Texas ACP Question. Which program?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by klc92201, Sep 11, 2010.

1. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Sep 11, 2010

I am currently in the I Teach Texas ACP program. I have passed my TEXES exam and am trying to complete my coarse work. The problem is that you have to get a teaching postition in two years or you have to pay more money to extend the program. I think they kind of miss led me as I didn't join until late May and then I studied for my tests so I really couldn't apply to school districts until really late in the game. So while I was studying to pass my TEXES test, I didn't realise I should have been completing my online coarses and really started them in August after I passed my last TEXES exam in July. So now I have two months to complete the coarse or I have to pay another $300 to extend the study time. Then I have to get a job for the next school year or I have to pay $1000 to extend the time on finding the intern. I feel really dupped and if I would have know I would have enrolled in the program now and had the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school year to get a job. Because I enrolled in late may they count this 2010-2011 as my 1st year out of two to get a job. Does that seem right?

Which programs are good? How long are my TEXES exams good before I have to retake them? How long are the finger prints etc that I paid for good? Should I just try to finish and with them or go somewhere else? I just feel like there is no guarantee's with them, they don't help you at all or guide you in what's next, for me it has been a guessing game. I get no help with employement advice or where and when to apply? I asked about what I should submit and the lady sent me to the website where it just said one paragraph.

There has to be a better program.

3. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 11, 2010

From what I've heard from other ACP candidates they're all pretty bad. They keep telling people that it is really easy to get a job (which it isn't unless you are in a high demand specialty and even then there's lots of competition). I think that most programs have the same time requirements to finish the internship and get certified.

As part of my masters I had the option of doing an ACP internship to get certifed and was told that they had a 100% placement rate for their ACP students. I tried to do that and their "placement" help was a joke. They still tried to tell people they had a 100% placement rate even after only 2 out of over 30 students who started when I did got a job.

It's really on you to go the extra mile in looking for jobs. Don't give up on this school year. There are still quite a few jobs being posted every day. A few people I know managed to get midyear replacement positions as ACP candidates. If you want info on any specific programs (in the Houston area), PM me.

4. itsmejenni

itsmejenni Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

Hey, unrelated question. I heard Texas was great for finding a new job as a new teacher, Any idea if thats true?

5. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Sep 12, 2010

Texas is a tough market as well. If you are outside the DFW or Houston Area I have been told it is easier. We have districts in Dallas that are on a hiring freeze, others that got so many applicants that they didn't offer anymore screening intervyiews. The district we are in is smaller and they said normally they would have 100 or so applicant for every position this year they had over a $1000. I am an ACP canadiate so I applied with every school district in the Dallas Area, over 300 positions and got one interview.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 12, 2010

Where are you in Texas? I went through HISD's ACP program and that was years ago and I had difficulty finding a job (they had over 900 ACP candidates at the time! :eek:) I didn't have a problem with the program itself though. I don't know what you should do in your situation-if you are really uncomfortable with this company maybe seeking out another one wouldn't be a bad thing. There are many out there that are really just in it for the money-not really caring if you are actually prepared.

itsmejenni-it really depends on what part of Texas. Houston's changed it's interview process to even get in the applicant pool-it's much more extensive-I've known of some really good candidates who didn't make it through the process. Our school typically has several openings every year (just people retiring or moving up the ladder to admin) however we do get a number of applicants for those positions.

7. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

I heard HISD acp is kinda funny with money. Lots of hidden cost. Texas teachers was good to me. Its 385 up front and they don't charge you the rest till you get a job I believe.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

I have a friend that went through IteachTexas. She was lucky enough to be working as an aide when mid year a teacher quit so she was able to step in.

Texas is becoming a hard state to get a teaching job in with many districts having to cut their budgets or being in a shortfall. There may be rural areas that need teachers, but I can't say 100% that that's correct.

I'm not sure what to do about your situation. It does seem a little on the screwy side.

9. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

I went through Region 4 since many school districts use it for professional development. I also went through it because it is very demanding and I wanted to learn a lot. I started in April and finished first of Aug while taking my content exam in July.
    Many of my classmates were not working, but I also work fulltime so I did my classwork at night and on Sundays (I spent Sat w/the kiddos). My average week workload was about 16 hours.
    As for the Houston market it is completely saturated for EC-6 (mine). I applied at 6 school districts, emailed and dropped off at more than 40 schools and got nothing. I did have an interview for a charter school but that is all I got this year.
    Also, the two largest school districts near me are not hiring subs this year (There goes my Spring plan). They are full!
    However if you are bilingual with Spanish - come on down! Every school district needs you and most will pay you a stippend if you teach in a bilingual class!

10. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

I was thinking about it more and this is what I think. They all probably tell you what you want to hear so you sign up and they get your money. As for finding a job - as long as it has a reputable name they are all equal. Finding a job comes down to experience, knowing the right people (who can get you on an interview list), and being at the right place at the right time!

11. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 12, 2010

Last year when I applied as an ACP I applied to 28 districts around Texas (Houston, CenTex, East Texas) and only had 1 interview. This year I've applied to over 80 districts (Houston, East Texas, CenTex, Metroplex, Witchita Falls, Corpus, South Texas) and had 9 interviews as a fully certifed teacher (EC-4, 4-8 generalist, and 8-12 social studies). There are some jobs to be found in rural areas, but there is still quite a bit of competition and it comes down to who you know. In some of those small towns you don't have a chance without knowing someone.

The market is just really tough and is worse than last year due to some large districts RIFing people and changing their process.

12. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Sep 12, 2010

So I got to thinking. I actually got a good job in Accounting that has a good hours. So what do you think about going back to get my Masters? In Education, of coarse. It would take me 2.5 to 3 years but by then I hope the market would be better and the I would have my certification and my master which is a goal of mine? Or would you try to get hired next school year with ACP and then go back later and get your masters?

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

I have no idea on this one as I am not in a place to get a masters right now (use to two incomes and two in daycare). However, from reading the site I would say a pro of the masters:
    More experience and more knowledge - I know of a principal who throws out any resume without an elementary education degree.
    A con would be you start as a higher cost to the school without "teaching" experience. If during that period you can get experience as well to compliment the masters who would have a much better chance than someone like me with just an ACP (and no real experience).

14. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 12, 2010

I got my initial certification through a masters in education. Even though I got more interviews this year, I'm still not on the same level (in the eyes of some administrators) as people with undergrad degrees in education. The biggest advantage is that I am fully certified because I did student teaching. However, teach'ntx is right that as someone with a masters you do cost the district more. I'm terrified that that is why I didn't get a job. When a district has the choice between a another candidate and I, why choose me and pay me more if we neither one have experience. This is especially pertinent with so many districts having budget problems.

If you are willing to move and are vigilant about putting yourself out there it is possible to get a position in Texas as an ACP. The masters may help for some jobs, but if you'll still have to jump through all the hoops because the teaching market isn't going to get better than it currently is (at least for a while).

15. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Sep 13, 2010

I have a degree in education and had a really hard time finding a job this year. My program allowed us to do either internship (1 year teacher of record) or student teaching. I chose to do internship - bad idea. I sent out countless resumes, went to about 6 or 7 job fairs, tried to network ... and nothing. I talked to my school and decided to go back and do my student teaching instead. It's not going to guarantee me a job, but from what I've been hearing at the school I'm ST in, principals like to hire people they know - whether it be through student teaching or subbing. This year my home district did not hire anyone who didn't student teach last year. Schools just aren't hiring like before, even though they really do need teachers.

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 13, 2010

I have heard what newteacher26 is saying as well. They hire students who graduated from their school district first, student teachers who worked in their school district, and then it goes from there....

17. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 15, 2010

Newteacher26, that describes me to a "T". I had no choice but to do an internship because I couldn't afford to quit my job for 3 months to ST. If I don't have a teaching position by next fall, I'm going to go ahead and quit to ST & then I'll be fully certified. The only thing I wish more people would look at is my para experience. Even though it isn't exactly teaching, it IS classroom experience, and I've begun my 5th year at it. So.....I've applied to every place I can, and I'm sending out reminder emails. I pray I DO find a job so I don't have to quit. *Keeping fingers crossed*

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2010

I went the traditional route to teaching, but we had several people who were paras in schools when we were ready to ST. Our college allowed them to count that as their STing. They just had to make sure to present lessons when the supervisors came to evaluate them.