Texas contract question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lyquidphyre, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

When are letters of resignation due in Texas? I was originally told June 30th but now I'm hearing July 14th. I figured I would hold off the job hunt until after letters are turned in because at the moment there are no positions available for HS Biology which = no chance of an interview

3. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 10, 2007

It used to be June 30, but with school pushed back most dates are sometime this week. So Monday should be a feild day for those not yet hired!!!!!!

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Never put off a job hunt in Texas. Most teachers start making decisions about changes after Spring Break in March. That is when I started applying for another position at another district. The district I'm currently at likes all of their staffing needs met before school is out ideally.

Our contracts were "due" in April, but the last day to get "out" of that contract was June 30. I was hired at another district and got out of my contract on June 29! That was cutting it close!

There will be another wave of hiring in August since most principals take vacation in July. Most of those teachers will be first year teachers since they are not locked into a contract.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

One more thing, there seem to be more openings for high school science this year due to the testing standards that are changing in the next year. Don't give up and you have to be agressive in your search! Good Luck!!!

6. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I am pretty sure that it is Thursday the 12th of July. Good luck!

7. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

That makes me feel better. Right now I've emailed a zillion principals and only one had an opening (had an interview with them) and so I didn't know when I should make my 2nd round of emails.. so I'm guessing Friday or that following Monday would be a good time to attack =oP

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

We are desperate for a science teacher in my building!

9. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Our letters of resignation are due no later than 45 days prior to the first day of instruction. I think this is pretty much the statewide standard.

10. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I actually have a related question to teaching contracts in Texas. I have recently been offered (and accepted) a position as kindergarten teacher. I was told the recommendation would be made Monday morning to the administration and school board. The school board meeting is next Monday night. Am I to assume that I have to wait until they "approve" in order to sign it or get into my classroom? I'm anxious to start working and seeing what I got and what I need to get.

11. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Usually yes, although if you wer given a letter of assurance or something similar, your principal may allow you in, especially if others are there and you wont need "keys"

What can it hurt to ask? It does nothing but show amition and the worst they can say is that you'll have to wait until Monday!!!

12. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Here in Cowtown (Fort Worth), the individual school offices are closed, but the custodians are in and working. They are letting teachers at my building in their classrooms (thank the Lord, because I NEED to be here), and our new First Grade teacher was here yesterday working on her room. The principal called the head custodian and told him to expect the teacher. You might try seeing if your principal will do that.

Congratulations!!!!

13. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

That commute might be rather long (DFW to Houston) :D

14. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Ok dumb question here. Do you sign your contract before the board meeting to approve it or after? I'm really new to all this stuff.

15. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 12, 2007

After, I am currently waiting on the board!!!