Test/Quiz Experiment

Discussion in 'High School' started by Zipzesty, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Zipzesty

Zipzesty New Member

Sep 25, 2015

Help! Conducting experiment that could boost test scores.

Hello I am Joshua. I must admit that I am not a teacher. I am a high school science teacher's son. Helping my mother grade has been interesting, kids would miss questions simply by not reading them correctly. My experiment is simple. Give two tests, one test or quiz has normal questions and a normal font. The second test or quiz has normal questions but a font that is slightly harder to read. I hypothesize that the second test/quiz will have high scores because the harder to read font will make the students think harder and work more for the answer. They will also understand the question more. Please respond with your input, hypothesis, or ideas about this.

My mother is a teacher but she has not seen the importance of the conclusion that can be made from this.

I have realized an error in this test is that if you do too many tests/quizzes with the same difficult font the students will learn to read it easier, so change the font after a couple of uses.

I have heard of an experiment like this in a book called "David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants" by Malcolm Gladwell. I would highly recommend it, for it is a very good psychology book.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 30, 2015

Do it. Record your results and share them. Sounds interesting.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2015

That does sound interesting! How do you plan on accounting for natural variability between students' levels (if using two classes and holding the test the same) or between the difficulty of tests (if using two different tests and holding the class the same)?

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2015

I think it is worth trying. I do believe the hypothesis has merit. Attention has a lot to do with successfully answering questions and comprehending instructions. Skimming, while encouraged for some tasks, can lead to misreading or missing key information and key words such as NOT. Focus and concentration will also keep the instructions in memory longer.

Finding the right font that will be just the right difficulty may prove a bit dubious because you will have to find one that slows students down but doesn't cause errors due to confusion of characters. This should probably be done using relatively simple information that students will not fail on such as a list of common sight words.

I look forward to your follow-up post about the results.

6. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Oct 25, 2015

This reminds me of a test made by another teacher in a top performing school. He gave the answers to some questions. Let those be referred to as the control questions. If the students got the control questions wrong, there was something wrong with the testing and grading system.