Telling Kids Pregnant

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cdowdell, Feb 12, 2008.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Feb 12, 2008

So I told my coworkers today that I am expecting. I told them that I was planning on telling my students and parents at the end of the month. My estimated due date is July 27th. What do you all recommend? I had a teacher come in and tell me if she were me that she wouldn't tell her students (she didn't when she was pregnant). What do you all think? She said they never noticed...and that then I'd have to deal with all of their questions. I was just looking for you advice...

3. devama

devama Companion

Feb 12, 2008

i think i would wait until you start showing.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2008

I agree to wait. If you don't start showing then I wouldn't worry about telling them especially because you aren't planning on being out any during the school year.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2008

Ok once again I am going to disagree with the posters. I would tell them. Yea sure you might get lots of questions BUT on the other hand the joy of having your students share in your joy of the up and coming event. There are days you aren't going to feel good and they need to know that it's not them. I am not pregnant and dont plan to be anytime soon,(all ready have 4 really dont need any more) but when I dont feel good I tell my kids. That way they know there is a reason for my grumpiness.

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 18, 2008

When my oldest daughter was in first grade, (a long, long time ago) her teacher was expecting, but chose not to tell the class right away. Of course, some of the children were very observant when she began to show, and figured it out. At that point, it became a big topic of conversation among the kids- sort of the classroom rumor-mill. It was a relief when she finally did tell the class, as it put an end to all the guesses and rumors.

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 19, 2008

I agree that you should tell them. Kids pick up really quick when we aren't up to par and they will realize on days when you feel sick or just don't feel good. What happens if you have to miss days for sickness or for dr. visits? I know everytime my kids are out they want to know where I was and why I had to go there then. They think that my place is here with them and get almost hurt if I'm not here. I think they should know that there is a reason and a really good one that you aren't there for them or are there, but aren't feeling 100%.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2008

Would you still tell the parents? The kids may not notice but the parents will, so I think you should just tell...You caould always ask you administrator for advice but what's the problem with being truthful...There's a book called 'Our teacher's having a baby' you might want to check out and read to your class!

9. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Feb 19, 2008

I just announced to my first graders that I was expecting (in Sept) They were so excited! I was very surprised by their reactions. This is my second child and I told my kinders when I was pregnant with my first. Each month we talked about what new things were going on with the baby's development. The parents loved it as well. I also explained to them that there would be days that I wouldn't feel well so they would know why I was "grumpy". HA! I am so surprised at the behavior changes that I've seen. One of my most difficult kids told me last week that he was going to try his best to behave so he wouldn't make things worse on me. :) I love it!

10. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Feb 19, 2008

I'm in the same boat. I'm due in September and I'm not sure when to tell them. I think some parents already know throught the rumor mill since I've been absent for several weeks due to complications. I hope to get a book to help me explain it to them (preschoolers) but it's hard to explain in a way that they would understand.

11. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Feb 21, 2008

I always told my class each time and they loved talking about it. It was exciting for them to watch my belly grow and after I gave birth (during the school year), I came to visit with the babies. I do teach in a small school so they would have known anyway but it's nice to share the happy things. It gives the classroom a more comfortable open feeling when you share about your life as well...