Tests & Absences

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherApr, Sep 21, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 21, 2010

As I'm sitting home sick today, I began thinking of many students in my classroom who are gone A LOT on Fridays. There is one student in particular who has been gone every Friday except ONE this year! So, he only as 1 test grade so far for the quarter in Reading and Math.

I would like to hear other teacher's takes on what kinds of things you do when faced with this situation? Do you begin giving them zeros after so many absences? Do you send the tests home? Do you have them do them on their own time (during recess without any assistance?)

* I would have my students stay in at recess to do them but I have so many low kids that it would end up eating my time as I read the questions and answer choices to them...

Any helpful suggestions will be welcomed! :)

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Sep 21, 2010

I would sometimes have "Free Reading Time" for those who were finished with all their work. Those who had outstanding tests, took their test at that time.

Or, work with another teacher who would allow the student to miss their class in order to make up a test in yours.

I would not send a test home.

4. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 21, 2010

My students are expected to finish any tests the day they return. For my slower workers, I will allow them to miss a classwork assignment to finish the test, then send the classwork home. I never send a test home or give a zero for a missed test. I would give an exemption if you don't want him to make it up. If it is a spelling test, let the others read quietly while you work with him. You also mention reading tests to the child. I try not to give tests that the children can't read themselves. I will read unfamiliar words to the children, but I don't sit with one child and read the whole test unless it is an unusual circumstance.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

I do not make up weekly math fact and spelling tests. I did have one that was absent a lot of Fridays (ok, just a lot of days!), but I didn't have time to chase her down for it the next week.

I do have kids make up "big" tests - 9 weeks reading assessments, etc.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 21, 2010

I do not have the time to give 3 different reading tests and 3 different math tests as well as to create them myself. My class does not all read at the same level. Our district tests as well as state tests are given orally by me to the students. Therefore, I read the tests to them. The tests are at a 2nd grade level but this student is not at a 2nd grade level so...in order for him to be successful, I need to read the test.

7. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 22, 2010

My reading assessments are different from my reading tests. I assess each individual child's level, but it is not a grade. Our reading tests are based on the reading story and skill I taught that week. It is written on a 2nd grade level and all students must take it. We use Scott Foresman, so it is on the computer. Same for the math tests. I want the report card to show the child's ability on 2nd grade work. I do plenty of remediation and enrichment in class, but the test is on the 2nd grade level.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 22, 2010

I see. We do Harcourt and it's all paper and pencil tests.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2010

My kids have until the end of the marking period to make up any missed tests.

Of course, the further they get from learning the information, the lower the makeup grades tend to be, so I encourage them to make them up fairly soon.