Telling children I'm leaving...help!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeacherK, Oct 4, 2006.

1. TeacherK

TeacherK New Member

Oct 4, 2006

I have had to give notice unexpectedly. I have bonded with my Kindergarten class, and they with me. Can someone please tell me the right words I can use to tell them I'm leaving? Thanks!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

Oh that is so sad. I hope everything is okay. The kids will be fine. I would just be honest with them and tell them how much you respect the new teacher.

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

And also how much you will miss them. Make sure that they understand that your reason for leaving has nothing to do with them. Sometimes at that age, they think everything revolves around them. They may think they have done something wrong or that you don't like them anymore so that is why you are leaving. If it is for a reason that they would understand and that you can share with them, then let them know why you have to leave.

5. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Oct 4, 2006

Hi TeacherK!
    I'm sorry to hear you are leaving your job. I too hope everything is okay. I left unexpectedly last year as well and I told my students a day or two before I left because I didn't want to tell them too much in advance. I felt bad leaving, but for my circumstances I had to do what was right for me. I won't go into detail. I sent you a private message. To view it click on the top of your screen on the right where it says welcome teacherk and then click on private messages. I hope you get mine. You can view and send me back a message there. I hope you figure out how to do this.

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

I had to do this one year when I had major health problems. I LOVE my freshmen, and I didn't want them to think they chased me out! My last day was on a Monday, and I had taken the Friday before off to go to the hospital for tests. My principals told the kids that day. When I came back on Monday (my last day), I had to explain. I got 50 million questions like, Well when are you coming back? I had to really make them understand that I really didn't know. I told them I'd keep in touch with them and mail letters for their new teacher to read to them. I also gave my email so they could keep in touch. I almost burst into tears because it was so hard to do. One of my 3 classes (block) threw me a surprise farewell party. I also let my students decorate my board and make cards for me. It was all very sweet ... yet very sad...

Good luck.... I know it'll be a challenge.

7. TeacherK

TeacherK New Member

Oct 4, 2006

Thank you all for your help! I am leaving for personal reasons...my family needs me home at this point. It has been an extremely difficult decision for me to leave these children, and the parents will be so disappointed. I taught for 23 years in a private school that has dwindling enrollment, and the nursery and Kindergarten just didn't have any enrollment at all this year, so I had to look for another position. The school actually pursued me, so it's even more difficult! Everyone there was wonderful to me, too.
    To make it even more difficult, my last day is tomorrow, the new teacher will be in to see how I do things, and see the class in action, and I will have to say goodbye (and my assistant, and other colleagues know nothing about my leaving, because the administration made me promise not to tell...it's going to be a very tough day,indeed)

8. TeacherK

TeacherK New Member

Oct 5, 2006

Thank you so much, everyone You all really helped. It helped confirmed what I was thinking.
    I decided to give each child a bottle of bubbles. To each bottle I attached a little note with a ribbon, thanking him/her for making school fun for me, and telling them he/she was so special. I then wrote two things that were special about him/her (one character trait, and one skill).
    I have no clue what awaits me today. Since I only teach in the afternoon, I may be walking into a hornets' nest if the principal decides to tell people this morning! Keep your fingers crossed for me. Again, thanks to all of you. I'll let you know how it goes!

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 5, 2006

I hope it all turns out okay for you. Good luck.

10. TeacherK

TeacherK New Member

Oct 5, 2006

Thank you so much for your wishes, teachingmomof4 :)

11. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

My thoughts are with you that your last day goes well. Good luck to you

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

I read this and hope you have a great day....I thought about leaving mid year, but for me it was only a couple months until school was out. I hope everything in your family turns out ok as well.