Testing in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lmb45, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lmb45

lmb45 Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

I am currently a licensed teacher in Ohio. In November I am taking the Massachusetts state licensure test for grade levels Pre-K-2. I am trying to prepare for these tests but am having difficulty knowing what to expect. In Ohio we are not tested on content areas, such as Math, Science, and History. We do, however, have to know Theorists and be able to cite them. If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

You're taking the general curriculum test in November? I'm licensed in elementary (1-6) so my test was slightly different. The math was easy because it's basically just math for that grade-level, the science is really just basic science knowledge, the thing I found it the most difficult to study for was the history. It's a very broad topic and you never know what is going to be asked. Make sure you know your stuff about the U.S. and the Massachusetts constitutions. The general curriculum test is honestly almost impossible to study for because you're tested on everything..Language Arts, Math, History, Science, and child development. Good luck! :)

By the way, welcome to a to z!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

I just looked at the DOE website and it's not called general curriculum for prek-2, it's just called early childhood...sorry! :) Here's the link for the test objectives for that test: http://www.mtel.nesinc.com/PDFs/MTELobjs_newfld02.pdf

Have you taken the Communication and Literacy or Foundations of Reading tests yet?

5. lmb45

lmb45 Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

I am taking the Communication and Literacy test at the same time. I will take Foundations of Reading in March. Thanks for the tips and the link!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

No problem. :)
    I took the Content test and Foundations of Reading in the same day. Taking two tests definitely makes for a long day, but you'll be glad when it's over!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to become licensend in Mass? Are you moving?

8. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Nov 1, 2005

I am not in exactly the same boat, but I am a beginning grad student, in the middle of my first course for my M.Ed. On Saturday I took a workshop at Lesley University for the Communication and Literacy Test. I don't know that they offer prep classes for Foundations of Reading or the General Curriculum, but they will absolutely have resources at the library, and possibly online.

General Lesley info about the MTEL in general is here

http://www.lesley.edu/certification.html

If you look at the left hand column, you will see that there are some helpful links, including an MTEL FAQ and recommended study materials. Lesley is a fantastic resources (though I am biased, I am an Alum, a current student, and a former staff member there) and worth checking out, even though you have your degrees already. Non Lesley folks tend to be welcome. The workshop this weekend was free and open to the public. The library is open admission and is very education-focused, though I don't know what the policy is on checking out materials. If you are in town, definitely make your way onto the main campus in Cambridge, which is right next to Harvard Law in Harvard Square (not to be confused with the Porter Square campus)

I know that this is of limited use if you aren’t in the Boston area, but the online resources are useful, and when you are in town, it’s a good place to check out!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2005

Bring this thread and yourselves and come on over to the Examinations for Teachers forum. There's a Multiple Subjects Tests subforum waiting for you. There are differences between the various teacher tests, to be sure, but there are also lots of similarities - test-worthy issues in US history, for example, really don't vary that widely from one coast to the other - and you're likely to find some useful suggestions and insights.