Tests and weight tables

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chalk, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 1, 2010

Hi gang

for those of you who, like me, construct weight tables for your tests and exams.

Do you share the tables with your students or their parents.

I have been told yes and no and figured I get some input from you guys.

Those who don't make the tables (at least for the big tests) how do you balance your grading and what grading methodology do you use?

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

Our school wide grading scale is set for us.

50% Tests
    30 % Classwork
    10% Homework/Projects
    10% Class Participation

I make all of my tests worth 100, and classwork and such always has different points. Hope this helps

4. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 1, 2010

It does help.

Its interesting to me,

How do you assess class participation?
    If you don't mind me asking.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2010

My school policy is:

1/3 Tests
    1/3 Quizzes, homework, class particip
    1/3 Trimester Exam.

6. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

I usually don't include much of this...we have to have at least 1 grade with each topic to make it average right. I usually give a 100 at the end of the nine weeks. I base it on participation, behavior, homework. Typically most get a full 100, but we have to watch because that one tiny 100 can boost some of them wayyyyy up to the next letter grade. This is something our team has been talking about for a while...we're hoping to drop it! lol

7. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 2, 2010

Nine weeks exam 25% (comprehensive exam given at the end of each nine week period)

Test 50% (test are worth 100 points)

Daily 25% (includes in-class assignments, homework, and quiz grades)

8. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jul 3, 2010

Thanks for the responses.

Do any of you feel that a test constitutes a summative assessment of mastery for skills and concepts?

The reason I ask has to do with something that was brought to my attention last week. I was given the following example and it made me wonder about how I grade.

Example: A student who does no work at all during a semester yet passes every test with 100%. The grading system has tests valued at 50%, homework at 25%, classwork at 15% and "class effort" at 10%.

The argument was made that if tests are the measurement of mastery than a students who passes all test at 100% will receive an F at the end of the semester. How is it justifiable for a student who demonstrates mastery to still fail?

I and some of my cohorts tried to toss up some arguments but its hard to get past the math of it.

How would you have responded to the above argument?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

I think that, in this example, the grading scale doesn't match the philosophy.

If the philosophy of the class (or the school) is that it's all about mastery of the material, then tests should be the only thing that matters. Taking notes, class participation, even attendance, shouldn't matter as long as the kids can demonstrate mastery. A kid who does all his learning at home could still get his 100.

But in many schools, it's not all about the material. It's about learning, and being part of a learning community. The material matters, but so do some of those peripheral things-- contribution to class discussions for example. It seems like that's more the philosophy of the school with the grading scale you described.

I would also question exactly what's going on in that class if it's possible to do no work at all and still get 100% on every test.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

I use for my honors classes:
    40% Tests
    30% Quizzes
    20% Homework/Classwork
    10% Participation

Final Exams are 20% of their overall grades.