Temp. Lesson

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by jenn888, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Mar 9, 2008

I need to do 5 lessons on temp this week. This is s second grade class The only standard I have to cover is to have students read a Celsius and Fahrenheit thermometer. I am filling in for a sick teacher and do not have any help from other teachers in this grade level. I did find the little thermometers with the ribbon that can move up and down, so those can be used. I am stuck on what to do. :help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 11, 2008

Try putting a piece of black paper on one thermometer and a piece of white on top of another. Leave for a while in the sun and check the temperatures. They will be different.

Also, put one thermometer in direct sunlight and one in the shade somewhere--let the kids check.

5. cfroke

cfroke New Member

Mar 11, 2008

Thermometers

Oh gosh... you can spend one or two whole science classes just letting kids experiment with real thermometers. Can you find any of those? If it's a sunny day, stand in the sun and put therm. on the wall... count by 2's to 200 or something else to take up time... read them... then move to shady spot and do the same...

Get cups of water, sand, and other things... put them in the sun before recess and check them after... the kids just love thermometers!

Talk about how the temperature is different in each season... compare Celcius/Farenheit with Centimeters/Inches... depends on the maturity of your class... There are so many ideas...