Tell principal or don't?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Feb 6, 2016.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Feb 6, 2016

so I moved to another state for a teaching job in September. Though I am happy with the job for now (it's really not where I would want to stay for many years) I just really feel like I want to go back home. I miss my family and though being away has been a great experience I really don't see it as a long term thing for me.

I am thinking of applying to schools back home now that jobs are starting to get posted. We also got our letters in our mailboxes for what we plan on doing next year. I don't know what to put. I don't know whether to put that I am staying or that I plan to resign. The thing is I really wouldn't move unless I did find something full time at home but to be honest I might not know till August...

Here's my other dilemma. Let's say something magical happens and I get an interview and they want my references. Who do I put from school?! I wouldn't want word getting around that I was leaving since it isn't definite but I also want someone who can vouch for what I've been doing these past few months? Do I put someone down from previous jobs ?

Should I tell my principal that I am thinking of applying to schools closer to home? I've only been here a few months and I feel like she doesn't even really know me. We've had minimum conversations and I still haven't even been observed. I just don't want her to get mad and take it the wrong way but at the same time I do want to seem responsible.

Any advice from those who have been in similar situations?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 6, 2016

For your letter, put you are intending to return. A letter of intent is not binding like a contract, you can change your mind.

I would tell your principal the truth. You are happy with your job, but you are considering moving home. Let them know that if you don't receive any offers, you plan to stay. Continue to do your best job every day.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 6, 2016

Didn't we give you advice on this not too long ago? Tell your principal the truth, that you are very happy with your current school but want to move closer to home and will only leave if you can find the right job near your family. Ask her to serve as a reference or write a letter of recommendation based on your time there, despite it being only a few months. She will likely respect you for your honesty and openness. When you have this conversation, you can ask her what you should mark on the letter of intent. You could also ask a few trusted colleagues to serve as references either in addition to or instead of your principal, but I would recommend asking your principal unless you have reason to believe that she will be unsupportive.

5. ST13

ST13 Companion

Feb 7, 2016

The thing is I just don't know what she would write....we've spoken maybe 4 times total...she's never observed me ... She's not even the one that interviewed me for the position so I really don't think she'd have anything to write on a letter of reccomendation

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 7, 2016

But, unless you've done something that would entice her to NOT write a positive letter of recommendation, she can surely come up with something generic to write. A lot of those letters are just a formality anyway... Doesn't matter what is in them, as long as you have them. She can always decide to come observe you after you make the request and before she writes it. Better to let her tell you that she can't write a letter than to just assume she can't... Again, unless you have reason to believe her letter would not be positive.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 13, 2016

Honestly I would stay put for another year. You're saying yourself that your principal doesn't know you well enough to provide truly good recommendation since she hasn't observed you. Let time and experience build your resume so you can bring it back home to try and land a job. It's a tough market in LI and a few months experience with no recommendations isn't going to get your resume noticed. I get being homesick, but if you feel you're in a decent enough school and happy there let it ride for the time being. This is just my opinion.

Of course you can still apply to jobs back home and leave if you land one and I hope that you do!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2016

How have you only spoken to your principal 4 times?

9. ST13

ST13 Companion

Feb 14, 2016

I just never see her enough to actually speak to her.....She wasn't the one that interviewed me. .... We've had maybe one conversation during grade level meetings about my students......I've gone to her office one time to ask her a question and the other time I've spoken to her was during a meeting for my evaluation. Other than that I like never see her other than like school wide staff development type things.

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Feb 14, 2016

The thing is the job itself is showing its flaws lately (but what job doesn't have flaws) but despite how much I do like the area/school/people i work with, I'm just not happy here... I constantly picture myself closer to home and find myself slowly realizing this isn't for me.......my problem is though like you said it's true, I barely have experience and home is a tough market these days ..... So I wouldn't want to just flat out resign....to me that's where the stickiness comes I'm. I do want to apply back home and just see if there's anything I can land. But how do I go about doing that without digging myself into a big hole?

11. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Feb 14, 2016

Well, be upfront with your principal, unless you think he/she is the vengeful sort. Apply for jobs back where home is, but put down that your intent is to stay for next year. After all, it's not guaranteed that you would have a job where you want it, and you don't want to resign without something else waiting for you.

Not that it's any of my business, but why do you want to go back home so much? Do you have family that is aging or sick? If that's the case, you may get some flexibility from your principal. Good luck, OP.

12. ST13

ST13 Companion

Feb 14, 2016

It's mostly that I miss my family (I have a huge family that I am extremely close with...I used to see my cousins at least once a week) ... I also used to live with my grandparents and now that they are getting older I worry about them a lot. It's a complicated situation in that respect...,to be honest I just don't enjoy having to only see my family once a month or every other month and I don't live close enough that it is easy for me to go home on the weekends, even on a long weekend. ....when I moved out of state I thought of it as a similar experience that I had when I went away to college. To be honest it's really nothing like that. And I truly never pictured myself staying here long term, I figured this is the only way to gain some experience so I can be more marketable back home. I'm grateful for the experience but ready to go home.

13. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Feb 14, 2016

Well, consider how far you're willing to travel. You may not get into your home district, but maybe you could find a job in a neighboring one. Either way, good luck. :)

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 14, 2016

I keep saying this, but... Just tell your principal the truth.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. You will not be digging yourself a big whole, unless, like someone else said, your P is the vengeful type.

I am in the same boat as you. First year at this school, want to move home, not happy where I'm at, don't know my P all that well, conversations limited mostly to the two observations I've had... I told him I was thinking of moving and asked for a letter of rec. No big deal. He said, "We'll be sad to see you go, but I'll do what I can to help you."

You are worrying about this too much. Being honest and transparent is always the best policy.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 14, 2016

Here is solid advice right here. I 100% agree with this one. Do this, problem solved.

16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 19, 2016

Hmmmm. I don't know, I was in a similar situation in not wanting my employer to know. I even had my dr write me a sick note for work so I could do a promising interview (I was sorta sick and on meds at the time). It really is a tough call. Every principal I've worked for doesn't like when teachers want to leave but that's probably because I've always worked in high needs areas.

You can take this for what it's worth but I was having a conversation with a coworker of mine the other day. We were both talking about our jobs, how we ended up here and where we are on in our careers. The big take away I got from the conversation was that we both rushed things in our careers early on because we wanted to start working so bad not really thinking about how if we had just taken our time to gain experience we would have been in a better position when we first started. I personally have been teaching for 9 years and it was rough in the beginning, and still is to some degree. But I always saw every opportunity as a good solid resume builder to land the ideal job/location. I worked in a private school for 5 years (after my 1st year teaching disaster) to basically give myself time to craft my teaching and really learn. I felt that after 5 years and finally finishing grad school I was actually ready and highly marketable to land a public school job. If I didn't land a position within the city I too was going to move out of state. Now that I'm in that city position (and it has its own struggles) I can say that rushing my first year didn't do me any favors. Am I at the perfect ideal position of my dreams? No, but I'm content for the time being and know I can move around in the system. At my school there's so many 1st and 2nd year teachers struggling because of the demands our home state puts on us and they'd are inexperienced and most go to school at night for grad school so it's a lot on their plate.

So I think back to where you currently are and I think it's great that you have a position that's going to help you build your craft and give you the experience our home state really wants. I just don't think a year experience is going to set you apart. I've heard many many different things about what gets you hired out where you want to be and the most common is the sweet spot of 4-7 years of actual classroom experience, or years and years of perm subbing. Unless you know someone on the inside. Even if you just give yourself another year it looks better. Or you could always work in the city as there are schools desperate for teachers and not necessarily because the schools or kids are bad if you want to be closer to home.

Sorry that's I wrote a long rant, but I'm hoping the insight is helpful. Just really think about your situation and what you really want. Think about what if things don't go the way you want them to? What's going to make you happier in the end? Only you can really answer those questions.