Tell me your favorite circle time activity...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs_sarahscott, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Feb 27, 2013

I feel stuck in a rut. I have a classroom of 4 and 5-year-olds, and we have a good time, but I need a boost of creativity.

Can you tell me your favorite large group activities?

:) Sarah

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 27, 2013

To be honest I kept circle short and sweet and took my activities to a different location. Even if it was going to be whole group...the locomotion used energy.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 2, 2013

I suggest you visit a few classrooms and/or a few websites. When I was student teaching, all we had was TV. Don't laugh, but I watched Romper Room to get ideas. Not ideas about activities, but how to manage the group.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 2, 2013

Listen to the children, they are getting to that age where you can let go of the reigns. Have you heard the saying that you can tell a room with a great teacher because the children are behaving as if she isn't even there? I firmly believe in this idea. Let them have more time that isn't teacher directed. Can they work in pairs and learn though a game the same item that you would work on within an "activity"?

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2013

The best run classroom is one where the teacher is not involved in most of their activities. I still like a "formal" circle time though. We quickly do our morning song and calendar for the day because it's a big deal for them. I read one book and sometimes add a flannel story or game. In the winter, we have the most wonderful cd for movement and action.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 2, 2013

Yep, thanks Grammy. I too love a good circle time, I just don't pt much in there besides calendar, book, chat and unveil the new topic or recap an old one. Then move en masse to the next task and have that "activity" there or split up for smaller group activity. I didn't have a rules free world.

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 4, 2013

Some of my current kiddos' favorites:

Pop, Pop, Fizz, Fizz

Pop, pop, (clap hands on lap)
    Fizz, fizz (clap hands together)
    Tell me what your name is? (point to specific child)

They tell you their name and then you do the song with the next child. It takes a while, but my kids stay engaged.

Bringing out the color cards (I found some at Dollar Tree with great photographs of colored objects) and kids yell out the color and we find a friend wearing that color.

Singing "Wheels on the Bus", "Five Little Monkeys (swinging from a tree) (jumping on the bed), "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"

Basically anything that they can be involved in or moving--Dr. Jean and Greg and Steve are my favorite for movement songs

Bring out a puppet and have it read a book or do an activity for you.

I think this is the time of year we're all feeling the itchie-goomies. :dizzy:

9. peachesforme

peachesforme New Member

Mar 18, 2013

I have taught 4 and 5 year olds for 5 years. We do calendar, they can recite the pledge to the flag, weather song, and the days of the week song. We do "Lettercize" by Dr. Jean in the morning, which includes jumping jacks, running in place, and punching arms. I tell them it wakes them up and gets their brains ready to learn. We do listening games like I'll say "c" and "at", put them together, and what do we have? great for phonological awareness. Sometimes if I need a moment I'll let them play "quiet mouse" game. I pick one child who is super quiet and let them sit in my chair. That child picks the next child they think is quietest and that child sits in my chair and so on. You can let them play "mirror". A child comes to the front and does a movement or a silly face and the other children copy what they do. I use letter and number posters to review. You can have a "letter hunt" and find things in the room that start with "B" for example. Let them get up and walk around and look. Do fingerplays like Where is thumbkin?, 5 little ducks, and the itsy bitsy spider. Sometimes I'll just say "COFFEE BREAK!" cause I live on coffee and I tell the kids it's my gasoline, and when I say that they all die with laughter. Just joke around and have fun!

10. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 14, 2013

This is an old post and not a very active board but I'll give it a shot. I know what the OP means. Circle time activities ARE a challenge. It's not so much an acitivity as in using materials, but in utilizing skills. Circle time can be used as a transition time, using an activity or as gross motor or other activity. I can think of several I do. I'd love to hear new ones. In fact this is one area where I too, get stuck in a rut. And children do too. Circle time is the hardest time of day for most children. It requires sitting and listening and participating, all of which can be challenging. I'll list a few that are at least interesting to kids:

Shape monster: A felt board interactive game. Make a felt circle and put a silly monster face on it and put it on the felt board. put a variety of felt shapes on the floor. Clap with your hands: "'Felt monster, felt monster, munch, munch, munch! Find me a yellow triangle for my lunch!" Pick one child to locate and find the yellow triangle and "feed" the monster. I've also done this with letters and numbers and names. Sometimes the "Monster" is a box, with a face and a hole cut out for a mouth and a flap to remove the items afterwords. One child can be the "monster" and hold it.

Riddles. Write some very simple riddles on strips of paper and put them in a container. Each child pulls out a riddle, the teacher reads it and the child tries to answer it. The riddles are very simple: What has windows and a roof? or I have 4 legs and a tail and say woof woof, what am I?

Another is using props for known songs like 5 little ducks or monkeys and have children pick one prop on cue. All of these make good "transition" games. A way to send a small section of children to the sink or line up, so you don't get a scrum.

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2013

Question of the Day

I used to use an easy "yes" "No" Question of the day as a way to "check in" and give just one more way of allowing name recognition to be added to our day. By about late Winter last year I began to ask questions and just write their responses. These then went outside the room for parents to see. At first, we were lucky to get a variety of answers.:dizzy: After the first few days we made a rule that we couldn't repeat anyone's answer and we had to come up with our own.

By the end of the year it had become everyone's favorite activity, including parents in the school who did not have kids in our class! :wub:

Not only do they get exposure to writing from left to right, reading from left to right, and that letters make words/words make sentences and sentences tell a story. Their vocabulary exploded, and I can only imagine that a portion of that was reflective of this one little activity!:blush:

This year, we will start off with the question of the day, and make a classboook for the parents for the end of the year.

Some questions were:
    1) If you could be a dinosaur what kind of shoes would you wear?
    2) We are going to the jungle, what do you see?

The sillier the better! :p

Ps. I teach an older 3 year old class. I imagine you could take this very far with older 4's and 5's.:thumb:

12. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I've done variations of this in different ways. Sometimes we pantomime driving a car or flying a plane or a rocket ship. Where will you go? Who is going with you? What are you doing there? Will you get something to eat? and so on.