Terrified!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacher36, Sep 4, 2010.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Ok, I was a little overwhelmed and VERY busy these past few weeks getting my room set up (it was filthy and empty!) and going over the curriculum, but after reading so many of these posts I am now terrified! I have 18 kids, no aide (I start on Tuesday). This is my first year teaching K (I taught 1/2 day pre-K last two years- 16 kids with an aide). I am over prepared, my room is set up nicely, and I plan on just going over the rules and procedures all week. I know from pre-K that the time I spend going over the routines and expectations in the beginning make for an easier year. I just pray that I don't have many cryers or issues such as many of you had. Or that if I do, I handle them well. I've been having nightmares about this!!

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

It is kind of scary and the nightmares are normal. But you sound prepared and if you just remember to breathe, it will be fine. This year is the first year (out of 11) that I've had no criers. Well, some parents cried, but none of the children. And, if they do cry, comfort them and then get them really busy. Tell the parents to go (if they are hanging around) and let them know that you'll contact them if their child doesn't calm down soon.

Plan on going over rules and procedures for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

The first weeks of K are hard. You'll survive them, though, and build a wonderful classroom community.

18 is a GREAT class size. I'm actually happy to "only" have 24 this year.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

The experience in Pre-K will help. All you can do is prepare. I was just talking to someone the other day about how even with experience, teachers get nervous before the 1st day because you never know what will walk through that door! :p

You'll be fine-you've done everything you can do-sit back and get some last few moments of relaxation in.:)

5. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

The great thing about coming from pre-k is that the k kiddos will seem so mature. I worked with 3 year olds before and was amazed at how independent the pre-k group was :p

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Thanks everyone. I spent all day trying to get my house in order and my two children ready for school on Tuesday (I guess you could say that's relaxing:lol:) I'll plan some more tomorrow and then just enjoy Labor Day with my family and hope for the best on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone!!

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

:hugs: I start Tuesday as well. I hope that you have a great first day, week, month, and year! I have 12 confirmed, and several that haven't returned applications. So, I will max out at 14 either way. I too, am a bit terrified, but am very excited as well. Good luck!

8. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

I start Tuesday as well and thought I was the only one that was terrified! My room is done, bulletin boards are up, and I've even organized/filed all their work for the next 3 weeks. I taught second grade last year, and was prepared for my incoming group (as they were with me), but K is a whole different world! I am excited though, I just need to relax. I wish you a great first day!

9. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

I am terrified too and not feeling prepared at all! My class is now at 9....so small and I am hoping that is a good thing.

We have Parent Orientaion on Tuesday night, Visitation day for 1 hour on Wed and the kid's first day is Thursday. It's only 1/2 days in my K.

I have been working on classroom setup/prep and that is fine.

Good luck!

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 5, 2010

Mom2kkj- you sound like you have a very similar schedule to mine. It will be my first year as well and I am super anxious, but so excited!
    I was just hired on Tuesday night and in my room all day Wed, Thurs, and Sat. I finally feel my room is mostly done. As for plans for day one- that is tomorrow's work!
    Mom2kkj would you mind sharing your schedule with me? I would love to see it- mine is half day too and I have no idea what to do or how to make it all fit into such a short amount of time! yikes! So nervous. I would love to see your schedule. Could you pm it to me?
    What are you planning for day one? I do not know yet, I still need to talk to the other k teacher. I so far have 15, small but I am starting to think perfect! whew- so nervous! Glad to hear everyone else is too! Good luck everyone! We will all do fabulous! Congrats and best wishes for a fantastic year!

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

This past week was my 1st full week with my entire class of 8kindergarteners and 7 prek's. I overplaned like crazy and was barely able to squeeze everything in!

Like you I also had background experience in prek for 2yrs before moving to a Montessori school that is prek/k combination. I did better with the criers than I thought I would.. I talked to them and let them know how the day would go, asked the K's to be a good friend/leader and help my criers and things kept moving.

You will do fine! It's in your blood and you have what it takes to be an awesome teacher!

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

Thanks everyone for the inspiration!!! Tomorrow's the big day....there's no turning back now! Good luck to all the wonderful teachers!!!

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Ditto to teacher36's comment! Good luck everyone! :hugs:

14. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

Yes....good luck!! Let us know how it goes :)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

Deep breaths...

As a mom, here's what I want for the first day for my elementary school kids:

- I want them to have lunch.
    - I want them to be able to get to the bathroom.
    - I want them home on the right bus.

ANYTHING else can be fixed tomorrow.

So relax. This is just one day. If your kids cry, they cry; it's part of life.

You can DO this.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

Part of my responsibilities this morning will be helping out in the kindergarten rooms with those overwhelmed little 3 and 4 year olds who are starting Junior Kindergarten (and encouraging their parents that it is safe to leave them at school). While parts of the day will be chaotic, everything will work out.

17. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Survived my first full day with the kinders and it was wonderful!! Yes, I could collapse on the floor right now from exhaustion (I won't because I have my own two children to take care of) but it really was a great day. Aside from some minor setbacks and tweaking, the day went pretty smoothly and the children had a great time. I love my job and can't wait for tomorrow (ok I really can't wait for the weekend more so I can possible sit down before 2pm!!!)

18. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

The first week is always SO hard, but we are on day 12 here, and things are really flowing. No more of the questions (when is lunch, can I play, when can I go home, etc), they can sit for a whole lesson now, they are learning our routines and procedures. I no longer go home and nap! Well, once in a while. I have a friend who was our Title One administrator at our school, but the position was eliminated. She thought she would like Kindergarten because she worked with some kids in my class and liked what she saw (about 2 months after school began). She went to another school in K. and e-mailed with an apology--she just didn't realize how HARD the beginning of K is. She said she was exhausted and was so frustrated that she never got to put anything away and had piles of 'stuff' all over her classroom. She also apologized for making all the K teachers attend meetings that had nothing to do with K. She had to attend a bunch, and now realizes what a waste it is for us to attend meetings that are geared for the 4 and 5 grade teachers!

19. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

EVERYONE should be a K teacher for the first month of school and then maybe we'll be appreciated (OK, I'm really only looking for MY HUSBAND to step foot in my classroom, then maybe he'd empty the dishwasher or throw a load of laundry in for me.....ugh!!!!)