Terra Nova testing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Oct 7, 2009.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 7, 2009

I am curious if anyone does Terra Nova testing in the fall. My school has (arbitrarily and all of a sudden...but I digress) decided that we are going to do our Terra Nova testing...next week.

The reason given was that because our state is now requiring state tests, which are given in the spring (and only take 1 hour each for 2 tests...but again, I digress).

(Never mind the data that is being impacted by this decision, never mind that it is the last week of the quarter, never mind that we are giving grade level tests 8 weeks into that grade level.)

Thoughts?

ETA: I know I have been complaining a lot lately. Thanks for putting up with me. I have no excuse other than...I have been given a lot of stuff to complain about! :D

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2009

My children went to a private school. They did Terra Nova tests since private schools in Louisiana are not required to do any of the state testing. Our feeder schools also did Terra Nova testing (I am also at a private school) but got rid of it because we require the PLAN test to enter high school and they did not want to waste time giving 2 sets of standardized tests.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 7, 2009

Wow! This would be horrible for us. We do Terra Novas in the spring. They just wouldn't know everything right now, especially in math.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 8, 2009

Exactly. I am torn between trying to review basic skills, and risking confusing them more, or just letting them go in cold. We have done TN in the spring for as long as I can remember. It's just another example of a crap decision made by our administration without regard for those of us who have to actually abide by these arbitrary decisions.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

We do the Terra Nova at our school in January.

7. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Oct 8, 2009

We do Terra Nova as part of our state assessments in the spring. I think they happen on the third day of testing in each subject area.