Temperature Lesson Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2006

Hello everyone,
    I am preparing to teach a lesson on temperature next week for a
    2nd grade class for my student teaching. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to teach temperature and make it fun and interesting??? I'm totally stuck. (I have the end of the semester blues):eek: Thanks so much.

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Apr 7, 2006

We always do this lesson when we do weather in the fall. Get three thermometers and a cup of ice and one with hot water. Have a third empty cup also. Place each thermometer in the cup and give them some time to adjust. Then I split the kids into three groups and give them recording sheets with the category: Hot Water, and a place to write the temperature down. Then they rotate to each cup and record. You can even copy each category: Hot water, Ice, and Air on to colored paper, red for hot, blue for ice and green or yellow for air. Then they glue each of the strips into a regular sheet of paper. It is a great experiment for them to see the difference between the temperatures. You can also leave the cups out over night so they can see that they will all adjust to the air temperature. I hope this is not too confusing!

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 7, 2006

this isn't a lesson, but a craft: at Oriental trading they have lots of craft kits with small thermomoters, you just glue the pieces together following the simple directions, most of them hang with a suction cup or magnet.
    This might be a fun way to end your lesson.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 7, 2006

have you checked under the AtoZ lesson plans?

6. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Apr 7, 2006

I have my kids squat down and pretend they're the mercury. Then I have them move their bodies up and down like the mercury in a thermometer does while I describe weather...it's spring and finally starting to warm up, you're so hot you want to go swimming, your mom makes you wear long pants and a jacket, etc.

7. Youngteacher226

Apr 7, 2006

I like all the good ideas. It seems like the best way to teach temperature is to demonstrate how the thermometer works. My cooperative teacher wants me to include a worksheet in my lesson or do something on the overhead, but I believe that the best way for kids to learn is to "do" something. I like these ideas. NCP, I think I'll definately do the temperature test lesson. Maybe with ice water, warm water etc. Does anyone know where I can find small thermometers fast, like this weekend? I don't think the classroom has them. Thanks.:)

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 7, 2006

Check some place like Ace Hardware or Home Depot for thermometers.

9. herins

herins Companion

Apr 8, 2006

If you find the thermometers, my kids absolutely loved testing temperatures. They put them in the snow, hot water, mixed the snow with the hotwater, on their foreheads, on the windows. When I just gave them time to explore, they tested everything. Their worksheet was lining up thermometers (cut and paste) from coldest to hottest which most did easily. You can probably find templates of thermometers in your math text blackline masters. I got mine from the grade 6 math book.

I really like the "we are mercury" idea. This could solidify the idea of cold is a low temperature.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2006

Another grade in your school must have them in their science kits. I would just ask to borrow them, rather than going out and buying them. If you have a friend who is student teaching, maybe they could hunt around their school for it too.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 8, 2006

A good way to teach them familiarity with a thermometer is also to have them make their own from paper, so they can see the parts, notice the numbers, talk about the difference, although very simply, with F and C temps, and what all those little marks mean. These usually have a cut out that slides in so they can practice telling the temperature when prompted, such as what temperature do you think you might find on a hot, summer's day, also teaches number differences, more or less, etc. I recently did this with a self contained class and got a thermometer template either from abcteach.com or a science website.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 8, 2006

Make ice cream. Measure the temperature of the ice in a large baggie without salt, then add salt and measure again. Put the ingredients for the ice cream in a small baggie, then put inside the larger one. This makes a huge mess, but the kids love it. They get so excited when they see the temperature drop after you add the salt to the ice.

13. Youngteacher226

Apr 8, 2006

Those are some great ideas!!! Thanks. I have alot of creativity to work with now thanks to everyone!!!

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2006

One thing I've done is make a big bowl of ice water. Have each kid put one hand in a ziploc bag, and the other hand in a "blubber bag." To make the "blubber bag" turn a ziploc sandwich bag inside out and put it inside another ziploc bag. Fill the space in between with crisco. Then zip the 2 bags together.
    Then have the kids take turns putting their hands in the cold water. Which hand gets cold first? Why?