Test Schedule

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bross001, Oct 5, 2012.

1. bross001

bross001 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012

I have hardly ever posted anything on the forum, but I have to get some second opinions on this topic. Our new principal has instituted a test schedule for our school. I teach high school social studies and I can only test on Thursdays. I think this is not condusive at all to social studies classes and it is driving me nuts. I have to cut lessons short, such as good quality learning moments with discussion, and at times speed up lessons to maintain the schedule where I can test on that Thursday. Are there any other teachers out there that are on a test schedule such as this, and if so how do you handle it. Mainly I want to know if it is just me not being able to work with such a schedule or am I right in saying that it is absolutely nuts to restrain a student in this manner.
    Mr. Ross

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

The original intent is probably good. Most students only take 1 math, 1 english, 1 ss, 1 sci, etc class. If ss classes test on Thursdays only, then it will hopefully keep students from having multiple tests on one day.

I would suggest changing your tests. If you are in the middle of a discussion, finish it. Then just include what was taught so far on the test. You can add the other questions to the next test or test more frequently (every Thursday).

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

I think it's a reasonable policy. It can be rough on students when they have multiple large assessments in the same day. This helps them be the best students they can be by allowing them to focus on one assessment at a time.

I test every Thursday. I just test them where we are at. Sometimes we might be in the middle of a unit, so I'll put a few questions about the new material, usually the most basic stuff. Next week's quiz will cover the rest of the material. Honestly, it's fairly easy and seems to work out just fine. The students seem to appreciate the routine of always knowing that Thursday is quiz day in my class. There aren't ever any surprises or "I didn't know we were having a quiz!" comments.

5. bross001

bross001 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012

Ceasar, do you have a review for you exams.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

No. The review is all the practice work we've done leading up to the exam.

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 15, 2012

I do the same as you, Caesar - test once a week (on the Thursday/Friday block.) The test covers anything we've done in class since the previous Thurs/Fri., though sometimes it will be cumulative for the chapter, and in that case I let them know well in advance. There is no review for the test, they just expect it and study for it. I started this type of testing because when we went to the block schedule, it really threw a wrench into my previous method of having quizzes and then a chapter test whenever I reached the end of a chapter. The end of the chapter test day sometimes appeared on a non-block day, sometimes on a block day, and it was slowing me down to have to wait for a block day, and too stressful for the students to have it on a non block day. My students have also said that they like the routine of knowing that there's a test in my class on that day. I reserve the right to throw a pop quiz on other days, however!

8. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Oct 15, 2012

This probably wouldn't work at a large school but in my small middle school we keep a test calendar. We use the calendar on Gmail and the teachers post when their tests are. No more than 2 tests/day. The kids can also see the calendar so they always know when tests are.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 15, 2012

We do this as well. I also give frequent quizzes, I don't hold myself at one per week, but I average about 12-15 quizzes during a term. Some weeks I have more than 1 quiz. Quizzes vary in point value in my class anywhere from 50-100 points. Tests are worth 200 points. I give one test per unit usually, adds up to about 3-4 tests per term.

10. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 15, 2012

It used to be like this at my school. It only lasted one year. :)