Testing Day Questions

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Britgirl, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Britgirl

Britgirl Guest

Jul 17, 2016

Hi! I'm a newbie to this forum and was wondering if anyone here has recently sat the computerised CBEST test and could please share their experiences?

I am due to sit the combined reading, writing and mathmatic test on a computer at me local test center and have the following questions:

!) I know that calculators are not allowed in the test, but am I allowed scratch paper? I definately need to jot down working for the math portion, and I also need to scribble down my essay skeleton plan. Do they provide pencil and paper, or can I take my own materials?

2) If I'm not allowed scratch paper, I'm in trouble. Should I apply for paper based testing instead?

3) Are you allowed to take food (gum/mints) and water into the test?

4) I know cellphone are not allowed. Can I leave it in my purse/pocket turned off or do I need to leave it at home? (I need to call for my ride after the exam.)

Anything else that surprised you?

Thank you

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

Every testing facility I've been to provided little lockers to lock your stuff in.

4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 17, 2016

When I took the CSET I received a dry erase notebook and marker for scratch paper and notes. All belongings were left in a small locker and all I took into the testing room was my ID and the key to my locker. No water/mints/gum etc. but you could be excused for water.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2016

Was it a Pearson Vue testing facility with the test on the computer ? You try to concentrate as you listen to the people sitting next to you click and clack on their keyboard (now I know how annoying it is) or you see and hear people's little ticks and quirks as they talk themselves through a problem , click through, or in my case, the lady next to me tried to look at me screen. Sorry, hon, but we're taking different tests! Hers did look brutal, though.

By the point I arrived, the lady already knew who I was so it was very much routine. Sign the forms, show them your ID, they scan your fingerprints and take your picture (all for a test). Oh well, c'est la vie. Here's to waiting for my test score. More waitin'...
    :whistle:

!) I know that calculators are not allowed in the test, but am I allowed scratch paper? I definately definitely need to jot down working for the math portion, and I also need to scribble down my essay skeleton plan. Do they provide pencil and paper, or can I take my own materials?

As stated, you get some little dry erase wipeable thing and a marker. Mine was dying, but I didn't use it anyway. The computer had annotation tools that I taught my students about and found myself saying, "Come on man, USE THEM" and I did. I put myself in my students' shoes. The highlighter option was nice for finding information I wanted to include in my essay at the end(which that thing was cake!) I'm cocky and confident, but who knows? I've failed (didn't score proficiently) before. :roll:

2) If I'm not allowed scratch paper, I'm in trouble. Should I apply for paper based testing instead?

I'm actually surprised paper based tests even still exist. In NY they're all being phased out for CBT brought to you by Pearson Vue ($$$) and are overly expensive $120 - 150 a pop!!! :banghead:. I'm assuming everywhere is doing this, though. I HATE CBT's, but it's the way of the world. For us and the students.

3) Are you allowed to take food (gum/mints) and water into the test?

No but I believe you can have a water bottle. I'm not 100% sure on that though. But the gum/candy thing is a "distraction" for test -takers, as if them tapping their foot, the marker, squirming in their chairs or click-clacking on the keyboard isn't?

4) I know cellphone are not allowed. Can I leave it in my purse/pocket turned off or do I need to leave it at home? (I need to call for my ride after the exam.)

Don't leave it in your pocket! If ANYTHING were to happen and it was discovered, I think you're test would be invalidated or some other nonsense. Yes, they provide you with a locker you can store it in until after the test has finished. They don't mess around... you're on security camera the entire time... so don't give yourself ANY chance of running into problems. You bring NOTHING into the test but yourself. I couldn't even have my keys or wallet with me. This is the life or death mentality in the testing culture. Yeah some people cheat, but do the levels exist where we need to be on CODE RED alert during testing? :warning::!!: o_O

Anyway, good luck! Study hard and ask yourself, "What type of question is this?" and look for the most predictable, text-book answer possible.

:)

6. London

London Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

I'll add that my testing center (Pearson Vue) also had noise canceling headphone available. I had to use them on and off as the person next to me was typing their essay or people were coming in and out of the testing area.

I also had a dried out marker during my test. Try your marker out on the notebook first before your time begins, it threw me for a loop an made me more anxious that I was losing time on my test raising my hand for a new one. Also, the marker was like a thin tipped sharpie, so you had to write with the marker almost perpendicular to the paper (I tend to write with a pencil or a pen VERY slanted, so it was kind of annoying).

One weird thing that I never thought of was they made me take my hair down out of my messy bun because I was using a cloth scrunchie instead of a regular hair tie. I always pull my hair back when I'm testing because I have a nervous tick of running my hand through my hair.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2016

Different test
    I had to go through wanding. I was allowed to take my car key in after the metal detecting was done. Water wasn't allowed in my test area.