Testing depression

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kidatheart, Oct 3, 2007.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Oct 3, 2007

Hi, I'm 5th grade ICS. I have given 3 assessments so far this year for science and math. Almost all of my kids failed.... I'm feeling like I failed them!! I let them take the 1st science and math tests in the classroom to see how they would do - all of their IEP's say pull out "if necessary."
    After seeing their scores, both reg and sped, the science teacher and I decided to postpone the second day of testing (it was two tests, 25 questions each). We gave them the part 1 tests back to review, we gave them the weekend to study more, I gave my kids a test review 2x before the part 2 test today. For today's test, I pulled them all out and read the test to see if it would make a difference. I just graded them and they all failed again. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? These are 95% multiple choice with 2 open ended questions.
    I know that I will take away 1 wrong answer per question on the next test (ie, a,b,c instead of a,b,c,d options) but what else should I be doing?

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 3, 2007

Maybe they need another format for the test. Do they know the information when asked another way? Multiple choice can be a hard format to deal with. How do you and your co-teacher feel about testing differently?

Don't be depressed--YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

I agree with bcblue, try some different testing formats--ask questions orally, have them tell you what they know, have them create a mind map or other graphic organizer to demonstrate their understanding. Multiple choice questions are often full of subtle nuances that struggling or identified students just "don't get". You may also want to consider cutting down on the number of questions to focus on key concepts only. Something else I always do to help the students study is to highlight in their notebook the things they will need to study for the test; they may not be able to identify which ideas and concepts are important.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 4, 2007

5th graders really don't know how to study. Everything you want them to know you have to repeat, repeat, and repeat again. You have to use terms throughout the day, make constant connections to other subjects, take 2 minutes to review vocab every morning, give lots of little quizzes, play review games. Otherwise, only the top kids seem to get the material.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 4, 2007

Daisy bet me. I was going to say the same thing. They probably don't know how to study. I don't think I knew how to study my freshman year in college. A friend actually taught me.:eek:
    I taught my students last year. And I reinforced it constantly.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Oct 4, 2007

How did you teach them to study? What skills did you give them?
    I worked on testing skills today. There was a great idea in a textbook for my masters class on LD. The kids seemed to respond to it... here's the teacher version (the kids version only lists the main idea, ie. 1. Prepare to succeed).
    P I R A T E S
    Teacher’s guide

Step 1: Prepare to succeed. Within this step, students are taught to “put your name and PIRATES on the test. Allot time and order to sections. Say affirmations. Start within two minutes.”

Step 2: Inspect the instructions. Students are taught to “Read instructions carefully. Underline what to do and where to respond. Notice special requirements.”

Step 3: Read (each question), remember (the information) and reduce (the obviously incorrect answer choices).

Step 4: Answer or abandon (the question).

Step 5: Turn back (and try to answer question that you left abandoned).

Step 6: Estimate (guess answers).

Step 7: Survey the test to make sure that they have answered every question and that they have answered the questions as intended.

8. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 4, 2007

nice acronym!!

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Oct 4, 2007

Very appropo (?) being that the last pirate movie came out this spring!!