Temporary Teaching Certificate- Questions and Advice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mattdpvn, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mattdpvn

mattdpvn New Member

Jul 31, 2013

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt, and I applied for a temporary teaching certificate in Florida. My degree is originally in Finance but after working in the field in Illinois, I came to the conclusion that the corporate world is not for me.

I'm planning on moving to Florida very soon (Jax), and have applied for a temporary teaching certificate. I don't think that there will be any hiccups obtaining one since I meet all the requirements.

I plan to teach Mathematics in grades 5-9, then with any luck high school down the road. I wanted to get everyones advice on things I can do to learn more about the profession since my degree is in Finance. Is there some books I can read? Will I get a mentor with a temporary certificate (can't find the answer online)? What are some things to start to plan? Decorating room a big deal?

I've been reading on here as much as I could, and have already been learning a lot.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Matt

3. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 31, 2013

NO BOOKS will get you prepared for teaching. I advise you to jump in and do observation and volunteering. Then move to subbing.

I would also advise focusing on classroom management before worrying too much about how to teach. Teaching comes easy when you have a grasp of your classroom behavior. Can't say the same the other way around.

4. mattdpvn

mattdpvn New Member

Aug 1, 2013

Thank you, I am already slotted to be a sub at a high school.