Test Folders

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by andrea_45, Sep 13, 2010.

1. andrea_45

andrea_45 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

Hello all,

I was wondering what system do you use to get tests signed? Currently, I send home the tests on Mondays, have the parents sign each one and return to class. Later, I transfer them into a test folder which is placed by their portfolios. I feel there must be better and more time efficient ideas. Please feel free to share!

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 13, 2010

I don't send any tests home. why do you send them home?

I send all of their classwork, morning work, and homework home but not tests. They see their tests during conferences.

I can't wait to hear the other suggestions and see if I'm the only one who does not do this.

4. andrea_45

andrea_45 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

Well, I have seen this done with my children. I always get to see their scores as soon as they take the test. I know of some colleagues who do as well. Some don't....I see it this way, I think parents should see what scores their child got so that they can reinforce at home or have an idea throughout the marking period of what their grades are like.
    When my daughter brought home tests, I would correct her and explain what she did wrong. I guess it's from personal experience that I send them home. But still there must be a better way!

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 13, 2010

hmm I've always sent tests home but I may just keep them for conferences! I'm tired of filing them in their folders and there are some students I cannot trust to show their parents. Not only that but it gives the parents incentives to attend conferences! = )

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 13, 2010

I don't have a system, as I don't teach yet. However, when I was in Elementary school, I remember most of my teachers only sending home tests to be signed if the grade was lower than a ____. (Most of the time it was lower than a 65-70.) This way not every test was being sent home to the parents to sign and the parents were then aware of their child getting below a certain grade

I'm sure there was some type of system the teachers had to make sure they were signed and brought back. I just don't remember what that system was.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 14, 2010

I just know I would never get them back. Better yet I just know some students would forget to even take them home.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

When I taught first grade, I only sent them home during Progress Reports and Report Card time. Now that I am in 2nd grade, I send them every week usually on a Wednesday. I send them home so parents will not be surprised when progress reports or report cards go home. I have a sheet that is attached to my test papers that explain the test papers have to be returned to school because I am required to have them on file. For the most parts, most of my papers are returned.

9. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

I send home the spelling and reading test the day they take the test. The only ones who have to sign the tests and return them are the ones who have less than a 65% on the test. When they are returned, I file them in case I need them for students who may need to be tested for learning disablities. In the past I have always had parents who returned them. :thumb: