Texas Math book adoption

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Jan 17, 2008.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2008

Our school is adopting new math books this year. Would like any information on

Texas Math (Houghton-Miffllin)
    Texas Math (Mcgraw)
    Everday Math
    Harcourt (Holt)

Bridges
    envision
    saxon

How long have you been using them?Do you like them? What about them that you like? Do you hate them? Why?

Thanks for ANY info that you can give us!!!!!

ps. Im in kinder but will take any information from anygrade level.

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jan 17, 2008

I know that Houghton-Mifflin was producing a math series that aligns with your state's standards and benchmarks. It was set to roll out this year unless they were able to get production going late last year.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2008

Yes they are I just info from teachers who are all ready using these Math books. We have the sample products and we are going over them with fine tooth combs so to speak. I want info from people who are down in the trenches all ready using these. Thanks so much.

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 18, 2008

We use the Houghton-Mifflin California edition and I detest it for the following reasons:

1. There are too many problems for each lesson. If I assigned all of the guided practice and application problems we would never do anything else.

2. There are not enough problems that review previous material. I have to supplement a great deal for spiral review.

3. The problem solving lessons are very difficult for the students to follow when questions are asked that haven't been led up to in the lessons.

4. The book is huge and heavy.

5. The teacher's edition drives me crazy. The answers are not always provided; when they are provided they are not always correct, and the red printing does bad things to my eyes.

I was much happier when we were using Excel.

6. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jan 18, 2008

We are using Everyday math this year. I like it so far. It does require a lot of prepping with making games and stuff. The kids love it. I felt the need to supplement the lessons with my own back up materials. They feel mastery isn't important, just that the child is exposed to different concepts at different times during the year. And they do build complexity into the re visiting of each concept. It took some getting used to with all the jumping around from concept to concept but I am seeing the students 'getting' it.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 18, 2008

Our entire school system has been using Harcourt Math (2004 edition). I can't wait for a new series.

Harcourt math is seriously lacking in number sense and number resognition, which to me is by far one of the most important areas of math.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2008

Really dislike Harcourt Math. I'm suspicious as to why it was adopted since no one I know of in our system wanted it. Got to wonder if there was some kind of kick back. It's useless.