Tenured Teachers with colored hair

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 13, 2020

During all the covid madness I went on a quest to bleach my hair blond (from dark brown) and then bubble gum pink. I am letting it wash out over time, but have no idea if it will still be pink when school starts. Our school dress code for teachers says hair can not be distracting. It is very vague. Would bubble gum pink be distracting? How about rose gold or a dark maroon? Has anyone with tenure gone to school with non-natural hair color? One of the department heads dyed the under half of her hair dark purple for a year and did not have any issues...but purple is the school color... What do you think is distracting vs nondistracting?

3. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 13, 2020

In my previous school there was a teacher wtih a bright pink hair. At first it was distracting but after a while everyone including the students just kinda got used to seeing it and so it wasn't so distracting anymore. I think any color which isn't a natural hair color would be distracting. However, not for long once everyone gets used to looking at it

bella84, Backroads and Geologygirl like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2020

If the pink is a permanent color, I have doubts that it will "wash out". Instead, you will need to color it something else more "natural", or bleach it back to blonde. I would recommend using a beautician with coloring experience to make these changes - most states are opening up to allow saloons to open soon.

5. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 14, 2020

It is not permanent. It is simipermanant and washes out overtime. I just do not want to go back to a boring color, especially if I have to do in-person teaching during a pandemic. Life is short I am learning....

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2020

In that case, I suggest making your inquiry to your HR department.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2020

Normally I would say no big deal, but the fact that it says something specifically in your contract makes me think it's not allowed. I would just let it fade out for now and if you really want to get that color again, ask at school first. I wouldn't worry about it still being there in the fall. One of my close friends always gets fantasy colors for her hair and she's always lamenting about how quickly they fade out. She gets hers to last 8-9 weeks only by washing it 1x per week or less, and even then it's really faded by the end of that time period. I could never get away with washing my hair that infrequently.

readingrules12 and Teachingtoo like this.
  8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2020

I do not believe pink hair would be “just cause” for termination.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 14, 2020

We can have our hair however we like, and so can students.

MrsC and Backroads like this.
  10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2020

This gives the administration room to judge whether or not they will accept non-natural colors for hair.

So, I would say, in your district, pink could easily be considered distracting. I would advise an absolute no to pink hair (or other non-natural hair color) if it is something the school also frowns on from students.

My next comment is a generalization not directed at you but at the idea of choosing the non-natural colors for hair or those "new styles". I've always interpreted choices such as those as a way to draw attention to oneself. That means the point is to distract the person's attention from what they are doing to the color of the hair or the "unexpected hair style".

Now, those distractions usually go away in a short while as people grow accustom to seeing it, but that does not mean it can't be used against you.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  11. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jun 14, 2020

We can wear our hair however we want. I have brown hair and did blue highlights in it a couple years ago. I got many compliments on it from students lol.

I have a hard time answering this question because I don't find hair distracting. I personally feel that is very vague and awful language to have in a dress code because that's super subjective, and even if someone has rainbow hair, I am not at all distracted by it.

We have no language in our contract about dress code or how we do our hair. Since it sounds like you have some language in yours, if you're concerned, I'd talk to your union pres (if you are part of a union).

bella84 and MrsC like this.
  12. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Jun 14, 2020

Not professional.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2020

I would not risk my career for “fun” hair. An edgy, yet adult cut or highlights would be a better choice. Although I don’t see any school firing someone for hair color, it would be one of those things that could add up with other things to help make a case against you if needed.

bella84, a2z and Teachingtoo like this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 15, 2020

I would send an email or call HR. I don't get the need to dye hair so frequently as an adult.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 17, 2020

I would wait until it gets closer to the school year, to see how much has washed out, then as HR about all this. You can probably dye it to a pretty dark red / burgundy color (I always liked it), it would still be considered natural, I'm sure and it wouldn't damage your hair. But with all this coloring and correction, I would get it done in a salon.

16. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jun 17, 2020

That's fine. That's your preference. There is nothing wrong with dyeing hair frequently as an adult. It's a way to express yourself and your style, and I am confused why anyone sees something wrong with it.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 18, 2020

I didn't say I had a problem with it. I said ****I**** do not get the need to dye MYYYYY hair as an adult.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2020

OP started the thread by noting that:
    If there was no mention of distracting hair in the dress code this would be a moot point, but the dress code does mention it, hence the concern. Not only would I shoot off an email to HR to inquire about the pink hair, I would also attach a picture - it is, after all, worth a thousand words. I don't care what color OP's hair is in the least, but I have worked with administration that would, just because it's not something they would do. Surprising them on opening day just doesn't seem like the best strategy, IMHO.

a2z likes this.
  19. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jun 18, 2020

I don't want to split hairs (ha pun intended) but you said "I don't get the need to dye hair so frequently as an adult." You had left the "MY" out, so it came across as a judgment of everyone else who does. But you cleared it up with your follow-up response, so it sounds like that wasn't what you meant.

bella84 likes this.