testing out of ESL?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MisterG, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Nov 8, 2006

Hi all,
    So here in my school, we have a ESL teacher who takes about 1/3 of my class out every day for ESL. While they are gone, the miss that instructional time in my class. Of the ___ number of kids she takes, only one of them really needs it as they don't speak any English at all. The others are very fluent in English and I feel, don't need ESL anymore. However, this particular ESL teacher seems to get the kids and never lets them go. Another teachers thought on it is that the testing in her class is oral so it can be easily 'swayed' in one direction or another.

What are your thoughts on this. Arent kids supposed to be let out of ESL when they get to a certain point?

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Nov 8, 2006

Remeber there are several different levels of language. Kids easily pick up on BICS (conversational lanuage) and often times seem fluent in English when we observe them on the playground and in the class. However, CALPS (academic language) can take 7 or more years for a student to acquire.

I don't know the level of the kids but many of them may still be picking up on their academic language.

4. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Nov 8, 2006

Oops forgot to mention... parents can get them placed out. Maybe talk to them if you feel strongly about it.

5. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Nov 8, 2006

As far as parents getting their children out of ESL, that must depend on the state, because here in New York, that is impossible. They only way that children can exit the program is by testing out on a yearly standardized ESL test.

And as musical gator pointed out, children may seemingly speak English, but social language is much different than academic language. Studies and research show that it takes 7 years for a language learner to acheive proficiency in academic language.

I know, as an ESL teacher, the opposition we face when it comes to classroom teachers and a pull out program, and I totally understand.

Just remember, though, that what the ESL teacher is doing with these children is (if you ask me) just as important. There are many things that go into ESL other than just basic language development, including fostering cross cultural awareness, content area support, literacy development, etc. There are downfalls to the pull out program, but positives as well, including an environment where they feel safe to take risks, small group instruction, a group in which they feel that others are like them, etc.

There are probably mandated minutes that the ELLs need to receive based on their proficiency level, you may want to check to make sure that the more advanced students are not being overserved.

Just my two cents.

6. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Nov 12, 2006

Here in FL....a parent has all the rights to exit a child from the program. It's recommended to have a parent's permission to give services to the child, but we don't need the permission to exit them from the program.

However, when it comes to your question....does your ESL teacher cover writing also? I've been teaching ELL students for the past 3 years, and the students that are in the program that speak fluent English are those that still need the services for writing.

There is an intermediate level that the students can be placed in...where they are still under the ELL umbrella, but they stay in the regular class for Language Arts (support students)

I have to mention, that there are some people (schools) that keep the students in the program mainly for the funding...but the school can still receive funding if the student is a support student.