Testing reading levels..?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Oct 24, 2014.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I'm just curious of what you use to assess reading levels. I use a fluency test I printed from the A to Z reading website but I'm wondering if anyone uses a "better" one that they like more...

Thanks!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

Does your school not use any type of standardized system to assess reading levels?

Mine has around 5 for reading alone. It is WAY more than we need or can even fit in.

Everything that we use is a paid program, though. Not something you would want to buy for your own classroom unless you had the funds.

DIBELS and AIMSweb (same company), and DRA are a few of the big names.

In the past, I've used running records to determine instructional levels of readers. It went like this: Count out 100 words in a book. Have student read out loud. If student misses between 5-10 words, this would be their "instructional" level (90-95% accuracy). Less than 5, "independent" (+95% accuracy). More than 9 or 10, it's too difficult (-90% accuracy). I would bump them up or down until I found a book that was their approximate grade level - books were leveled by grade level, such as 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc. This was when I was tutoring, though, and wouldn't be the easiest system to manage for a large class size.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

My school uses DRA for K-2, and for at-risk kiddos in 3-6, and BAS in older grades.

My first thought is that you should take ANY leveling tool with a grain of salt. To use the BAS kit as an example... I finished testing my kiddos with the BAS kit the first week in October. Based on our requirements, I had to test 10 kids using the S Non-fiction text (Amazing Animal Adaptations). The last four kids I tested all did remarkably better with the comprehension portion. Is it because they are better readers? Well, it's certainly possible... but I suspect the fact that we happened to be studying adaptations in science at the time helped.

Long story short, don't take any system as the end-all, be-all.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2014

We use Teacher's College running records for Fountas and Pinnell levels.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2014

We use Fountas and Pinnell, AIMS WEB and PALS.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 25, 2014

We use the BRI, but some teachers took the assessment passages last year and revamped them, so it's a combination of approaches.

If you're using the A to Z fluency passages, are you also using their running record/comprehension component? Testing fluency without comprehension isn't going to give you the students' true levels. Lots of super fluent decoders have huge holes in their comprehension skills.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

:thumb: this is what we use as well