Texas ACPs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by horned_Frog89, Nov 4, 2014.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Nov 4, 2014

I'm an accountant by trade, looking to go into teaching. Middle school math, most likely. A dream would be business for high schoolers. Anyways, I don't have much experience in terms of subbing or tutoring, but I've done hooplas of presentations/explanation seminars for college and for my current job (not that that's even close to teaching, but it is what it is).

I've been looking at a few ACPs and have had a few suggestions thrown out. So realistically, do Texas (DFW) districts hire ACP folks? I doubt I'd be able to do the Student teaching for financial reasons, but I would get 15-30 hours of classroom observation.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2014

We hired three. One quit last week, one is on an improvement plan, and the third should be fired.

It'll depend on the competition. We hired every one who applied due to desperation.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2014

That depends on the district. I know some districts will hire ACPs and some that won't even look at them. Being in the DFW area, the bigger districts will probably be your best bet.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

I'm much further South in Texas, but we also have hired them. I actually went through that program-it was over 15 years ago though. The benefit is you haven't established any habits that might go against what the district wants you to do. You tend to be more pliable to direction because of your lack of experience.

6. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Nov 5, 2014

Thanks! This has been helpful! I actually got a recommendation for the ACP I will most likely be using from another individual on this board. She was successful in getting a job as well as the entire class. I also looked up their rating on the NCTQ website and they have one of the best hiring rates.

7. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Nov 5, 2014

I just completed an ACP program in Texas (I'm in NC). I passed my business content Texes and started applying for business teacher positions about 2 months ago. I've gotten one call for an interview. The phone interview went well, but I didn't get the position. I haven't seen a lot of openings for business teachers in the past month. I've thought about increasing my content area, but just haven't had the time to do that yet.

8. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Nov 5, 2014

I actually started this process quite a while ago, and just haven't gone through with it. Changing careers is scary! But back then, I originally asked the ACP I am going through about Business teachers and unfortunately, she said many schools are doing away with the programs. So I ended up taking the Generalist 4-8 test. I may take the Business test in the future, but opening as many doors as possible is the focus right now.