Texas Again

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

If you have managed to get hired in Texas, what did you do to get the position? What sites did you utilize for jobs?

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

I was hired last year in Texas.

Google what regions in Texas you are interested in working in.
    For example, I googled Region 4 for Houston. Then, find where they list each school district in their region. Go to each school district website and look for positions in what you teach. Then, DROP your resume off in person! Applying online is like a lost black hole, they may see your stuff they may not. Just my thoughts :)

4. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Yeah I did that and I am applying with districts that are up to an hour and a half away.

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I would recommend looking up a list of charter schools in your area. They are not always listed on the ESC websites. They often list openings on Craigslist and monster.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

Nangel, are you near DFW or Houston?

7. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I am in the Austin area.

8. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

Any tips/leads for the DFW area?

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Same with Austin!

10. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I just got hired in Texas. I looked at a map of all the school districts in Texas and made a list of any and every school district I was willing to work/live in. Then I started applying to every one. I also made a list of every private school that I was willing to work at/live near. I checked every school/district on my list once a week. In each cover letter I wrote specifics about how I would fit some need they have or how I would fit in with the school culture.

Be careful about applying in person or emailing principals. Many school districts have a message posted on their website that says if you contact the principal first or apply in person it automically disqualifies you.

11. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Most of them were ok with emailing. I only ran across one district that had the message.

12. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

13. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Anyone have any luck with Spring Branch ISD in Houston? I am trying to get hired there, but they don't list campus openings, so my only option really is to email principals not knowing if there is an opening or not.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2011

Did you go to the SB job fair?

15. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 26, 2011

No I didn't know they had one. Most Houston area school district (Katy, Fort Bend and even Region 4) either didn't have one or cancelled their job fair. I had checked SBISD for job fairs but didn't see any. I really have no clue how to get in with that district.

16. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 26, 2011

Just keep applying...my first year (2yrs ago) I had nearly given up and then someone suggested a district 45 miles from my house, I called to verify the opening, sent my resume and was hired the next day. I feel I just got really lucky...it was less than a week b/f teachers were schd to start. Hang in there and keep trying.

17. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

I applied with 5 main districts around the area where I am right now and then I branched out. I applied with Region 9 for all of the districts there and a few in Region 20 that I was interested in. I had probably 30 applications out there if you were to break down the Region applications as individual district applications. Of those 30, I got called for 4 interviews in my immediate area.

I would say don't get discouraged though. A lot of districts are just now getting their budget together to where they can begin to hire people. So you may get called for an interview within a week or the day before school starts! A colleague of mine had the latter happen, she was hired 2 days before school started last year.

18. matt24601

matt24601 Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I am in the DFW area but I understand the frustrations of the hiring process statewide. There is a fairly new website called wherecaniteach.com It is basically a free search tool that allows you to select your geographical location, your years of experience, and your salary requirements. It will then return the schools/districts that meet your criteria. They have all current salary info on DFW schools and are adding the major metropolitan areas in Texas right now. Great free tool! Definitely fills the gap in employment searches.