TERC Investigations (revised edition?)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissFroggy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2007

Our school currently uses the 2004 edition, but find it doesn't cover enough of the standard algorithm, fact practice, etc.

Our director wants to adopt a new program and I will likely be on the committee for this. I have used EDM in another school, and don't want to switch to it. One teacher is already going to do Everyday math instead next year, as a trial.

Does anyone use the new edition (2007 or 08?) The TERC website stated it made a lot of changes and listened to what teachers had to say to correct this? Have you looked at the new edition?

I ordered samples but they won't be in for a few weeks.

Thanks!

http://investigations.terc.edu/relevant/DesignPrinciplesShorter.cfm
    (To see the revisions)

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

How can you get the samples? I can't seem to find where to get the samples on the website...

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

I called my regional representative in July and asked for the samples for 3rd and 4th grade to be sent to my school. They still have not arrived. I need to call again... but am keeping my hopes up. I found the number for the regional representative/distributor on the website I think.

5. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

my school district used the old investigations program up until this past year for 8 years - this past spring we adopted a new math series - we had three to choose from - the new investigations, everyday math and Think math. i don't know enough about any of them to tell you much, but i know alot of the teachers thought that the new investigations program was much improved and they really liked the online components that it had access to. Unfortunately for all of them, the district as a whole chose to adopt Think Math, which from what we hear is a fairly new program. I don't think many at my school were thrilled with the decision, but we will see how it goes.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2007

I think my director is looking at Think Math also. We will be likely be choosing a new curriculum as well.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2007

My district is piloting the new Investigations...but I haven't received the materials yet so I don't know what to expect (except for the great advice from the other thread:)).

8. Dill

Dill Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I love it

We're using the new edition this year. So far, I love it. I never used the old series completely - dabbled in it to get a feel for it - but from what I can tell, there is a greater emphasis on learning algorithms, though it is still done in a constructivist way. The format is much more teacher friendly. I am really enjoying it, though it still calls for a lot of planning/prep. My only complaint is that they seem to have taken some of the challenge out of some of the games. I am having to think of more extensions for my gifted students than I felt like I needed to with the old edition.

9. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I piloted the old version of Investigations last year, and we also did out math adoption last year. We got a glance of the new program then and I loved it. We finally got our new Investigations in and are being trained on it tomorrow. I am so excited. We as a county decided to do a dual adoption by adopting investigations and their Scot Foresman AW math textbooks, I don't see me using them much though.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2007

I finally had a half day of training today...not all of the materials are in yet, so we have to play around for the first few days of math when school starts next week, but the program looks really good. I'm excited! No more Math in my world for me! :)