continue on. Everything will be fine (even though, I did not believe this whatsoever for a couple weeks).

Yes, I have assigned learning activities on google classroom. I am not grading anything. I do check-in often with the parents. If I see a student is struggling, I try to provide different tasks. My students, specifically, can be challenging with assignments. I do not require any written work. I want students to explore. Either way, if you think holistically (like I have to), something will improve. Yes, academics are important and I have ensured ELA, math, science, and social studies instruction has continued to the greatest extent possible. I have sent links to videos, online games, etc. We are doing EVERYTHING we can. Continue with that. Continue with the check-ins and maybe assigning a few fun activities. The work I sent home was pre-printed and mean't for those few weeks (and I did have most of the parents say some of the work was completed). During those weeks where I knew the kids had work, I emailed links and fun activities. Learning is supposed to be fun, anyways...so, why not...assign FUN. (I did ask parents to try to get their children to read for a little bit or listen to a story.)
    EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE! Maybe not tomorrow....maybe not even next month, BUT EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE!

bella84 and MrsC like this.
  27. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 25, 2020

Sorry that I went on a bit of a tangent.
    I had a lot to say.

28. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Apr 25, 2020

That's a great point! Our governor just announced our hospitals here will be returning to elective surgeries etc. because those hospitals are just losing way too much money. Like member a2z said- it definitely seems as if this social-distancing was an economic decision, lol.

29. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Apr 25, 2020

When Newsom, the California governor, announced resumption of elective surgeries, he said "If [procedures] are delayed, it becomes ultimately denied". It isn't just economics, it's life and death. It doesn't take too long to get to, "well, it's ok if you die, as long as you don't die of COVID-19".

30. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2020

Umm... elective surgeries are the ones that aren't required for survival, at least not urgently. That's why they're termed, "elective".

Secondary Teach likes this.
  31. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2020

That's what I thought I thought, too... but I read an article in a local magazine yesterday in which a young girl who needed a liver transplant was lucky that she got it two weeks before the shutdowns in our area. If her family had waited only a couple of weeks, they said that she likely would have died because those surgeries are no longer being allowed right now. That sure sounds "essential" to me, but apparently it's not in the current situation.

32. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2020

Johns Hopkins explanation of elective surgery
    According to them, some elective surgeries are required for survival, they just don't have to be done immediately and can be scheduled. An example would be for a cancer surgery. You are not in immediate risk of death.

Depending on the type of cancer, you can schedule in a week. A slower growing cancer may allow for some wiggle room in timing. It may be an absolutely critical surgery to have within a certain time frame (a week or two - sometimes longer depending on the cancer), but it may still be considered elective if the patient can't wait 6 weeks which is what has happened now. That six weeks can be a death sentence and still deemed "elective".

An example of an urgent surgery is something such as appendicitis that must be done without much delay.

CaliforniaRPCV and bella84 like this.
  33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

Why don't you find a chiropractor who has a masseuse in his office? That's what I do. Kills two birds with one stone.

34. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

Good suggestion! It’s just that I like going to different masseuse because they have different techniques and specialize in different things. :)

35. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Trump raised the idea of bringing students back to classrooms in the next few weeks. “Some of you might start to think about school openings,” he said, according to an audio recording. Addressing Vice President Mike Pence, who was also on the call, he added, “I think it’s something, Mike, they can seriously consider and maybe get going on it.”
    I won't go back.

37. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 28, 2020

I think lots of teachers, principals, and governors agree with you. It isn't that they don't want to open up the schools, it has to do with these facts. In 3 days it is May and schools will be closing soon, many teachers won't return as they don't think it is safe for themselves, their students, or colleagues, and schools need some time to discuss and prepare a whole new way to open up to make it safe. There simply isn't enough time. Possibly some who have schools that continue after Memorial Day in some areas doing well such as Alaska and Montana. I really hope that it isn't in the states that still have very high numbers...which is well over half of them.

38. Tired Teacher

Apr 28, 2020

It came to Alaska more recently than the lower 48. ( The lower 48 had a head start on us.) If we don't keep the tourists out, it could hit this place. I am hoping and praying they keep the Canadian border shut and continue quarantining people who get off planes for 14 days. Most rural Alaskans could probably hunker down for months on end. The poor, elderly, and ones who live in Anchorage need to be protected.
    Also, kids go to Anchorage from here and could bring it back with them. We don't have the same health care systems as you guys here. I know several people who will not go back with me if they tell us to.

readingrules12 likes this.
  39. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 28, 2020

When I was in Alaska last summer, I stayed with a hunter and his wife was a librarian at the school. she gave me so many interesting facts about the schools there, but she also said the one thing they definitely have a handle on and that is internet connection pretty much everywhere. Because they have schools in such remote areas that you can only fly in and they're far anyways, they stay connected though online.
    So now I would think their distance / online learning is probably not a big problem.

40. Tired Teacher

Apr 29, 2020

That is true.....The schools have comps too for the kids in most places...The poor teachers in a lot of those areas are probably going stir crazy about now. No family, long term friends, and stuck at home. If you have lived there long, you might have a snow machine to just get out and ride awhile. All of my kids have internet here. It comes down to parents though. The parents have to get off the computers ( playing video games) and let the kids on!