Tell us your wackiest parent story!!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 22, 2007

Another 5th grade teacher in my school sent home an instruction sheet for a collage that the students were to do as homework. One of the students came in the next day and said his mom wanted to know why they were doing college work in the 5th grade.

2. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I called a parent to discuss behavior issues of her 5th grade daughter. She told me that I better "tur her a** up." She would not understand that there is no corporal punishment in my school and I am not allowed to touch the child, much less tear her up.

3. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 22, 2007

She reminds me of the autistic kids I've worked with.

4. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

This thread ranges from very funny to very sad. During my student teaching last year, I had several parents that were more than a little strange but thankfully nothing compared to some of the experiences here. Hopefully my first year of teaching will be filled with somewhat supportive parents.

5. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

The year I taught out in NJ (3rd-10th computer), I had problems with the 3rd graders constantly talking. I started cracking down by issuing 100 sentences every time I had to tell them to stop talking. They would not be simple sentences either - I'd come up with the longest thing I could think of.

One day, I caught our school secretary's daughter talking to another little girl. I was friends with the secretary, but still issued 100 sentences to both girls. A minute later, I happened to see the secretary's daughter talking again. I was 95% sure the other girl was also talking, but since I did not see it, I only gave an additional 100 sentences to the secretary's daughter.

The next day, the father of the other little girl called me at school and informed me that she had told them that she was not talking and as she never lies, they believed her and thus were not making her do the assignment. I explained that I had seen her talking - and he maintained that she does not lie (so I guess teachers lie??) and would not do the assignment. He said "We'll have to agree to disagree on this, but she will not be doing it." Meanwhile the secretary's daughter did the assignment. That girls parents were always a problem to the third grade teacher - they were always making up excuses and expecting special treatment.

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I had a parent who told the school the reason her son was failing was he had missed school because he was sick because the school would not take the time to sanitize all of the door knobs. (Mind you, since I am a science teacher I have sinks and soap available). Another teacher had a parent upset because her son “was exposed to hepatitis” when we did not provide gloves when we dissected fetal pigs (they could bring their own gloves if they wanted). She fueled her argument when another class down the hall dissected sharks. The newspaper came and did an article on the class and for the paper only the kids were wearing gloves (taken from the nurse!). She saw the posed picture in the paper.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

Just curious...why weren't they required to wear gloves during dissection? I guess I just assumed (don't say it! LOL) that people always wore gloves while dissecting?

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

No need to wear gloves for your average person. Most people opt to due to the "Yucky" factor. The teacher down the hall liked to wear gloves for sharks because the smell lingered on his hand. Anything you dissect has been preserved and is clean.

9. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I remember how the flamaldahyde (sp?) almost knocked me out when I opened the case, bucket, box, etc. I would go home and wash my hands with bleach. I couldn't imagine not wearing gloves and having that awful smell on my hands all day. :eek:

10. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

The chemical we use now is not as potent as fermaldahyde. Plus, it is fun to gross the kids out by dipping your hand into the bucket to grab their speciman. I may, though, wear gloves next year for myself. I tiered of always having to wash my hands - and my hands dried out by the end of the week.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

So why did this mom think her son might have contracted hepatitis from not wearing gloves? We did frog dissections last year and the kids had choices of sm, med, or large gloves. Each took a pair. I would have been surprised if someone had declined.

12. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 22, 2007

I guess it's cheaper than a hands-free device.;)
    YUCK!!!

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

One More....

Okay, so I posted two terrible stories, this one really is wacky. I thought of it today. I teach at a great school, but the parent are very involved... sometimes over involved.

Anyway, I was in the fall parent/teacher conference, and the parents tell me that they have all done personality profiles and they are a certian thing (some acronyms.) They told me their child's personality profile, which was similar to the parents-- THEN, told me they did mine! They wanted to know how I would meet their child's needs when I was one way, and they were all very different. I'm a creative free-sprit type, and they are both computer programmers. I don't remember what the letters were off hand. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny that they did that, since they had probably only talked to me half a dozen times...

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Just remembered a weird sad one. Early in my career I was allowed to play principal when my boss (in the reserves) did his two weeks during the year. We had a family of Demaggios (all with biblical names). Funny thing was they were the roughest toughest children in school. Had two brothers from another family. The oldest was a bully loudmouth and his little brother was like a mouse that could barely speak. The bully kept bothering some kid and the Jeremiah D.
    Laid him out. Well the mom of the bully came up spitting and bitching about how her boy was attacked. That was the day I learned you let them blow off steam (and give them all the rope they need to hang themselves with) and then speak calmly. It blew over. Seven years later that timid brother shot and killed his bully brother. I heard it was an accident. I swear I believe in kharma.
    Sad though.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like they need to re-join the real world. What a pair of nuts!!! What did you tell them?

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

I just nodded, smiled and said that the child and I really got along nicely. I talked about the progress she'd made since school began. I can't imagine saying anything else. They were writing the acronyms down on a paper, and I remember that I stuck it in her file! I wanted that there for later, just in case! They were great parents the rest of the year... though the child was a bit of an odd duck too!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Oh, Stephen, that is really sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.