Tell us your wackiest parent story!!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Fortunately I did not have the pleasure of teaching this little girl, as her mother was something else (Did have a few occasions to meet her). First of all, you must understand that she did not talk, she barked. I don’t think she was capable of speaking in normal tones. She would call the school office daily to “check up” on her daughter. She would chat and want to know what the lunch being served was. If the lunch menu had anything her daughter did not like she would put up a huge fit. It got so bad the school had to tell her not to call the school anymore!

Her Girl Scout troop was going to go to a farming community to pick some apples and other fruit (in southern Arizona). Her mom was very excited and wanted her daughter to bring her back bananas and some other tropical fruit. It took about 10 minutes of explaining what they could and could not pick.

Goodness, there are plenty of other stories with this mother, but I can’t remember much more as it was a while ago.

Another girl (this one you just have to wonder what the parents are like) went on an overnight trip to Phoenix (AZ) end of May. The other girls complained because she turned on the heater in the hotel room because it was “Still winter because it is not [officially] summer yet”. Outside temps were over 100 degrees. She also wore a jacket to the zoo.

2. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, I probably would have just died on the spot if he came in daisy dukes!

We had a band concert one time, and he came in with the dreaded sweatpants, knee socks, and a hat to he never seemed to put on all the way. It kinda just sat on top of his head with all that space in between. UUGGGHHH! I still remember it very vividly.

I have to admit it is HILARIOUS now! My sisters and I will bring it up and he will act all offended and tell us how stylin' he was:confused:

3. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Ok, there are many considering the school I previously taught at, but this one stands out in my mind immediately.

1. Two years ago my psycho Principal did her one good deed for me. She sat in on a parent conference with a parent and student because the student had picked up a desk in my class and chunked it at the collaborative (SPED) co-teacher and was being sent to tribunal. The mother said she didn't know why her son had anger issues and about 5 minutes later the mother abruptly jumped up, took off her 5 inch heel and started hitting my Principal with her shoe!!!!!! We had to restrain her physically while the office staff called the police. You know what they say about the apple....

Oh yeah, one more. How about the mother who came to homeroom to pay for school pictures and whipped out cash from her bra!? I didn't take the cash, but instead handed her an envelope in which to place the money. Ugh!

4. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I guess it goes to show that all kinds of people have kids...and gives you some insight into how kids get to be the way they are.

At least we don't have to live with them! The poor kids go home to that kind of thing every night! Sheesh!

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

I have a very vivid imagination and the vision I have of the "Dukes" dad, "Urkel" dad and "Opera" dad have me wiping the tears from my eyes! :p

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

I have a terrible one. Not wacky at all. At the school I was at before (with the other stories) we had a little girl (4th grade) who would jump other girls in the bathroom and was notorious for bad behavior, but she also was super smart, and the youngest in the class, at 8 years old-- this was a class where almost everyone had failed at least one grade. My fourth grade had 12 year olds in it. Aside from her horrible behavior, she stood half a chance at escaping the horrible system. She was VERY smart.

Because it was a horrible school, and the discipline system non-existant, nothing ever happened no matter how many referrals I wrote. Anyway, she got in a fight at school, and I happened to see her mother in the office with her 3 kids at the end of the day. I mentioned to her what had happened, and right there, about 10 feet from the principal's office, she began screaming and pounding on the kid!!! The girl was crying and screaming. Security had to remove the mother and ACS was called. It was really, really horrible! Not only that, but the mother of the other girl was there too, and she started doing the same thing to her daughter!

I don't know how many of you taught in the inner city (South Bronx for me) but I can't imagine this happens even in other inner city schools... maybe it does. What a sad world.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

Oh yeah, one more. How about the mother who came to homeroom to pay for school pictures and whipped out cash from her bra!? I didn't take the cash, but instead handed her an envelope in which to place the money. Ugh![/QUOTE]

That reminds me of a story from my youth. When I was about 8, my brother, cousins, and I went to the retirement home to visit my great-grandmother. We got bored and started wondering around. An elderly lady approached us and asked us if we wanted some chocolate. Gleefully, we approached her. She pulled out a limp, melted Hershey bar from her bra!! :eek: We immediately lost our appetites. That was over 30 years ago, and we laugh about it still today!!

8. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I had a parent (father A) come into school once and he wanted to know about another student's father and if father B was an approachable guy because he felt that their sons were being very competitive lately and had figured out a solution. Father A wanted to meet Father B and son at a local park and let the boys fight and whoever won the fight would take top honors and then they boys could no longer compete at stuff. After I picked my jaw up from the floor I told him that I couldn't condone an idea like that and that it wasn't a safe idea, he left, I went to the office and he was called into a meeting with some security people the next day. I was not comfortable around him for the rest of the year.

I had posted this on another thread but it fits here too so....I once had a parent (2nd grade) who demanded to have a meeting with the principal to discuss my unrealistic expectations that I was requiring from her child. She refused to talk to me about it until the principal was there so I had no idea what she was referring to, so came the meeting..........while I was a little nervous (even though I knew there was nothing I had done that was extreme but just the idea of the meeting )anyway we are in office and the mom is ranting and raving about how I expect to much from the kids, after about five minutes of just ranting the principal asks her for a specific example........so the parent tells her that she was in my room and watched while I did something unexcusable.......her complaint? I had the audacity to expect second graders to be silent and still in straight lines before we could leave the room for lunch and how I made late for lunch because I refused to leave the room until they were silent and how when they were in the hall we would stop until they were silent (this also was during the first few weeks of school when rules need enforcement) needless to say full admin support and mom pulled child within a few days.

9. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

It even happens in small county schools. I've got a few stories.
    1. child gets in trouble for telling teacher to go somewhere. The mother comes in and is all proper in the office and then proceeds to hit him with a really big and full purse from the office door all the way to the car. Then she got in and apparently forgot about the kid and started dancing to something on the car radio all happy.
    2. I called home on a young boy who ws saying inappropriate things in class, and the fathertried to spend the next 20 minutes picking me up. I continued to restate I was calling about his son he kept saying you sound real sexy, etc. Eventually I realized this would not help and said that I must be going and then he wanted a conference to discuss this further. I had to tell him that he would have to be speaking to the principal b/c I was busy.
    3. I have had several parents cuss me out for calling them at home. One came in and complained tht I was bothering her by calling every day and leaving messages. The dean told her that if she were to anser the phone or return the call I would probably stop calling. duh

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2007

Unfortunately, I worked in a school for 1/2 a year (I quit) where parents were called in during the day to slap some sense into their child. Literally. I remember on my third day there, I saw an older woman walking in the hallway with a belt thrown across her shoulder. I said casually, "Oh, I see someone lost a belt. Did youo find it in the bathroom?" She replied..."Hell no! I'm such and such's granny and I'm hear to whip his A-- for the day because he's been mouthing off to his teacher!"
    Yeah....not a good place to work. By the way, this child, happened to be one of the biggest bullies in the school...hmmm. I wonder why? Maybe he's just a little bit ANGRY!!
    So, yes, this goes on in other places. It depends on the culture and socieoeconomic status of the people at the school to be honest. Some places tolerate and even encourage parents/guardians to "knock the sense" into the children. SAD!

11. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

The security guards and assistant principal at this awful school I was at for a short time used to take boys who didn't get along into an empty room and make them fight it out and whoever won walked away with the honor or being tougher. They weren't supposed to fioght any more!! OK!! Now, keep in mind that this is how administration handled kids who were fighting, by forcing them to fight. How twisted is that? When I reported it to the principal bec aue a child told me about it and I was mandated to report it to my principal, she used her walkie talkie to call the assistant principal and the security guard into the room and told them what I had just told her. Then they all played a game pretending they were just hearing this for the first time. I had to stay there for another month and let me tell you, I was scared every day because people like that, who think they are above the law, are very scary people. :(

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

These stories are getting more and more horrifying. Just too much really.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

Good thinking with the envelope!!! That is so gross!!! I hate it when I see people digging for stuff in their bras. I think people who do that need to realize what they look like.

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I never had a parent physically hurt me. But I did have a parent I thought was going to. She cornered me at my desk during arrival time in morning. I kept telling her I would be happy to schedule a conference with her and this wasn't an appropriate time and she just kept getting more and more in my face yelling at me. Finally, after she left, I had to cry. Oh what a wonderful start to the day- especially in front of my kids. I still see her today and realize how much of a freak she really is.

15. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

LOL, yes that WAS quick thinking with the envelop. As for me, I've never seen anyone, except in the movies, dig for anything in their bra. Maybe it's an East Coast thing? :D

16. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Back in the 70's, a parent wanted to meet with me concerning his daughter. We discussed a time. He couldn't before or after school, couldn't seem to figure out a time or place. He suggested a place where he would buy me a drink. I don't drink and I was new in town and in teaching and I was just trying to help, so I met him. He tried to buy a drink for me. I just said I'd buy myself a soda, but he insisted on paying. He really didn't seem interested that much in is daughter, but I was so stupid and actually talking about his daughter that I think he was forced to actually feel like he should talk about his daughter. He kept trying to talk about other things. Finally we ended on a serious note about some ways I could help his daughter.
    The next day the principal called me into the office. I can't remember how he knew about the affair, but he really asked a lot of questions. Finally the principal realized he hired a completely naïve person. The principal told me the guy was weird, whacky, etc. and warned me to never meet a parent any place other than at school.

17. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 21, 2007

On my last day of student teaching and last day of school, a mom came to drop off cookies for our afternoon party. She was talking on her cell phone which was stuffed between her overly exposed breasts.

18. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

LOL, these stories are sooo funny!

19. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I had a parent last year that stole my AP's purse. She used her credit cards, that is how she got busted. I was shocked when I found out!!!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

See what you're missing, GardenDove?

21. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

We do have our share of wackos in the hospital, I have met some pretty colorful characters! There was the aging hippy guy with the name of a president, who insisted on going out to smoke in his hospital gown in 15 degree F weather at 2:00 AM, all the while threatening to leave totally AMA (against medical advise) and telling me how much I reminded him of his last girlfriend. He was in for OD-ing on his pain meds that he had gotten for his cervical spinal fusion surgery that he had had done at a larger hospital. He kept hinting around how much he liked me. The next day he gave the day nurse his phone number to give to me. Oh, did I mention his stringy long hair (what was left of it) and his skinny, decrepid body? :rolleyes: What a dreamboat! ;)

Oh, how about the schitzophrenic wacko who had seen a program on 'The Bible Code' on the discovery channel, and was railing on all night about how he had broken it. He was severely paranoid about the medical system. I ran into him at Fred Meyer, not sure if he recognised me or not, but he started in again. This Wednesday I saw him again visiting our patient in the ICU who had tried to kill herself with her psyche meds, he seemed to be her main support person. :eek:

Yes, we get some colorful characters...

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

Back in college, during an interniship, we were teaching a unit on Hawaii. We also taught some dances. During the culmination "luau" that the parents were invited to, we performed our Huki-lau (sp) One father stared at me the whole time with this awful lecherous grin on his face!!! Eww-gave me the creeps!

A couple years ago, I had a new fifth grade student in October. Mine was his fourth class since the beginning of school just one month prior. the child was at least 3 grade levels behind his peers, so he acted up in class. One day I had had enough of his disruptions (ie. running around the class and climbing over the desks) that I sent him to the office with the assigment that he could not do. He mother had repeatedly told me that she adamately did not want her son to have any special tutoring or help since it was HIS responsibility to catch up by himself. We had had a couple meetings where I suggested tutoring or pull out help. Well, he was in the office trying to work on this assignment and someone walked by noticing he needed help. She started to help him when mom walked in and BLEW up that her son was special help when she specifically said that he was not to get any!

She also wanted me to physically threaten her child if he didn't behave.

She pulled him out of my room in January after I had sent him to the office for farting and laughing and falling out of his chair during a test. The straw that broke the camel's back for both of us!

23. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Don't these ladies carry purses!!!!:confused:

24. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

I can only imagine the things you must see!! LOL

25. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Here in our area it's not uncommon to see women storing things inside their bras.

Anyways. We have several loony parents here too.

Last year two grandmothers got into a fight right in front of the office when the bell had just rung for the kids to come in. I'm not really sure why though.

I had a parent call me up and chew me out good over a juice box. I didn't feel too bad though--she called up the Girl Scout Troop leader (our reading coach) and chewed her out right after over some mess about what they were doing with the cookie money they made--taking the girls to the Georgia Aquarium but parents would have to pay for themselves.

Oh and let's not forget the Step-grandmother of a 5th grade SPE kid with an IQ of 50 who called a lawyer on me because after I'd been working with him 2 months he couldn't read!!! He barely knows how to write his own name!!!! At the second meeting the lawyer pointed out how low his IQ was and that his performance was in line with that she said "So what are you saying--he's retarded?" Well........

26. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

You all made my last year sound like a breeze! Thanks for sharing these stories! :D

27. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

I had that parent, too! I just kept saying, "I'm happy to schedule a conference, but these 25 children need my attention right now."

28. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Well...I had a mother who was Jehovahs Witness and her husband was Catholic. First off...I don't even know how in the world thats gonna work.

Their son was in my K class and after a while, she asked about the Pledge of Allegiance. I told her it was done after the tardy bell rang. Well she didnt want her son participating in it because he was saying the pledge at home. She started bringing him late...so that he would miss the pledge. Well, tardies after a while count as absences...and you can only ahve so many absences before you have to repeat K. He was getting closer and closer to this limit. She brought this to the principal and he and the asst principal felt the child should be present; still they went through their proper channels and found out through the district higher ups...that yep...the child should be there and there is no current precident or whatever that says a child can miss out on it. So with this, she basically gave up. She was nice and all through it, never had an issue at all as far as her getting angry.

I also had a parent that got rather mad at me when I kicked his daughter out of the class. He just went off on me and when I told him wed have to continue with my principal or asst. principal...he refused to listen. I finally had to use my man voice and told him to "get out of my room....now" He shut up...left and cooled down and came back in a few and we shook hands and continued.

This isnt really a parent story...but what the heck. I was ISS supervisor last year at a high school and the students got a ham and cheese sandwhich for lunch. I had a student who was in there all the time for I think having a fight or food fight or wahtever in the lunch room so he was in my room every day for the 2nd quarter of the year. He had a weird first and last name and we talked and I found out he was muslim. After a few days...it occured to me, that he was eating pork...a HUGE muslim no no. I asked him one day "uh.....hey (name)....come over here....your...your muslim right?" "yeah" "then why are you eating that sandwhich" "what do you mean?" "...uh...Ham...is pork" "........it is? ooOOHH CRAP!" He got really red and freaked out.

I used that as rather powerful blackmail for the rest of the school year. I dont think he wanted his mom finding out.

29. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

A felloow teacher's favoirte story for last year is about the kid who had a baseball cap that said Guiness (sp) (the beer) and though it read genius.

30. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Yes, I would say that's true. I am sitting here trying to imagine just what that may have looked like. :eek:

31. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

As I kept reading, this one made me laugh even more. I mean belly laughing. Hilarious! I can only imagine. :eek:

32. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I had a student who came new this year, in March. She wasn't there 3 weeks when she had to be gone because of lice. (poor thing) Anyway, obviously she couldn't come back with lice so they (the office) told her how to get rid of it and in a few days, when it was gone, they would check and she could come back. Well...3 weeks later, she still was not back but not for lack of mom trying. Almost everyday, the mom brought her in to have her checked and everyday, she wasn't ready to come back. Finally, mom had apparently had it. She went off out in the parking lot when school was starting, screaming every horrible word she could think of and scaring the h*** out of the parents and students that were coming into school. She was on something, we're almost positive. Just the way she looked and acted. I felt so bad for the girl.

I haven't really had any other too wacky parents. I did have one (for 2 years, mind you) who would call me constantly. She would send a note with the child, call the office, call me about the same thing. "make sure *** gives you his lunch money" "did he give you the lunch money?" She would rephrase the same thing over and over again...at least 4 times during the phone conversation. It drove me bonkers.

I had a really creepy dad one year. I would try and touch my back and invade my personal space. Ick!! I tried to avoid him any chance I got.

I had a mom last year who is going to school to be a teacher but did NOTHING with her own children. Her son wouldn't do his homework and/or turn it in. She didn't care. I would call her (or have him call) and she would just say that she doesn't have time to help him. She would tell her other child's teacher that it wasn't going to happen (the homework). I'm a little nervous about what will happen if she gets hired to be a teacher herself. Maybe she won't assign it.

33. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Late this past year, another 5th grade teacher was walking out the front doors of the school and noticed a mother standing their with her toddler. She asked if she could help and the mother said she was waiting on her son. As my friend was about to leave, she noticed the toddler (a boy, mebbe about 2) whip 'it' out and just started to pee on the sidewalk. His Mom looks down and doesn't say anything! And there was a bathroom literally 5 feet away!
    We use the left side door when we leave now...

34. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 22, 2007

LOL, when my oldest son was in T-ball he did that in the field. He was 5 years old and we lived in the Mojave desert on a couple of acres where the boys would just pee freely outside. He was in the outfield which was crowded with other clueless little kids; if anyone as ever watched a T-ball game, the kids don't really know much what to do, they run the wrong way sometimes, it's rather hilarious and cute.

So, I'm watching him out in L field, they had way more kids out there than they needed and all of a sudden he whips it out to pee. No else seemed to notice because they were watching their own little cuties. I informed him after the game that peeing outside wasn't to be done in front of a bunch of people.

35. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

:thanks:
    We have a SAHD who comes to swimming parties wearing a Speedo. He's very hairy and not a spring chicken.:eek:

36. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 22, 2007

Actually, in Europe that's what all men wear and it wouldn't be considered weird. My late husband was Polish and he only wore them.

37. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

I was telling my daughter the same thing the other day. Each time I've been to Europe, it's all I see....hairy men in speedos!! LOL!!:eek:

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

Well here it's weird! I don't want to look at some old guy's junk!

:p

39. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

I agree!!! I'm really glad it's not the norm here!:eek:

40. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

guess i won't be rushing to visit Europe. speedos gross me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.