Testing Snafu

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Missy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 18, 2018

So, the standardized testing site was down for the ENTIRE state of Ohio today.
    Would like to be able to hold them accountable, as they do to us.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2018

That happened in my state a few years ago, except that it lasted throughout the entire testing window. I think our state sued the testing company. It was a mess.

otterpop and a2z like this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 18, 2018

That's horrible. We had this trouble with the PARCC last year. It onlty lasted about an hour for us, but it was a real nusiance nonetheless. With all the money the state pays these for-profit corporations for the testing, you would think they could at least design a functioning test. There were never these issues with paper and pencil tests.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  5. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Apr 18, 2018

Yep, I'm in Ohio, and we had this happen today! What a chaotic, confusing situation.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 18, 2018

They say it is back up and ready for tomorrow; we’ll see!

ssgirl11 likes this.
  7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 18, 2018

We had a snafu today! Delayed my students while others finished their tests first.

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 19, 2018

I just had a horrible thought. What if someone hacks the tests?!

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 19, 2018

Would that really be so horrible?

otterpop, 3Sons and Obadiah like this.
  10. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2018

With the amount of money they're using, they should really go to computer-adaptive testing.

CAD tests score automatically and base the questions on the student's performance. For example, if the student gets the first two questions correct, the third question presented will be a more difficult one. If they get that right also, the system will present increasingly difficult questions until the taker gets a wrong answer.

What this means is that the one taking the test will only do a limited set of questions and be done with the test far, far sooner than a usual test. I took the GMAT this way and the entire administration was less than a half hour. This has the extra benefit of reducing the extent to which a standardized test becomes an endurance or patience exercise.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 19, 2018

One thing I have seen with CAD tests is that very low students are often blamed for the low scores. Unbelievable, I know. Because they test out so quickly, it is said that they lacked effort and didn't try.

Obadiah and 3Sons like this.
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2018

What I really don't like about computer-adaptive testing, at least as I understand it, is that it doesn't allow for going back and rethinking. It thus seems to punish those who aren't as happy shooting from the hip.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 19, 2018

The Ohio State Test window for ELA has been extended an extra two days.

14. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Apr 19, 2018

Tests were back up and running today! Thank goodness!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 19, 2018

And it was still chaotic with all that was missed yesterday. We have so many students with accommodations we didn’t have enough staff to cover.
    Perhaps AIR will go the way of PARCC!

Obadiah likes this.
  16. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2018

True enough. It doesn't really give you the option to go back and forth between questions., though I've always thought it punished those who gave answers quickly and without sufficient thought (I.e., shooting from the hip).

It seems to me like bringing a 3-hour test down to half an hour is worth it, but the forced structure is certainly a fair criticism.
    I think also a problem with other tests, except the kids get to sit there for a couple of hours.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Obadiah likes this.
  17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 19, 2018

And I don't like how it doesn't (usually) account for lucky guessing. If they developed a way for free response questioning instead of multiple choice(guess), I'd be more for it.

And...they'd have to adjust their testing requirements. For instance, we cannot release anyone from the room even if they've finished their test. If you streamline the testing with CAD, then you would expect some students to finish much sooner than others. Then what do we do with those kids?

18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2018

Interestingly, I believe (though could be wrong) ours is adaptive (though not to a full-on level), but there's a mix of multiple choice, free response, and allows students to go back during the same testing session.

As with how I begin the year with tons of pushing of "stealing reading time", I play up the testing time as an opportunity to steal tons of reading time. The kids are totally into reading for the 5 minutes to couple hours that they have while they wait for their peers. Win win! (Though I have to be very, very careful to make sure that they don't rush through to get to that reading ;) )

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 20, 2018

Ugh!! We still have PARCC (though we just got a new Dem. governor who is planning to toss it soon)----good to know you're one step ahead of us, and it's no good either!

20. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 20, 2018

With our non-cad tests, even when it was paper and not computer, kids had to wait until everyone was finished or the window was closed. There were kids that would finish in 45 minutes and have to sit for an hour and 15 more.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 23, 2018