Terrible Behavior for a Sub...how to deal with them tomorrow!?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by justwanttoteach, Jan 31, 2017.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 31, 2017

First some background Information: I am a new middle school teacher. On top of being a new teacher, my schedule was changed 4 weeks into school starting. I went from having 5 periods of 7th grade ELA to the following: 3 periods of 8th grade ELD, 1 period 7th grade ELD, and 1 period 7th ELA. The ELD classes uses a very scripted curriculum to support and increase academic performance for English Language Learners. I have a file that is full of IEP's and BIP's. In 1 class of 29 students I have 16 students on an IEP and or BIP. (This is no exaggeration) to say my classes are challenging and overwhelming would be an understatement. I have shelved curriculum for a while to build rapport and reteach classroom appropriate behaviors. I cant even get to content until my kids can sit quietly or respectfully to learn. We have made HUGE strides towards improvements. We were far from perfect but I was starting to feel like I really enjoyed my kids and loved teaching them.

AND THEN TODAY HAPPENED: I was sent to a training today. I had lesson plans for a sub and made sure to get a sub. Turns out the sub didnt show. No teacher translates into FREE PLAY in middle school I guess. Anyways, a sub finally arrived. Unfortunately, it was to late and damage was done. Any hope of getting the behaviors back and actual work getting done was gone. According to the neighboring teacher, the kids had hid the classroom phone from the sub. Students had tipped over desks and in general made a complete mess of my classroom. I am so disappointed! So incredibly frustrated! I know they are better than this! I have seen them be amazing kids! I am so frustrated and trying to figure out how to address this issue tomorrow. What would you do? I want there to be a consequences for their actions but being that I wasn't there to see this behavior I am unsure what the most effective way to handle this situation would be. Suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2017

First of all, how did your administration not know their was no coverage for your class? Most schools would pull someone on a rep or the P/ViceP would fill in....o_O
    Consequences...heck yeah. It's going to be darn near impossible to know who did what, but I'd be on them double time tomorrow. ALL WORK. No breaks. Have them write essays on respect, do dictionary work:looking up and copying complete dictionary entry for a lot of words including : trust, respect, disappointment, character, integrity, etc etc.

anon55 likes this.
  4. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 31, 2017

I'm not elementary, though those are some of the reasons I've chosen secondary. But, with out of control behavior like that with the whole class I think it's time to start getting parents involved. Phone calls home (good and bad), inviting parents to sit in to monitor their child's behavior, student parent teacher conference, or with this particular incident with the whole class you could send home a letter informing the parents what happened and have them review classroom expectations and consequences together. Have both the parent and student sign the letter/contract for bonus points on an assignment. Try incorporating some responsive classroom morning meeting activities and/or mini games into your daily or weekly lessons, too. Instead of a bell ringer or journal for an opening activity, turn it into a think-pair-share or cooperative activity/discussion together. These activities help build rapport, respect, and teamwork. It also lets them wear off some of that energy.
    :)

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 31, 2017

Well, I got a text message from my neighbor who told me...during 2nd period. I have no idea what they did for first and second. When I was informed I had no sub, I called school ASAP. I am so embarrassed and frustrated. I am writing a behavior essay for them to do. I am also making a list of vocab for them to do. Two steps forward Three steps back apparently.

6. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 1, 2017

Calling a sub and getting a cancel from the sub seems to be too common these days or just finding a sub in general. I districts need to make the job more attractive and or hire full time subs to be on call each day.

anon55 likes this.