Temperature in Classrooms--How's Yours?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scholarteacher, Jun 9, 2010.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2010

Most of the rooms in our school are ridiculously hot. Are your rooms:
    hot?
    freezing?
    about right?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 9, 2010

About right, but the hallways and cafeteria are freezing.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

We had a new heating/cooling system put in around 2 years ago. There are no vents in the hallways or bathrooms. In winter, the classrooms are comfortable, but the hallways and restrooms are freezing. I guess that will keep those girls from hanging out in the restroom instead of going to class :). I don't think the restroom should be 75 degrees, but I would like to be able to use the facilities without freezing my behind. In the summer, it is just the opposite.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2010

It depends on the time of day. When I open my door at 6:30, I'm greeted with a blast of hot air, and first period is usually sweltering so I have two fans running. At around 7:45, the a/c kicks on, and then it's freezing. If I touch the thermostat it overreacts in the other direction. I got tired of complaining about it, because my P would forward my emails to the district office, and then I'd get an email from them informing me that "the computer shows that it's 74 degrees in your classroom." Yeah, well, I've got an old-fashioned thermometer that says it's 68, pal. Now if it gets too cold, I put an ice cube in a baggie and tack it to the wall just above the thermostat, and it cuts back on the cold air. Mind you, this is a brand new system that was put in two years ago and has never worked right. Accept the lowest bid, and you get what you pay for.

Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine? :lol:

6. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

Given that a.) I teach in sunny Florida and with the humidity the temp is 103 b.) my compressor on my room's a/c stopped working on Monday and c.) it will be next week before the part is ordered, paid for, and delivered, it is rather HOT in my room right now! But scholarteacher, I know what you are thinking and I'd never venture to the dark side....once a GATOR always a GATOR!!!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 9, 2010

My classroom is a comfortable 68 degrees all year long. I never let them turn on the heat in my room. Most people think my room is on the cold side, but I'm comfortable.

8. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

My room was either HOT or FREEZING all year. I think there were maybe ten days where it was actually comfortable. I kept a jacket in my room that I wore zipped up all the time, so I don't even know why I bothered to waste time in the morning deciding what to wear. Most days, I could have worn a Mickey Mouse tshirt and would have been okay since nobody ever saw what I wore. On the hot days, it was so hot that kids and teachers alike would be sweating buckets. Those days were usually a waste of a shower and makeup.

I did have a ceiling fan last year, which was kind of neat. It wasn't the world's best fan, but it was something.

There was one day in September or October where the A/C went out completely. They'd just waxed the floors the day before and as the day went on and the inside temp rose, the floors became more and more slippery. I had to bring my Kinder GT kids upstairs to my room and nearly peed myself because they looked like they were ice skating, complete with spectacular falls. :lol:

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2010

Freezing in the winter and sweltering in the summer. No AC. And my heat didn't work well at all this year. The kids taught me a trick - putting a cold wet paper towel on the thermostate.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2010

I have complete control over the temperature in my room which I am very thankful for. It seems the other teachers keep their rooms freezing all of the time, so my room isn't quite so cold to give the students a break. They appreciate it! :)

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jun 10, 2010

This last year my heater went out. For about a month it was very cold in my room (cold enough for me to let kids wear hats in the class to keep warm). I would enter the room and it would be about 45 to 55 degrees. Then, they kind of fixed it. A guy would have to go outside to turn it on in the morning and it would run until he turned it off. The result was the room started off really cold (45 degrees) and by the afternoon be very warm (upper 70's to 80's). Hopefully this will not be a problem this year.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

Freezing--you could literally hang meat in our school. We wear sweaters and jackets in August and it will be 100 degrees outside.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 10, 2010

When I was working in my room earlier this week I left when it hit 95 in my room. Now that my AC is working again, it got too cold in there yesterday. I'll take the cold, though!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

Mine is a little on the warm side, but comfortable. I love to wear dresses, even when it's cold outside, so I loved that my room was always warm. However, one day it got really hot and I had them turn it down. I was freezing the last two weeks of school!

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 10, 2010

Well gee...between the boiler not working in the winter, our 50 year old leaky windows, and no AC my room ranges anywhere from 45 degrees in the middle of winter to 100+ in the summer! Oh yeah...I can't forget those days in winter where the boiler actually worked exceptionally well and my room was 90+ and we were sweating to death!

Ya just never know!! ;)

16. scholarteacher

Jun 10, 2010

Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?

Mine too! I tell them those who are cold can bring a sweater, but I can only take off so much! :)

17. scholarteacher

Jun 10, 2010

Our stupid temperature is controlled by downtown! No individual control over any of it! How dumb is that?

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 10, 2010

Mine room too - in the morning when I open my door I can feel the cold air rolling out of my room. I do an end of the year survey with my students and the overwhelming response to the question "What didn't you like about this class?" was the temperature of the room. How crazy is that?? Of all the things my students could have complained about they complained about the temp!!

And can you tell - pet peeve of mine too!!! :mad:

19. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 10, 2010

This year I had control of my room temperature and it worked out well, not too warm or cold. LAST year was a different story, we were so cold the kids wore their coats, myself as well. Drafty old windows didn't help. I kept the shades drawn on windy winter days to try to keep the cold air out.

20. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

DAY 5 of triple digit Florida sunshine and humidity with no A/C. What a nice way to send your kids out.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 11, 2010

The AC in my classroom stopped working on the first day of school and didn't get fixed for over two weeks. There were days when the temp was above 90 degrees in the classroom. I was grouchy, sweaty, and tired. I felt so bad for my kiddos, too! Their poor little faces were all red!

Even after they "fixed" the unit, there are still times when it's much too warm in my classroom. It's normally 79 or 80 degrees inside my room, which isn't really comfortable during the hot summer and fall months.

22. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

One side of the school is hot while the other is cold. However, our preschool is in the covenant where not even the Sisters have control of the temperature. It can get pretty toasty in there but luckily the windows open and allow for nice breezes to cool the room down.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

I face the east (morning sun) AND am directly above the boiler. I open the windows in January!!! I never turn on the radiators, either.
    Even in the summer it is usually hot. The whole building is then.