Testing! bah!!!

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Samothrace, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

So in ohio, we have our OAT, the Ohio Achievement Test in 2 weeks. Every year they try and pull this crap on our class sceduales. The testing has to be done on certain days and certain times. They always feel the need to rearrange our classes to where all I am doing is babysitting them. I can't pack that many materials onto my cart, I can't do anything where I may need the extra sink the hallway for washing hands...or sitting projects to dry. I go from having 4 grade levels in my day (for all 7 of my classes) to having 6 different grade levels.

It is just SO irritating, especially when the prinicpal in charge of all the resource teachers (art/music/pe) says we are not to change our sceduales. Even our union says our building principals can't do this..yet they ALWAYS do.

My one princiapl is wanting me to take classes I haven't taught all year b/c of hhow he wants to change them. Another art teacher has to come and teach them (his fault for not following our suggestions from the fall....another problem)

it's very irritating and unprofessional. Do any of the rest of you get your classes changed all around JUST so the gen ed teacher can have their planning time? :dizzy:

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2009

ummm....I need my planning time on testing days. I would hope that you are getting yours, also. Sounds aggravating for you.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 10, 2009

When we have the NECAPS all the specials get moved around. It's more for the kids though to ensure that they get their special (and for the teachers planning period I guess).

It stinks but it's only for two weeks, it could be worse.

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 10, 2009

It could be worse I'm sure. Knowing my one principal I won't find out how he plans to arrange the classes until that Monday when the changes happen. That I think is the frustrating part, because he just doesn't care. For all I know, I might have students I've not taught all year. Our buildings numbers don't always match up and another team of resource teachers teach some of the classes at a building. I don't think he really understands that by switching it all around without the proper time to let us plan (which affects a whole other buildings classes as well)

He's the kind of principal that doesn't tell us...we find out from other teachers. My other principal at least handed us the changes..to let us look them over to see if we need to change them for logical purposes of class switches since we handle all of them. (and to plan ahead....who'd of thought that we need to plan things! lol)

I guess I was just venting b/c we get zero respect for our profession from the school district.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

It is frustrating. The art teacher at our school does all the re-arranging and gets input from the other Specials teachers. That would be a better solution than having it sprung on you by someone who doesn't understand.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 11, 2009

Last year, I didn't know that our school rearranged the schedule 4th 9weeks until they did it. The day of, I was informed that I'd no longer be seeing my junior high students for six weeks. I also lost all my elementary students because they weren't prepared to include my classes in the remediation schedule. So for six weeks, I babysat K-3 in the gym with the P.E. coach. It wasn't relaxing at all. The lack of structure gave me early gray hair. I ended up instituting my own structure so that I could cope. Luckily, I had experience to draw on. The coach didn't mind but he wasn't about to do the same.

This year, I'm solely at the elementary :)thumb:) and I knew in advance that I'd be loosing some of my students, (I thought all of them). I lost my 4th and 6th graders to remediation. I took on Kindergarten and 1st grade as a way to even out the schedule for the lower elementary. I retained my 5th graders and my 3rd graders because of how the schedule worked out.

Since I knew in advance, I cooked up a photo-journal project for all my upper elementary students to do outside of class. I have expectations that about 60% of them will complete the assignment. Starting next week, I'm going to have announcements made everyday and reissue my handouts that explain the project.

Do I like how they shuffle students around? NOT AT ALL. I don't think it is effective at all. I help the 6th grade math teacher for about two hours a day as support and her students astonish me with the lack of performance on skills they should have already mastered. I understand the material but I'm out of my depth trying to tutor children who don't get it, don't want it, don't care. There are those that do care and do get it, but.....Oh! the headaches.