Tell parents about your awards?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 15, 2011

Do you tell parents about any awards you have received during your time as a teacher?

There is a teacher at our school who has a teaching blog. I was checking it this morning and she was saying how she was making a handout for her open house which is next week. She posted a copy of it so others could take it and make it their open if they wanted. I noticed she listed the awards she has received.
    Shes a younger teacher and just the way she worded it seemed like she was bragging in a way. Maybe it is just me.

Do you tell your parents during open house or whenever to help them get a sense of your capabilities? I don't know. Basically I'm asking do parents want to know or care and do you want your parents to know or care?

Does it make a difference?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I might post on my website, but I don't specifically bring it up.

4. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

Your post is the specific reason I don't. I was voted best newcomer of the year last year but it's a campus-award only so it's not like the whole big teacher of the year award that can go district, state, nation. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging so it's only on my resume, not even my website.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 16, 2011

I wouldn't. I just feel like a lot of those awards are very subjective. Our Teacher of the Year is voted on by our staff and the year I won they did it last minute and just took votes for a day-I know it wasn't representative of what would have happened had they done it they way they usually do.

We interviewed a candidate this year who had on her resume Bilingual TOY and when we asked her about it, turned out she was the only Bilingual teacher on campus so she won every year!

I think parents will figure out by actions pretty quickly if this is a teacher they believe will be effective.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

I agree with the other posters. I was teacher of the year at my school last year, and felt funny even telling my classes because I didn't want to sound like I was bragging! Most of my students found out from other teachers, and then they asked me about it. Including it in a newsletter I sent home would never cross my mind!