Testing Disaster

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachbx, Aug 7, 2013.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

I also keep hearing comments from teachers on this forum that they are receiving little or minimal training in the Common Core. How can we expect them to be master teachers if we aren't preparing them to implement this new program? How do we hold them accountable for test scores unless they were rigorously prepared?

2. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

I know that was true in 2012...not sure if that happened this year. I thought the 3rd grade math test was a fair representation of the 3rd grade common core standards. It just wasn't fair to expect this year's 3rd grade students to be able to close the gap between our former standards and common core standards in 1 year. Not to mention we had no common core aligned math programs this year.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

http://www.nysucceeds.org/

Look at this open letter from business leaders.

"We support continued implementation of these new, tougher academic standards that are currently being rolled out in classrooms across the state. These standards will better prepare students for college and the workplace, something of critical importance to New York's employers."

I'm sorry, but being an employer of adults doesn't make you qualified to determine how an 8-year-old should be taught.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

:agreed:

i teach 7th and I don't even think I am qualified to determine how an 8year old learns and should be taught!

5. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

I agree with you 100%. :unsure:

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 8, 2013

ugh. headache!

time for a nap.

7. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 8, 2013

I really liked the letter from the superintendent. I didn't realize that these tests were 4 hours long for math alone. What the heck? I'm all for teacher accountability but who ever designed these tests really need to reevaluate their methods if they think sticking students of any age in a 4 hour testing session is a good way to measure understanding. Its been a while but I don't even think the SAT is 4 hours long.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

It's over 3 days.

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

In my district, those scores are being used for our evaluations for the 2012-2013 year, they are 20% of our total score. We have been told that are rating really won't mean anything this year though. Who knows.