Telling students I will be out for medical reasons

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snowyday, Feb 10, 2008.

1. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

I will be taking a medical leave of absence in a few weeks (I will be out 4-6 weeks). I need to tell my students (2nd grade) that I will be out, but I am not sure what to say. Any help?

3. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

I wouldn't go into details, just tell them you will be out for medical reasons, assure them that you will be OK and be back, if that is the case.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

I agree with iTeacher. In addition, if you know who their LTS will be, I would go ahead and introduce him/her to the class.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

Actually, unless you're going to tell them what the medical reason is, I would avoid mentioning that fact at all. Even if you tell them that you're perfectly fine, they will get nervous and worry about you the whole time you're gone.

6. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 10, 2008

I was off 5 weeks this year after having a hysterectomy. I told my kiddos that I was having surgery, but everything would be fine. Kids today are smart -- not telling them anything causes them to worry more than the truth. I sent a note home to my parents explaining that I would be out after having surgery and asked for their prayers and support.

Everyone was fine with it and very supportive. As much as possible I think honesty is the best policy.