telling your students you're pregnant

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by mrsshep, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mrsshep

mrsshep Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

I need help approaching the subject of me being pregnant. I teach High School Special Education students and want to make sure I do not say too much, but enough so they understand. I need to know how to just begin the subject and bring the entire subject up to them. I am not due until January 2007, but obviously starting to show, and even though I am getting bigger..........none of the students have said a word or asked a question. So I want them to be informed and also ask questions (if they need to), I also thought of making a calendar to have them each guess the due date to win a prize for the closest guess. But I need some initial ideas of how to even bring this subject up. HELP!??!??!??!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2006

HOw about:

"I have some great news and I'm anxious to share it with you!! I'm pregnant!"

Waiting for them to ask is almost setting them up. They probably suspect, but are afraid that you aren't pregnant, merely gaining weight. So let them off the hook and share your fabulous news!!

And Congratulations!!!

4. lisap

lisap Companion

Sep 30, 2006

I also teach HS spec ed (LD and EBD). I've gone through this 3 times! I don't remember exactly what I said though. I think I told them that I would be out of the classroom for a few months starting in January . . . so I can be home with my new baby! Waiting until it is almost obvious is a good idea because again they won't think you are getting fat, they also won't be asking about it for as long of a period of time!

Having them guess when the baby comes is a great idea. You could also give smaller prizes to those who guess the right sex. (Only one guess, 50/50 chance!) You will be amazed how wonderful the kids will be! I had many cards and gifts from the kids and parents. Enjoy and Congratulations!!