Tex, our lizard, is going downhill fast

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lemonhead, Jul 5, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

One of our pet lizards is sick. I noticed her skin getting lighter the other day but thought she was getting ready to shed. She is lethargic and can't keep her eyes open tonight. She is usually a pretty, light tangerine color and she is ivory. Her body is soft and not firm like usual. My son is just devastated.

If you have it in you to pray for a lizard and my son to handle this, please do. Her name is Tex and she is sweet and adorable. I found a reptile vet close by and will get her there first thing in the morning if she can make it. :(

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2009

I am so sorry. I hope she makes it through the night and she can be helped by the vet. Please keep us updated.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Awww Lemon - I hope your lizard will be okay and quickly healed by the vet tomorrow. I pray your son will not have to experience the death of a pet yet. Please keep us posted

5. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Try to handle her as little as possible. Is she a leopard gecko? Make sure she has a warm hide. The vet will need a stool sample so if you have a pretty fresh one bring it. You can store it in a zip loc bag in the fridge. If you don't have one, it it is okay.
    I will say a prayer as I know what it is like to have a sick lizard. Wishing you good vibes!:)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Saying prayers! Keep us updated.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 6, 2009

Aw, sorry to hear Tex is sick. She's a pet, and any sick pet is hard on the family. Hugs to you and little lemon.

8. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 6, 2009

I have it in me to ask my whole family to pray for a friend's lizard. You've got me, my mom, and about 20 aunts, uncles, and cousin's praying for your whole family - 4 legged members included. I hope everything turns out well.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

Thank you friends :hugs:

She is still sick. She seems a tad better. I was up staring at her cage until 2 am. She started shedding and it was so sad. She had hardly any energy to rub against the rock. Her color is better since she shed. She is so soft though. not firm like she used to be, and very lazy. She has lost weight. My son cried himself to sleep but he is in better spirits today. It is really heartbreaking seeing him so upset. He has such a huge heart.

The vet that handles reptiles was closed today for the holiday. :(

I am thinking she may have a calcium overload or parasites of some sort.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

Hope he's better soon.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 6, 2009

do you have some kind of animal emergency vet?

12. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 6, 2009

I lost my chameleon and a lot of these symptoms sound familiar. I took him to the vet and they had me give him fluids intraveneously. After a few days I lost him anyway. The chemical levels in his body were beserk. I will pray for you and your family. I cried and cried for days.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 6, 2009

So sorry Lemon. Prayers coming for Tex and your son. Is Tex your only pet? Not that it matters I was just wondering.

Hugs.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

No, she is not the only one. We have Taz and Emma. Taz is a juvenile leopard gecko and we've had her for 2 weeks. Tex is a beautiful tangerine enigma leopard gecko we've had since Christmas, she is probably 6 in gecko years and Emma is a common green anole (kept separately).

There is an emergency vet that takes lizards but my husband thinks it will be too expensive. (I know) Anyway, we can get her in in the morning.

She needs to go to the bathroom so I have something to bring in.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 6, 2009

could taz have brought something with her frm the pet store that tex caught?

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

That could be and why I am thinking it could be a parasite. The other thing we did was put out this calcium vitamin D suplement and she may have had too much. I took it away so we'll see. She isn't eating today either.

I need to bring in stool samples of both I guess and have them see.

17. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

With leos use the calcium without vit d. They need 100% calcium. I know I said not to handle her but a bath may help. Try to give her maybe a short bath in tepid water. Just enough to coat her back slightly for five mins. This might help if she is impacted. By chance if she has a movement in the water do not collect that one. They need to be fresh. This is just experience I have had with my lizards. You will do what is best for yours. I really hope you can get her in soon.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

I hope she is ok, poor thing!

A word of caution about the emergency vet: do they actually know anything about lizards, or are they just willing to see them? We learned the hard way that emergency vets can be a huge waste of time, stress, and money. We took our cockatiel to a huge, respected emergency clinic 90 minutes away when she was showing egg binding signs; we called first. They did an x-ray, kept her warm, and said, "sorry, take her to avian vet", and charged us $600. We took her to the regular (board certified) avian vet the next morning and they redid the x-ray since it wasn't the proper angle and we ended up with a bill for over $2600 (and they were kind and gave us a huge break to make up for the wasted emergency bill). (this story is about 3 yrs and $4000 total in vet bills ago, but our 13 yr old tiel is full of energy and happy and recovered, so it has a very happy ending). I so hope yours does to.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Okay, back from the regular vet who does reptiles as well.

Unfortunatley, I did not have fresh stool and he couldn't analyze either Tex's or Taz's

He says he felt something up in Tex and believes she is impacted. He also thinks she is not eating because her tummy is telling her she is full becaus of the impaction (word?) or because she has a bacterial infection.

He had to wedge her mouth open and give her mineral oil for a laxative. :( I have to do that twice a day. He also gave her a vitamin A,D,and E shot in her arm and an antibiotic in her other arm. My son left the room for that part. She only weighed 60 grams so she lost a lot of weight.

So now we are praying for her to pass whatever is lodged up there.

I have to bring her back in 3 days if she is not any better.

It was $81 which is much better than how you faired Molly. Thanks for letting me know about that.

20. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Glad to hear she was able to be seen. Make sure to collect a sample when she does pass it. The vet's office should still be able to do a fecal float. It usually costs me $12.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

The only experience with lizards I have had are the ones that run around outside all the time. But pets are precious and I hope yours recovers quickly.

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

I am so glad you were able to get treatment for Tex. I hope it works so Tex will feel better too :)

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

I'm glad this sounds treatable and promising!

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks everyone. It looks much more promising than it did.

Shiela, thanks for that info. I'll do that.

Becky, I know, that was my only experience as well. These are different and we love them.:) We still will keep a few of the regular geckos for a little while in the summer but then let them go.

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 7, 2009

Glad things are looking better for Tex.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Thanks Jamie. She still hasn't eaten but hopefully this antibiotic and the other things will help her.

27. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Gotta love those pets!

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

And the vets that at least make you feel like you've done something.

29. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I am glad the vet could help you out. I hope Tex passes whatever it is and gets better! I cried when I had to take my guinea pig to the vet for mites. Pets are such a wonderful part of the family.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Oh I love guinea pigs!

I just got done giving Tex her mineral oil laxative. She hated it and then fell right back to sleep immediately when I put her back in her cage. I tried to hand feed her a cricket-she would have nothing to do with it. She used to eat 10.

31. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Keep us posted.

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Okay, just got back from the vet and I am a little ticked off.

When we went on Tuesday, Tex weighed in at 60 grams. Today she weighed 44 grams. There was no way she lost that much weight. So then they discovered that she was weighed wrong on Tuesday so we have no idea how much more weight she lost. It would be nice to know if it was just a gram or two or if she by chance even gained.

She hasn't gone to the bathroom yet or eaten anything either. She seems a little more alert so that is good.

Dr. said besides the antibiotic, which we got the second dose of today, there is nothing much else he can do for her.

He can give her another vitamin injection next week but isn't sure if that will do anything. Apparently they enigma leopard geckos have very slow metabolism so if this is a bug of some sort, it can take a long time...not sure if she can hold out without eating.

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

I just wanted to let everyone know that Tex is finally eating. She finally went to the bathroom Saturday night and I think whatever was blocking her up is gone.

Thank you all for your prayers. She looks so much better and is resting comfortably:)

34. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

glad she is better :)

35. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

Yay!

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

I'm glad, lemon!!!

37. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

good:)

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2009

Oh that is great. I was a little nervous to come read this post. So happy Tex is back to normal!

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

I'm glad your lizard is getting better!