tests for kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Iris228, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

I teach K in a private school in which I am the only K classroom. In a convention recently I met another teacher from our branch of schools who is the only K teacher in her building too. We were discussing some of the things we do in our classrooms and debating how much academics/play there "should be" in our classrooms. I personally believe that students learn best through play at this age. However, I also use my time to do shared reading, guided reading (though I do not have leveled books available in my school so I am "winging it" in a sense), and independent reading in my LA block. She told me that she uses spelling tests to assess in her classroom and suggested that I should be doing this as well so that my K kids will be ready for the tests they will encounter in first grade. I am a first year teacher so any advice on this would be appreciated. I don't want my kids to be "behind" or unprepared when they get to first. How do you run your LA block and do you think spelling tests are a good idea?

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 13, 2007

It is paramount to build a love of reading and writing through language arts starting at Kindergarten. Focusing on spelling is an unnecessary complication and might turn students off of reading or writing. Let them flow with the story they are writing. Let them read age appropriate literature, or hear it read aloud if they aren't reading yet.

Just because they will eventually have to face spelling tests does not mean they should in Kindergarten. And besides, it isn't developmentally appropriate to learn to spell before you learn to read and write. Just say no :)

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 14, 2007

Thanks for the input. I really worry about my little ones being pushed so hard! However, I don't want them to be behind when they get into the public school and move into first grade. I too feel like spelling tests will diminish their enjoyment of reading and writing because they focus on rote memorization on words out of context. I hope my K's will be ready for first!
    Thanks again!

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 14, 2007

Shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading will all prepare your students for first, rest assured. You're doing the right thing, developmentally.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2007

I teach 1st in a public school and no way would I think it would be ok for a kindergartner to have spelling tests. Trust me they will be OK.

7. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 14, 2007

It's funny, I was just having a conversation with a first grade teacher about something quite similar today.
    Our discussion focused around this question:
    How many words are Kindergarten children responsible for spelling correctly? In K, do they HAVE to learn how to write certain high fequency words. I would love to hear your thoughts.

8. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Quite honestly, I am not sure what really K's need to be responsible for to enter first. I find that my students are all over the place as far as writing capabilities go. I tend to encourage my kids to take chances and to try their best to spell on their own. They have their own journals where I do not provide prompts for spelling words, though I have a word wall that they can use to help if they choose.

Some can write many words correctly, while others are still spelling phonetically. When we do shared writing that is when I help help spell and model correct writing. I too would like to know other teachers' thoughts b/c I don't push correct spelling in my classroom.