Tell me your rules

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lyquidphyre, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here are my classroom rules that I fine tuned over the summer-

1. Follow Directions
    2. Be in your seat when the bell rings- both to start and dismiss class
    3. Do not talk while others are talking
    4. Be respectful- no swearing, bullying or teasing
    5. If it belongs to the school, the teacher, or someone else- leave it alone!

What are yours?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2007

I rather like Rafe Esquith's rules (There are No Shortcuts, Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire):

Be nice.
    Work hard.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

I'm going with either Be Nice, Work Hard, or Be Ready, Be Responsible, Be Respectful.

I haven't decided which one yet.

5. nbteacher

nbteacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

In the past, I have always used: Be a good friend, and Do your best! Short, simple, to the point...and I have read "The Hundred Dresses" which helps us come to the point of "Be a good friend". I really like the above mentioned Rafe Esquith rules though...even simpler...Thanks for sharing that!

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Maybe it's because I'm a new teacher and all my educational courses instructed me to formulate rules... but I would be afraid to have a simple, all encompassing rule. Maybe once I get a few years under my belt I will feel more comfortable...

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

I think that the simple, all-encompassing ones are the best because they cover everything. When you have nitpicky rules, kids find a way around them so that they aren't technically breaking them.

Example: "Keep hands and feel to yourself." Kids will get around this by throwing things at peers or getting riiiiiiight up next to someone without actually touching that person.

A better rule, in my opinion, is a general "Be respectful" because that covers everything from personal interactions to boundaries to physical property.

8. txteacherRSS

txteacherRSS Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

My first couple of years I had.

1. Be in your seat when the bells rings prepared to learn.
    2. Use appropriate language (respectful, positive content, correct tone)
    3. Respect yourself, other people, and other's property.
    4. Do your best work all the time.

And there might have been another but I remember right now. At the beginning of the year I refer to these OFTEN to show which rule they are breaking. They seriously cover everything that happens in the classroom in some fashion.

9. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

It funny that you mention it because I book I had to read for graduate school said that rules like "be respectful" are "bad" because kids have different interpretation of what respectful is. Because I think exactly what you think "Be respectful" covers everything... but I can also see what the book was saying, too.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

1. Raise your hand to be called on.
    2. Do not interrupt others while they are respecting.
    3. Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
    4. No verbal assults or put downs even in a joking manner.
    5. Respect all class materials.
    6. No profanity.
    7. Follow all directions, the first time.

11. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I think being respectful covers everything too.

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I am a Love & Logic teacher. Here are my rules:

I will treat you with respect so you will know how to treat me.
    Feel free to do anything that doesn’t cause a problem with anyone else.
    If you cause a problem, I will ask you to solve it.
    If you can’t solve a problem, or choose not to, I will do something.
    What I do will depend on the special problem and the special situation.
    If you feel something is unfair, whisper to me, “I’m not sure that’s fair” and we’ll talk.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

I am sorry guys but "be respectful" is a nice touchy feely term and I wish it worked,
    (I have used it) as you all know Middle school and HS student like to push.
    When I used it I still had to define what it ment.
    I have read book after book with suggestions on Classroom rules Most say "less is more" but Kids have a hard time thinking in the gray areas, they do not use the higher thinking skills it takes to translate "be respectful" into everyday behavior. I know it is a teachable moment. but I found the "moments" became hours! Kids do not equate behavior with learning (using their brains).
    this points out what I mean,
    I spell out many rules, I try not to leave anything to the imagination
    This is after 34 years of teaching middle school.
    I have had to teach how to "be respectful."
    We assume that their Family's "be respectful" is the same as our "be respectful".

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 10, 2007

To quote my beloved ex-principal - Respect is the rule, and the rule is respect.

I do have a wonderful grid I found that discusses what respect looks like, sounds like, feels like. If you PM me with your email I'd be happy to pass it on.

Maybe its because I have the little guys (sixth graders) but by the time they get to me they know what's appropriate and what's not. If they don't know what's appropriate, then I have the opportunity to teach them. I like it because in twelve years of teaching, no incident has ever happened that didn't fall in the purvue of those rules. Children like to nitpick very specific rules, and if they do something that falls outside of it can play dumb - "it's not against the rules, Ms. Lyquid." Many things are also outlined in the discipline code, so I don't feel the need to get real specific.

I think its natural for new teachers to want to have a rule for everything and a consequence for everything so that they feel prepared. The nature of children contradicts this - they will do things that you can't imagine, and consequences should fit actions, so its hard to map out ahead of time. Some things, sure - they will talk at inappropriate times, what are some things you could do -- etc.

Just my two cents ;)

15. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I would add "the first time given" to this one, but I think you're set on the rules...;)

16. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Yep, according to 'training' those simpler ones aren't really rules. They are more like guidelines. I have NOTHING against them. If you have a rule like "Be nice"...what does that mean??? I have a certain idea of what nice is and the next person has another...same thing with "be respectful"...what does that mean? To be a rule (according to recent CHAMPS training) it has to be very specific. Any sub or adult that comes in the room should be able to read the rules and know exactly what is expected. Then you can also have listed guidelines.
    I honestly can't decide how I feel about using the specific rules as opposed to the general guidelines. I think if you have something specific posted then you know you have set a clear expectation, but if you have something more general, it may not be as clear, but as someone else noted, you can cover a lot more with fewer words.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

Our school has a behavior management grant. We have three basic rules throughout the school. Every classroom and general space (hallways, cafe. library etc) elaborates on the three rules more specifically for that area. The three rules are Be respectful, Be responsible, Be safe.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

No one has expressed anything about consequences!
    Consequences are important to kids if they are fair then the kids accept them (they may not like them)
    Many times my Consequences are expressed in terms of what the students did to waste my time or the class' time result I will waste their time, Lunch, after school, etc. I never punish a student with class work school work should never be punishment! I have them clean some part of the room, sweep the side walk, pick up trash on the playground (if I had a orange jump suit I have them wear that) :toofunny: (god bless Arizona's Sheriff Joe)

19. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

My consequences are as follows:

1st offense- verbal warning
    2nd offense- talk after class
    3rd offense- detention plus a hand written letter home (Dear XX, today in class I... when I should have been... Next time I will....Love, student) and this letter will be photocopied and the original sent home for the parent to sign and student to bring back
    4th offense- Parent phone call/conference
    5th- office

Severe clause- office

If the group as a whole is acting up, its "Give me 5..4...3..." until they calm down/quiet down and if I get to 1 it's 30 secs of their time after class.

20. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I have 2

1. Be respectful
    2. Be prepared to learn

We define these as a class :)

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I think you can get away with the general rules if you have very specific procedures outlined for the kids. In my syllabus, I only list procedures. I tell them the "rules" are outlined in the district handbook (as are the consequences, for the person who asked about those).

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

Yes procedures & consequences are the back bone of all rules.

What I have a problem WHY can't we just say (or post in the room)
    "Keep your hands to yourself" "No talking" with all the limitations?

Why do we have to be so cerebral about it, these are kids. Why do kids have to decode “teacherspeak”?

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Silly (others use Stupid :eek: ), I feel spelling it out keeps misunderstanding to a minimum. I understand if we spell them out we could end up with a list hundreds of lines long, but I just think the catch all list of 3 to 5 rules leaves too much in the air.

Let teachers use the higher thinking skills on the 3 Rs.

Rules are just that, Rules.
    Many rules in school do not pertain out in the real world (as Laws).
    Many rules become working policies in the work place, which are posted in the work place (or in a Company Policy Document designed by a legal department). as you know all our students are budding lawyers.:toofunny:

I guess it is my curmudgeonly ways that makes me rant about what I feel are nebulous rules.:soapbox: :2cents: :2cents: Keep the change

23. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I start with just three rules: Be respectful, Be responsible, Be honest. But maybe I kind of get around the "too-broad" thing because in my syllabus I also break down "respectful" into respect for teachers, other students, yourself, and property, and then I list examples of what each of those things means (i.e., no interrupting, no put-downs, do your best work, etc.) Same with the "responsibility" one. I also list consequences and rewards below the rules.

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I tell the kids that I don't have class room rules independent from the school rules, but I have very specific procedures in place to keep me happy and keep our classroom functioning efficiently. Then I give them detailed instructions about that (how to ask to use the restroom or leave class for any reason, how to request supplies you might need, etc., what to do if you are absent or late, etc). I go over these a LOT the first few weeks, but I do it more under the guise (I hate to use that word) of helping me to function smoothly rather than toeing the line. It's a subtle difference that makes a difference in the way I interact with my students.

25. Jen

Jen Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Consequences for not following procedures.

I have my consequense in place, but would like to hear from others about what consequences they use. I teach 8th grade reading. Here are my procedures and consequences ...

Our Classroom Procedures
    1.) If you have a question to ask, raise your hand and then wait to be acknowledged.
    2.) Stay in your seat unless you have permission to do otherwise.
    3.) Talking should be kept to a quiet minimum. Never use vulgar or offensive language in class.
    4.) Keep your hands, feet and objects to yourself. No bullying and do not throw things.
    5.) ALWAYS FOLLOW OUR CLASSROOM PROCEDURES!!!

Following Policies/Procedures will result in:
    Verbal Praise
    A Stress free learning environment
    An enjoyable and orderly classroom atmosphere
    The privilege of playing fun reading games and maybe even some “chill time”

Not Following Policies/Procedures will result in:
    1st -Verbal warning
    2nd –First documented offense, document 3B’s student responsibility card, apology letter for not following policies/procedures
    3rd-Second documented offense, Parental Contact, reflective-consequence essay (500 words)
    4th-Referral and trip to principal’s office

Tell me what you think and feel free to give any suggestions.

:thanks: Jen

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Be prepared
    Be on time
    Be positive
    Be curious
    Be industrious

27. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

These are pretty much the same as mine. I have a poster I made that says "Everyone who enters this room will respect all people, including their property, all of the time."

This pretty much says it for me.

28. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

I know there are several threads going on this, but I also know we don't all read every thread there is. Wish I had time to do so.

The biggest problem I find with the step process is that "one size does not fit all". Also most include a warning. The problem with the warning is that it in effect gives every student permission to act out once in the class.

We are a Love and Logic School and the following is based on that

EXPECTATIONS

1. You may engage in any behavior that does not jeopardize the safety or learning of yourself or others. Unkind words and actions will not be tolerated.

2. Students may remain in the classroom as long as they do not cause a problem for anyone else.

3. I teach only when there are no distractions or other problems.

4. If someone causes a problem, I will do something. What I do will depend on the unique situation.

5. Respect is the key word in creating a positive classroom environment.

R - Respond toward others in an appropriate manner
    E - Excellence is expected!
    S - Serve others.
    P - Pay attention and participate.
    E - Encourage, not discourage, others.
    C - Come to class prepared to learn with all materials, a good attitude, and on time to lay a foundation for learning.
    T - Treat others as you would like to be treated. Take responsibility for your actions.

(I teach at a faith-based school, so I secularized the above. Mine have scripture to back each point)

CONSEQUENCES

1. I will provide consequences that allow you to experience the results of a poor choice, enabling you to make better choices in the future.

2. I will proceed in all situations with your best interest in mind.

3. I will guide you toward personal responsibility and the decision-making skills you will need to function in the real world.

4. Equal is not always fair. Consequences will be designed to fit the problems of individual students, and they may be different even when problems appear to be the same.

5. I will make every effort to ensure that, in each situation, those of you involved understand why you are involved in consequences.

6. If at any time you truly feel I am being unjust, you need only say to me, “I’m not sure that’s fair.” I will arrange a private conference during which you can express to me why you feel my actions were not fair. This may or may not change my decision. I am always open to calm, rational discussion of any matter. This can best be accomplished at a private conference.

29. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I totally "borrowed" this from someone else.

Class Rule:
    Because I respect you and want you to learn, you will do nothing that:
     prevents your classmates from learning
     prevents you from learning
     prevents me from teaching
    The rule is simple. We will talk about things that prevent us from learning, and make sure we all understand what behaviors are inappropriate.

I have classroom procedures and rules, but this one statement is the foundation of how I will run my room.

30. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

You know what this thread shows, we each have a plan that has been successful for us. And THAT is what is most important.

31. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

My high school's band director had a simple rule:

You know what's right; do that. You know what's not right; don't do that.

It made everyone smile, and reminded the students that they were young adults and already knew the difference between right and wrong. Even though it is one of those "nebulous" rules, it worked for him. There were, of course, specific procedures to follow and consequences for not following them, but they were outlined in detail before specific events (football games, concerts, band trips). So his "rule" was really more of a philosophy.

It's really interesting to hear about everyone's strategies and it makes sense that different approaches would work for different teaching personalities. :)

~Briana~

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2007

This is the simplest list of rules I have seen that makes sense. I does cover the big 3

33. LoveItOrLeaveIt

LoveItOrLeaveIt New Member

Aug 13, 2007

Wig, I too teach at a faith-based school--could I borrow your full version? You can either post it here or PM it if you're willing to share. Thanks!

34. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

Those are the rules I used until we switched to Love and Logic. I THINK they originally came from Lee Canter.

35. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I've just decided what my rules will be this year (thinking of the demographics that I'll have :) ):

1. Respect yourself and others - no put downs, foul language or bullying.

2. Have all materials and supplies at your desk and be ready when class begins.

3. Pay attention, participate and do your best work all the time.

4. Adjust your voice level to suit the activity.

5. Take care of your classroom.

I do really like these rules:
    however, I think that this year my kids need something a bit more black and white. I will be trying these in the future though!!!

I'm starting to get really excited about September!! Today I've spent the day working on my procedures and discipline plan - I'm starting to feel ready to work!!

36. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 15, 2007

I sent it but I kept getting strange messages, so let me know if you didn't get it

37. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I have 3 A's: Acceptance, Attention, Acknowledgment

38. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

At the beginning of the year, the students and I as a group will come up with things that will make the classroom a sage, positive environment. Most of the time the kiddos come up with rules that fit into the Be Respectful, Be Safe, and Be Ready. Then we match what rules they came up with to one of the three 'general' rules. This discussion leads us to the procedures and expectations of the classroom.

39. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 8, 2007

I have two rules which encompass almost everything:
    Be Respectful of me, others, and property
    Be Responsible for your work and your actions

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2007

Now remember I am Joking

I have one rule
    Don't get Mr P mad!