Texas EC-4 Question as relates to new EC-6

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by wannateachintx, Mar 27, 2009.

1. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

Hi all. I haven't posted in a very long time but keep up with the site regularly. I am currently certified to teach ec-4. I realize that Texas is changing to EC-6 this summer. I was wondering if anyone knew how that affects those of us who are ec-4 certified. Would we need to take the ec-6 test or would we need a supplemental one for grades 5/6. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hollie

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

I haven't heard any news of what EC-4'ers will have to do in order to gain the additional grade levels. I would imagine a supplemental will have to be created.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 27, 2009

You are still certified to teach ec-4 - you don't need to do anything unless you want to teach 5-6.

5. excitedteacher

excitedteacher Rookie

May 5, 2009

Does anyone have any advice on what to study for EC-4 generalist content exam?

6. wifeofa coach

wifeofa coach Rookie

May 9, 2009

I studied the large orange book by Janice Nath (Preparing for the Texas Pre K - 4 Teacher Certification) and the study guide online. Both of these were really good resources...........

7. excitedteacher

excitedteacher Rookie

May 21, 2009

Im taking the ec-4 generalist in two weeks. I have taken it before and didnt score high enough. Does any one have any suggestions on what is the best study guide to go by. I'm really count on a pass for this exam. Everyone said the special education exam was harder than ec-4 but I passed the special education exam the first time around. So I'm really hoping to pass the ec-4 this go around. Thanks for any input. I really appreciate it.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

The scoring guide that works really well for one person may not work for another, excitedteacher. What's your sense of where you came up short last time?

9. TxTeacher86

TxTeacher86 New Member

Feb 5, 2010

I called A+ Texas Teachers to ask the same question. They said as of yesterday, no one in Texas can register for the Ec-4 test. They also said that if you already have your EC-4 certification and are already a full time teacher, than you don't have to do anything as far as 5-6 (as of now). However, if you have become EC-4 certified recently and are not currently teaching full time, your certification is basically void and you will need to take the EC-6 test.

I am so frustrated by this because I have been studying for the EC-4 since December. Now, I'm trying to find study guides for EC-6 and I'm only able to find about two.

10. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Feb 8, 2010

I first took the EC-6 test in October. It's the only one my school would recomend me for. There were no books out during that time for EC-6 so I studied EC-4 material. I was told to print out released TAKS tests for grades 3 and up. They have a lot of the material that you will need to know for the exam. I'm studying for the test now (didn't pass it the first time around) and found that some of the stuff on the TAKS test was, in some way or another, on the EC-6 test. :) It is frustrating to study for a test when you have nothing to actually study.

11. teachertaz

teachertaz New Member

Feb 10, 2010

I talked to SBEC the other day and was told that the EC4 test will be offered through June 2010. The problem is that if you are in the ATCP program you still need a year internship. You have to do the internship during the 2010 - 2011 school year. Because the last acceptance of the qualification for ec4 certification has to be completed by aug 2011. If it is not completed then you have to take the EC6 test and start from scratch.

12. PassionateHelpe

PassionateHelpe New Member

Mar 30, 2010

EC-6 Exam

Hi Newteacher26,

Have you taken and successfully passed the EC-6 Exam? If so do you have any advice for those of us who may be studying for it. I actually took the exam last week, but haven't received the results yet. The suspense is killing me. The test wasn't at all what I expected.

Thanks in advance for your response!:wub:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, PassionateHelpe.

Here's a hug. And breathe, please.

14. SAHMnowteacher

SAHMnowteacher New Member

Jun 18, 2010

HAs anyone took EC-4 AND EC-6? Need advice!

I took EC-4 and passed the first time BUT the school wants me as a fifth grade teacher. I now am studying for EC-6. Has anyone taken both and could tell me the differences. I also would like to hear from anyone who has passed EC-6 and what they studied. I am going over my EC-4 notes, an EC-6 study guide (which does not seem to be very helpful), TeXes Study guide AND I plan on taking both the 5th and 6th grade TAXS test that were just released. Any other suggestion would be helpful!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2010

Try comparing the test frameworks that are in the respective online study guides; doing so will give you insight as to the similarities and differences.

Then figure out if there are areas in the framework that give you particular worry, and ask about them here.