Terrified New Teacher (2nd): literacy resources help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Catherine H, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Catherine H

Catherine H Guest

Jul 6, 2016

Hello friends, just got my first teaching job- Second Grade Language Arts/ Social Studies, and I am scared out of my mind. I know very little about teaching reading/writing. Trying to learn as much as I can before the school year starts. Looking for recommendations on where to start/ what to do/ and general advice on teaching second. Many thanks!!

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 6, 2016

Congrats on the job!
    Look at www.teachingchannel.org for ideas on classroom management and lessons. You can watch videos of teachers in action.

Go to Barnes and Nobel and read: Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov and Teach Like a Pirate By Dave Burgess

Kelly Gallaghar has some great strategies

NewsELA and MobyMax is good too! Good Luck

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2016

Can you get your materials yet? If so, go through the teacher's manual for ideas. They can be so much help for new teachers. Also, decide if you are going to do a read-aloud daily and see if you can get books that go along with your curriculum outline/themes. I love reading in early elementary.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 6, 2016

So are you teaching two different 2nd grade classes Language Arts and Social Studies each day?

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2016

Read up on guided reading; you will definitely need to differentiate in language arts.
    I like Kelly Gallagher for upper grades, but maybe not for second.
    Check out the Daily Five.
    Debbie Diller (or Miller, I get them confused!) has some good books on literacy stations.
    I like Sharon Taberski's On Solid Ground.
    Nonfiction Mentor Texts by Dorfman and Capelli will help integrate SS and ELA.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 8, 2016

I agree with the above advice. Early in my career, observing other teachers teaching was quite beneficial, and today's technology makes that even more possible. Basal texts provide much information on making sure you don't miss important concepts and procedures. If it's still just as good as it was a few years ago, I'd recommend trying to get ahold of a TE for Modern Curriculum Press's Phonics for the extra ideas they had in the margins, perhaps available at a college library; the ideas were classified for students needing extra help or for advanced students, but in reality, all the activities were worthwhile for any student. That reminds me of a word of caution--when I first began teaching, I'd try to cram in too many extension activities into my lessons and would fall behind. I'm currently reading The Book Whisperer. The author is a 6th grade language arts/social studies teacher. Many of her procedures of course are more for upper grades, but the main idea applies to all grades--students advance in reading by reading and by being read to; in modern classrooms, the amount of time students actually spend reading is often limited--perhaps as little as 5 minutes daily. At a 2nd grade level, you might want to allow for cooperative groups of 2 or 3 during independent reading time which will assist the students with fluency, and certainly encourage individualized reading at school and/or at home. Be on the lookout for book giveaways in your area and also yard sales; I developed my classroom library from these and also from visiting thrift stores. For used books, I'd suggest checking for moldy smells and sifting through the pages and looking under the cover for insects.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2016

I'm hoping your school assigns you a mentor. You need to find out the district's literacy philosophies. Do they use packaged programs (basals)? Workshop model? Centers?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2016

I agree. It's difficult to get started without knowing the district's approaches. A mentor teacher should help you. I think no matter what, you will need guided reading and read alouds. Check out the Daily 5 structure. Check out Moby Max, spelling city, Raz kids, Scholastic News, and Teacher pay teachers.