Temperature control as classroom control

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, May 30, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 30, 2012

How many of you keep the classroom cold in the summer to calm down the kids? I rarely turn on the a/c because I hate being cold, but I have a class that just can't control themselves. Another teacher suggested keeping the room cold. Does this work?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

Don't know. Our district controls the temp.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I've never heard of this...

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

If anything, I find the opposite. On days when the a/c isn't working well, the lights are off and we are doing quiet stuff so we don't generate heat. When it is freezing in my room, they all whine about being cold the entire day.
    Plus, I can't control the temperature in my room.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 30, 2012

95 and no AC tomorrow. Not bad if I had any windows that were larger than a cookie sheet. But I don't.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I cannot think when I'm cold. To me it sounds punitive, and not something I would ever consider.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

No AC in the school; we all suffer through the heat. When it's sweltering in the building, like it was on Monday and half of yesterday, the kids are generally pretty quiet.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

I try to maintain a comfortable 'room temperature'. Yesterday it was 88 degrees in my room...I have two fans I've brought in to keep air moving...but other than seeking a comfortable temperature, I don't fiddle with the thermostat. I use effective behavior mgt techniques and don't need to resort to freezing my students to numb them.:dizzy:

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 30, 2012

When my room is hot I get irritable, plum crabby because I'm miserable. Too cold, I'd gripe, too.

I did have a teacher that kept the room cold in the winter to keep us from getting cozy and falling asleep. Really, all it did was make me keep my hands in my pocket and gripe about freezing. LOL

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 30, 2012

I never heard of this either. I do know that on Tuesday the air was on & my room was freezing. Their behavior wasn't any better/worse then normal. I know that if the room is too cold or too hot the kids & are complaining. I used to always keep my room on the colder side, but not for any reason then it was more comfortable for me.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 30, 2012

Dunno... district controls the thermostat. My poor kids are always sweating in my room and complaining about the heat.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

I had a teacher that would insist colder rooms made you "think better" by keeping you more alert. She would crank up the AC on test days- I HATED it.

I don't have AC- it doesn't get warm enough here to need it and there's not much humidity. Apartments and businesses and such don't either and I've never once missed it (I'm from the midwest where it was an absolute necessity!) Last year I had my own thermostat and I would crank up the heat in my classroom b/c I like it warm. My kids loved it too. This year we're in a new building and I can't control the temp. I was often cold although no complaints from the kids.

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 30, 2012

I suspect that the teacher who suggested it to me considers it to be an "effective behavior management technique."

Interesting responses....

The problem for me comes with the fact that a comfortable temperature is so subjective. When kids come in from recess they complain that it's too hot, but they're hot from running around. It has nothing to do with the room temp. I on the other hand, consider it "cold" if I have to put on a sweater, and I'm often wearing sweaters on days that other people wear shorts.

Subjective.

15. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 30, 2012

I would say this is probably not a good idea - knowingly maintaining an uncomfortable temperature in order to control kids.

16. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 30, 2012

I don't think this is true. My room is freezing or hot on any given day and my kids behave the same.... If anything they complain because as you said a perfect temperature is very subjective.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 30, 2012

I keep my room cool because it keeps ME calmer. I have hot flashes, and they want me cooler. My kids do smell better in a cold room. Middle school kids don't smell all that great!

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 30, 2012

I keep my room at what ever temperature feels best to me at the time.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2012

:lol:

I like keeping a cooler classroom for the same reasons! Personally I would much rather be a little chilly than sweaty. And kids do get pretty smelly when it's hot in the room--and I have no tolerance for stank.

Either way, though, it's a moot point right now. I don't have any control over the thermostat in my current room. My new classroom next year (portable) has its own A/C and temperature controls, so I'm looking forward to that.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2012

This.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2012

I had teachers do this during state testing when I was a student. I also hated it.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 31, 2012

I think there are more effective and appropriate ways to manage the classroom.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 31, 2012

I would think the opposite would be true. They have been pretty comatose for me this week, and my classroom has been in the 90s the past 2 days.

Bf had a teacher who was known for saying "optimal learning temperature - 66 degrees." lol.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

I think that kids who are being frozen into submission are probably learning a real lesson, but not the one on the syllabus: they're learning about abuse of power.

I realize that what's "comfortable" for me-- especially me-- is probably too warm for most people, and I'm fine with the idea that I have to be chilly in order for most people to be comfortable. (That's why I had on a jacket in the faculty room yesterday). But intentionally keeping the room cold?? Nope, that's not effective teaching, that's just mean.