Tempura Paint

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by K_luv30, Jul 18, 2009.

1. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

How do you use it in your classrooms? What rules and expectations do you communicate to your students when using the paint? What other materials do I need besides the paint and paintbrushes? Any other ideas, things I should know (i.e. what not to do), and/or tips? I appreciate any and all responses. Thank you!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

I never use paints in class. They do that in art. If I'd like a particular type of project, the art teacher is very happy to oblige.

If I did it myself, I'd have to supply the paint and brushes (as well as the paper) myself.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

First, I limit the amount of contact they have with the paint. I put the source somewhere I can watch it and distribute it as need. I give out only amounts that I think are needed. This conserves material.

Before beginning to paint, I teach how to hold a brush and how to paint with the tip of the brush. I demonstrate mixing paint and show reasons why scrubbing the brush into the paint and on the paper are not such great creative choices.

I give the talk about taking care not to bump your neighbor with your brush and establish that brushes are put down if their bottom comes out of the chair. Staying seated or at station, if they must stand, controls the area of mess. Finding paint on something where no child should have been is very frustrating.

I make sure they understand that painting themselves is out, a complete no-no (unless that's the project). Paint will be removed from those who do this.

Depending on the project, their might be specific skills we are covering and so the lesson is something I rehearse with younger students before paint is ever put out on the table. Along with procedures for staying clean.

You'll need a procedure for when a mess happens. Someone will spill water, get paint on themselves or someone else, or something similar. Have it planned so that student A doesn't come running with a brush in their hands making the mess grow.

Clean up is a routine as well. I have students participate in clean up. Putting brushes away, palettes, paintings, and paper towels. Giving students little jobs keeps them busy, happy, and out of trouble while clean up is going on. It's probably one of the most constructive times when it's done right.

Paint, brushes, smocks, palettes (hefty foam plates with separating wells), paper, paper towels, water source, foam sponges.

I'm in a rush now but I'll come back later to clean this up to be more clear.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

Ditto for me. I never paint and I even have a sink in my room.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

One year I was going to make papier mache globes with my kids -- and the thought of the huge mess, where to let them dry, etc etc had me in a bit of a tiz. Our wonderful art teacher lheard of my plans and came up to my room, saying "You know, all you have to do is let me know if there is a particular art project you want your kids to do." I took her up on her fabulous offer, and she dealt with it. Of course, she has a room set up for such things, the experience in doing it, plenty of room for things to dry, etc. I was so glad! Ever since then, I just ask the art teach when I want the kids to do some messy art project. She is always glad to oblige and work it into her curriculum.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

Rainstorm our former art teacher (retired this year) was the same way. I would mention to her what we were studying in reading, ss, science and she would try and incorporate some type of project. It was great. Our librarian will do the same, find books to read to the class at library or have them do extra research. It's so nice when you have special teachers who are cooperative with the classroom teacher.

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

Perhaps its the age, but I teach 3 year olds and we have paint, watercolors, and collage items out all the time, and rarely have a mess. We are on a floor, rather than a carpet, but honestly-the children rarely spill or splatter. I think if you plan out a system, older children would love to paint and create in the classroom.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

I suggest tit for tat. I will also do what I can to integrate my lesson with another teacher when I can. The same thing goes around, If you are set on doing the lesson in your room be sure to get skill advice from the art teacher on what it is to create and the thinking skills that are developed by art play.

10. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

Thank you for all your responses! Keep 'em coming! I normally wouldn't use paint in the classroom, but it was left over from the teacher last year, and I thought it would be fun! Also, I was wondering if it was possible to include it in a center somehow, and how you integrated it with the curriculum. Thanks!

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Different states, different standards. What are your objectives?

Ohh! BTW, Tempura is a style of fried Japanese food. Tempera is the correct spelling.:)

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

I giggled to myself when I read this!!! I love tempura!! To eat that is!!:D

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

I was going to say the same thing!!:lol:

I do use paint on a very few projects each year- Mostly water color though...

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

My students love to paint. Many had not ever painted because some of the previous grade teachers didn't want the mess, etc. Even with so many objectives to fit in, I integrate lots of art projects. I cover the table and put the paint in containers that I have saved. We paint boxes(dioramas),puppets, our papier mache volcanoes, maracas, pinatas, and our salt dough projects. I usually have 5-6 paint at a time. We do a good job of cleaning up, but the custodian doesn't enjoy our projects as much as we do!!

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 26, 2009

Last year I didn't do much painting with my class. I loved reading your suggestions. I do a lot of modeling as well, when we do get to paint.

I'd be interested in hearing some ideas for integrating painting in the curriculum. I think that students tend to go overboard with the paint because they don't have experience using it. At home they are spending their time playing video games and not experiencing finger paints and such at a young age! And then with so much more being required in kindergarten in first grade.... but I digress. If they have practice using it correctly, then I think later on they'll be able to use it effectively, focusing on their learning and not just, "WOOO WE'RE PAINTING!!"