Temperature

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by tbzep, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tbzep

tbzep Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

I have a question for the northern folks. I have extremely limited indoor space and about 60 kids per P.E. class. Therefore I go outside whenever I can. I live in the South, so people down here think it's cold at 45 degrees. I get flack from people for taking my kids outside in 30-40 degree weather for 25 minutes, even though I'm comfortable outside all day.

Now for the question. At what temperature do you folks in the north consider it too cold to go outside for recess (or P.E. if you don't have adequate indoor facilities)?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

Around here in Ohio, students stay inside if it is colder than 20 degrees. That would include wind chill. (So, it could be higher than 20 degrees, but if the wind is blowing the wind chill temperature might be below the 20 degree cut-off.)

4. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jan 11, 2010

We are in PA. We stay indoors if the wind chill is below 25 degrees.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

Here, the "should we keep them in?" point is around 10-14F (with wind-chill).

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2010

ANything 10 degrees and above they go out. The wind chill can not dip below 0.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

Last year I went out in 37 degree weather but the wind was moving pretty good. I thought that was cold. It was 14 here in my north central fla town this morning. I took them out about 25 degrees but for only 10-15 minutes. After it hit 30 we were out playing soccer. My boss went to Alaska last year and they go out down to -20 but have to be dressed right.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

One of my neighbors, who's a New England transplant, said the other day "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes". Most kids in more southern states don't have the appropriate clothing to stay out for any length of time in temperatures that northerners, who DO have the right clothes, go out into all the time. We got into the conversation when we were talking about my shopping spree, outfitting my kids for a ND winter. It's amazing what a difference some slight clothing changes make in your comfort.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 11, 2010

We can't go out if it is below freezing...that includes wind chill.

10. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

I don't take the students outside for P.E. if it's less than 50. I get cold real easy. But we don't take the students out for recess if it's below zero or the wind chill is below zero. I live in a very windy part of Nebraska, so the wind blows almost everyday. Lately, we have been in the negatives for both the temperature and wind chill.
    ---------------------------
    “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

11. tbzep

tbzep Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

Thanks to all of you. I see that it varies a lot, often just because of your personal preferences. We don't have a written policy, so I think as long as I can handle it outside all day long, the kids should be able to handle it for 25 minutes.

I feel pretty good in temperatures down to 25F the way I dress, as long as it isn't too windy. I only wear P.E. type clothing with some fleese underneath. Many parents wouldn't understand that I'm out all day and their kid is only out a few minutes, so I don't dress like an arctic explorer in order to prevent conflict.

I consider myself fairly cold natured, but I'd rather be cold than to have a pounding headache at the end of the day. Our indoor facilities consists of a small metal building about twice the size of a regular classroom. With 60 kids at a time, the noise is deafening to the point that my ears ring for a few hours after a day couped up inside. I'm also allergic to the mold that is in the carpet from a slightly leaky roof. Add it all together and I often end up with headaches bad enough to blur my vision.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2010

Welcome TBZ, 60 at a time sounds awful.
    The most I get now is about 28. I have grades
    k-5 at two different schools. I go alternate days to each one.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

One thing to keep in mind is how the KIDS dress. When they get outside and start running around, they will often shed their coats, leaving them improperly dressed for the weather.

During my internship at a middle school in NC, we would step outside to see what it "felt like" and make the decision then, knowing the kids would be throwing their coats off once they got started.

It isn't a matter of personal tolerance so much as the fact of kids getting overheated in cold weather can lead to colds or worse, which might well come back on the teachers when the kids say "Well Mr. Cerek let us go outside and play today".

Of course, this is from a NON-PE teaching POV and we had a regulation gymnasium the PE teachers could use, so their situation was much better than yours.

I subbed at the alternative school several times and their "gym" is the old community center - standard metal building with about a half-court gym. Sound bigger than what you have, but I only had about a dozen students. I can't imagine trying to get 60 in there at a time.

14. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

coats

I was a kid who always ran around and took my coat off. I see nothing wrong with it. There is no reason to force a child who is moving around to keep their coat on. Ask any athlete and they will tell you the same thing.

15. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 16, 2011

We try to get the kids outside as much as we can, but we draw the line at anything below 10F. I don't mind the cold and dress up ridiculously warm as the temperature drops. The parents have been warned that the kids can be out in colder and wet climates, so the kids are usually dressed appropriately too. Usually there aren't too many complaints, since the kids like playing soccer and football out in the snow!

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 17, 2011

Our elementary kids go outside for recess unless it is colder than about 20-15 degrees. Parents are constantly reminded to send their child to school with proper winter clothing. You would be shocked at the number of kids that will come to school in the middle of winter with a fall jacket.