tell us about your last day

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Upsadaisy, May 31, 2003.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 31, 2003

Yesterday was my last day with kids for the year. We took 31 5th through 8th graders to the Rapids. They were angels and completely followed the rules to check in with us every half hour. We got back with just 45 minutes left and my class wanted to nap. LOL I turned off the lights and they curled up on towels and pillows and listened to soft music. We had already cleaned the room with shaving cream
    and cleared out desks and lockers. Then the hard part. Every year I vow not to cry when I say goodbye, but I never can. I had these kids in 3rd grade and, now two years later, for 5th grade. One I tutor year round. With a small class (10) you get so close to them! I got lovely gifts and money and gift certificates. In all their writing assignments in the last week, every single one mentioned how glad they were that we played educational games that made learning fun. I will miss them terribly, even though I need the summer rest.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 31, 2003

My last day was the 22nd with the kids... and NO ONE CAME! :) We had our preschool graduation and awards the day before and if the parents asked about the last day, I told them we'd be cleaning and nothing constructive. I figured one would come just because the mom would want to get one more day without'em before summer. But no one came. It was nice. I got almost everything done that day and then the last workday wasn't so hard for me. I had my aids that last day the kids should have been there to help me clean and put up stuff.

Lori

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 31, 2003

My last day with kids was the 23rd. And you know what? I have already forgotten about it. I guess there was nothing too terribly special about it. I know at the end of the day, I gave them end of the year poems which make me cry each year and my end of the year gift to them. It is such a bittersweet day. I dread letting them go at then end of the day and yet I am so excited that the year is over and summer vacation starts.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

May 31, 2003

I have 15 more days to go....i dont know how that last day is going to go....I must say that I did not LOVE this class, they are very bright children and have grown soooo much, but personality wise..they were very hard to deal with....very catty (yes at 6) and very defiant at times....I know i will miss them abut at the same point I am excited for a new group in the fall!

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jun 1, 2003

Our last day is June 23rd, yes, June 23rd, and it will probably be a bad day for me, judging from past experiences. There is so much crap we have to do to get the room ready for summer that I am always stressed out and the kids are "in my way". I feel horribly guilty for feeling like that, because they are the whole reason I am at school! But the system gives us so much to do, and after the kids leave we have only 1 day! So much has to be done while they are still there, and it's not fair to us or them. Every year I try very hard to relax and enjoy them on the last day, but it's very hard to find the time. Suggestions, any of you who are done already?:(

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2003

Any way the kids can do some of the 'closing up'? I have the last 2 or 3 days with kids spending some time re-organizing bins, book baskets, center materials (after all, these things are in dis-order because of their use!) It actually turns into a good learning experience- When sorting books, they're thinking about whether a particular book goes in a genre study basket, non-fiction, by author, etc. Just be careful with cleaning materials-one teacher had a student have allegic/asthmatiac attack when she sprayed a desk with some cleaning spray!

8. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jun 1, 2003

We have a small school. 50 students. We divided them into groups and had all school activities. Each teacher took a group. We had basketball, kickball, soccer, and Bingo. We switched activities every 30 minutes. It was great and the kids loved it.

9. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jun 2, 2003

Today is my last day (Monday) with the kids. Friday, I sent everything home and told my pre-k kids that school was closed tomorrow--I hope no one comes. I think it is horrible to have the last day on a Monday--Yuck!! Update you later.

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2003

Angela,
    We have to have everything packed up and tons of stuff done, too.. We have a half day for the last day, then just one more work day. However, we have required meetings to go to as well. I had the kids help me pack up and take down as much stuff as possible the last few days of school. Still I was bringing stuff home every night for the last 2 weeks of school... We had to have so much turned in... grade cards, DRAs, end of the year assessments, inventory, requisitions, cumulative folders... My last day was Thursday, so I worked my tail off just to get it all packed up and done so I could have today off. I start my grad classes tomorrow at 7 a.m. YUCK!

For our last day, we watched the last part of Fox and the Hound (started it the afternoon before) which gave me some time to wrap up some more things... We did a few activities that they chose to do "one last time" and then we spent the last hour outside for a pizza picnic and an extended recess. It's a four hour day, so it goes by really fast!

11. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jun 3, 2003

I ended up having 8 out of 12 kids--my challenges were out so it was a nice day. The kids helped pull the footprints off the floor and they wiped out their cubbies and helped clean their mats. We had popsciles on the porch. It was a nice relaxed day. We had already really had our last day stuff on Friday--so we could just relax and enjoy on Monday.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 3, 2003

Seich30,

The room that my mother is an aide in had all the trouble makers and handfuls show up the last day... mom predicted 7 out of the 12 or so would show up... the 7 worst ones... 6 out of that 7 DID show up. The rest stayed at home.

Some parents just didn't get the hint... WE ARE CLEANING UP THE ROOM AND DOING NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE... lol

Lori

13. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jun 16, 2003

last day

My last day with the kids was June 5. They had a half day of school and had the "pleasure" of taking my final exam. It was nice though because after the exam, we went over to the chapel and had our awards ceremony. Nice way to end the year seeing all of the positive accomplishments.

Now if the grades on the exams were just better.....

Hope everyone enjoys the summer,
    Ed:cool:

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 17, 2003

my last day with the kids was last week. we had our kindergarten graduation in the morning then they got to leave. even though they were not an easy class i had to fight back my tears as they left. the last day for teachers was today, i am so happy to finally have time to rest!

15. Fran

Fran Rookie

Jun 22, 2003

Last day of school

My last day of school was May 22. Always on the last day of school, I give my students the opportunity to have a round robin type discussion. I start the conversations off with what a good year we had and what a pleasure it had been to teach each of them. I gave specific examples of things they did that made my year so good. Then, I ask each of them to tell me one thing that they didn't like about my class, and one thing that they did like. They feel confident doing this b/c they know grades are already turned in!! I take notes so that I can improve the next year. I have found that the things they liked out weighed their dislikes. Then, I allowed them to freely discuss anything that was on their mind....This is within reason, of course. Some subjects are not open for discussion....***, religion, and politics. Unless, it is pertinent to something in our community that's making the news. I have been doing this activity for about nine years now, and my students seem to enjoy it b/c they can voice their opinions. It makes them feel good about themselves. Of course, I have a few guidelines that must be followed. Such as, not saying anything that will embarass another student or offend them in any way. Sometimes our discussions get lively. I learn as much from the students as they do from me. I can't think of a better way to communicate to my students. They know I care about them.
    One of the funniest things to happen on this last day of school was a conversation with some students in my class. One of the girls when it was her time to make a comment said this to me...." Mrs. S., when you first came here I hated you b/c you made us work", then she said, "But, you know, you have turned out alright"....My reply to her was, "Honey, guess what?, When I came here I didn't like you very much either." Then, I replied, "You have turned out alright, too." Everyone laughed and when she left at the end of the day she hugged me and said thanks for all you did for me. What better way to end the school year!! That made me remember why I went into teaching....To make a difference in a child's life....

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 23, 2003

I teach private Christian 1st grade, 13 students. On the last day I always pray for each child and ask if anyone wants to pray for them also. For the 1st time one of my students asked if she could pray for me. Almost all of them prayed over me for safety and such and thanking God for me. I boohooed the entire time. I looked up and all but 3 were crying, even my hardest roughest toughest boys were crying. It was an awesome experience that I will never forget.
    Austin, TX

17. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 27, 2003

Is it too late to talk about last days? I've been reading and waiting for my turn to come. Finally, my last day has come June 27th. It's been very busy and tiring but I finished today. I had all 26 of my Kindergartens in for 2 hours with no help and spent a lot of that time getting my gifts for the children ready. they will all be together in grade one next year so it was nice to see them interact together. Didn't cry over the kids but almost did over a fellow teacher retiring. He left the staff room and came looking for me to thank me for being such a good support for him when he had difficulties in his spec. Educ job ( I'm A former Spec. Educ teacher). He had tears in his eyes and I did too. It just made me think how important it is for us to support and encourage each other because no one else understands like another teacher. HAPPY SUMMER ALL- I guess I'll probably be the last starting vacation but I intend to really enjoy it!!
    Dawn:p :p :p

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2003

Its never too late for vacation! Glad you're finally finished. I'm loving summer myself even though I'm not going anywhere or doing anything special.

19. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 28, 2003

Dawn,

When does your year start if you just finished on June 27th? Our year starts in a little over a month from now (August 4 - teachers start)

20. Fran

Fran Rookie

Jun 28, 2003

summer...

Happy Summer to everyone....I'm spending my summer attending teacher workshops.... I have been in workshops every day now since June 9. I get a few days off next week before resuming. I'm enjoying the workshops because it will help me tremendously this fall. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas. I know this is not most teachers idea of vacation...

21. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 29, 2003

Hi Margo,
    Our year starts on the day after Labour Day, which is on Sept. 2nd this year(early)so we have approx. 9 weeks each summer. My poor husband, who is a teacher also, left this morning for university to do a six week course so he only had 2 days off, one spent travelling(it's about 6 hours away). Fortunately it's only one course, it's his last one for his Masters, and it's only on Mondays and Wednesdays so he can come home for the weekends. I'm about to go into my garden and try to weed out the weeds that have taken over in the last 2 weeks of school when I was too busy to have a life outside school, lol. I must admit I'm starting to get that 'brain happiness' of not having 600 things to remember to do!!! Have a great summer, I intend to check in often.
    Dawn:)