Tell me something GOOD

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by catnfiddle, Mar 7, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Mar 23, 2017

I am teaching parts of the plant and one of the students drew a detailed picture of a the plant in his journal. As I pointed to the parts of the plant in his drawing, he told me the names of every part. He also drew a perfect image of the root of the plant. Yesterday he put together his art work of a plant all by himself. Cut the pieces out, glued them in the correct order and wrote his name perfectly on his art! After he put it together, he pointed to the tiny seeds inside of the plant and told me those are the seeds. He did all this independently.
    He remembered everything I was reading from the book Tiny Seeds by Eric Carle. He did so well that he decided to help the other kids in his group on how to put the plant together. "He said, Look Ms. T I am being kind. I am helping my friends in my learning group". It was so cute that I added a ball to the kindness jar.
    Even though at the PreK age children are active and their brains are running everywhere, they are actually listening and learning!

2nd- This one kid decided to draw a image of me because he was so thrilled at my hairdo. He drew my face and eyes and pointed to a few lines sticking up on the top of the face that he drew of me and told that's how my new hair do looks. Lol. Little kids are really amazed when a teacher walks in with something new about them.
    One proud PreK teacher!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    catnfiddle and MrsC like this.
  2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 24, 2017

Just found out one of the crummiest teachers I've ever met in my life just resigned from my school. Is it bad that the song "Ding Dong the witch is dead" entered my mind??? :whistle:

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 24, 2017

The principal with visitors in tow walked in on us today, they were playing socrative. The P asked what they were doing on their phones, laughing, having a great time. One kid said in no uncertain terms, we are revising what we learnt this week, like we do every week. P was well impressed. 5 minutes later, we were playing Kahoots on movies and food and fun stuff as a reward for a long week. Wouldn't have been such a good look if P came in 5 minutes later. Love good timing!

catnfiddle likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 24, 2017

Wow, was this teacher so bad you're hoping for a pre-June exit?

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2017

This started out as bad but turned good. We have a built in socialization time in our schedules. This means we rotate different kids twice a week into our room to play. So yesterday during this time everything was going great. The kids were playing nicely. Sometimes i join in certain groups just have a little fun. So I sitting in my chair trying to figure out which center to join and I see a little girl come out of the bathroom....... and then I see a little boy come out of the bathroom. I was freaked out. So I start questioning the kids. Well both of them English is a second language so we couldn't communicate so well. So I took them to their teacher and asked her to ask them why they were in the bathroom together. Turns out there was a spider in the sink and the little girl had asked the little boy to kill it. So he was being a gentleman and he killed it.

catnfiddle likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 24, 2017

Nope, not hoping...it's a done deal. She'll be gone by next Friday. Just think of the worst teacher you've ever met, times it by 100 and you've got her!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2017

I have 9 kids out for a Band competition, 6 away either sick, on holiday or at medical appointments, and I have several go to the Resource Room for math and literacy. During math today I had 14 students! We couldn't carry on with our regular programming, but it was a good opportunity to do some collaborative problem-solving activities.

catnfiddle likes this.
  8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2017

There was a teacher at my school that when I first moved to this school she was my mentor and a "friend" One day my daughter was going through my phone she put this teacher's ring tone as the song that played when scary lady was on the bike. I didn't know that until this teacher called me one day. LOL

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 24, 2017

LOLOLOL :rofl:

10. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 24, 2017

It was picture day at my practicum today and my 6th graders were done up all fancy and it was absolutely adorable seeing them all dressed up like that.

txmomteacher2 and catnfiddle like this.
  11. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Mar 28, 2017

I have a first grade student who came into school with no reading or writing skills. Scored a zero on his entrance exam. He recently wrote me a story at the end of our word family unit that looked more like a paragraph than a story. I asked him if he wanted to be a writer and he said, "Yes, this is life changing. I will be everything. I will be Superman, Iron Man, Batman, a writer, a police officer, a singer, a dancer, I will play the guitar...I will be so busy as an adult."

MissScrimmage, DHE and catnfiddle like this.
  12. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Mar 28, 2017

I have a student who was just placed with a foster family. I knew him before and he was an angry child. He has been doing so much better. Today he told me "home is different, but a good different that makes me happy." I damn near cried.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 5, 2017

Bad teacher is gone! Some people threw a party...except they didn't invite her LOL

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2017

Authentic audience FTW!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2017

Today I had lunch with two of my students from the satellite class. Everyone else either cut school or left early. We were supposed to have food delivered to the room but there was a ton of confusion, so I simply took them to the cafe in the basement of the community center and told them to order whatever they wanted. Don’t worry, school is reimbursing me.

These two young women (two of three sisters) tend to keep to themselves, so sitting with them with my computer shut and with food on the table gave me the chance to just talk with them. The older sister is the most studious, and she has a chance to graduate as early as December. Now that she is pregnant with her second child at the age of twenty, she has the motivation to graduate, go to community college, and eventually open her own salon. The younger sister, from what I could gather, has suffered from multiple physical and mental chronic illnesses, which is why she is just starting her freshman year at the age of sixteen. She’s decided she either wants to be a lawyer or a police officer. She does NOT want to work for her sister.

For the record, they both had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cooked carrots. Their plates were almost cleaned by the end, although they younger sister ate around the potato skins. I had chicken salad with a side of fresh veggies (this cafe and the adjoining small grocery is sponsored and staffed by volunteers from the Mid-Ohio Food Bank). They took pictures of lunch and sent them to the sister who cut school. Poor kid.

I swear, getting that half hour to just chat with these two was the highlight of my teaching week. They had no idea I was actually working on their transition plans and creating future curriculum for them both. I LOVE MY JOB!

MrsC likes this.
  16. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 5, 2017

I went to ISTE last year and attended a session on using the Breakout/Escape Room setup in the classroom. I finally did it with my kids last week as a math review/post-testing treat and we had a blast! When we were done, one of them said, "Wait, that was math?!" I teach special ed and one of my boys who really struggles with most academics showed a lot of leadership and was really good at taking their answers and figuring out how to use them to break the various codes. It was so fun seeing him in action.

I have a first grader who successfully read the 25 sight words we've been focusing on for the last couple of months. He did a spontaneous dance around his chair, waving the list in the air. So adorable. He was really tough to engage at first so seeing him excited about learning was awesome.

miss-m likes this.
  17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2017

I had a visit like that this week -- the P came in with a prospective student and family while all my students were working in groups, on their school iPads, making videos to send to their pen pals in another country (WL class). I tried to sound nonchalant like, oh yeah, we do this all the time...!

18. Kerrberr

Kerrberr Rookie

Mar 21, 2022

What great and inspiring stories! Thanks for sharing!

19. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2022

Got three interviews lined up.

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2022

My student who has struggled with behavior since he was in Pre-k is now on medication. Totally new kid and totally new classroom dynamics. He becoming more and more independent. It's wonderful.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 25, 2022

I got an extra part time assistant today. She's lovely.

22. Aces

Aces Devotee

Mar 25, 2022

I was selected for a principal role at the high school in my district! Very excited

nklauste, Violetta and miss-m like this.
  23. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2022

Make that four. :)

Aces likes this.
  24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2022

Retirement is fantastic.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  25. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2022

Three more interviews. This is fun!

26. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2022

Show off................

Can we trade places *in my whispering voice*

27. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2022

I received tenure, got engaged to be married, and bought a house this year.

28. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2022

Got job offer, trying to squeeze more money out of it.

creativemonster, Missy and stargirl like this.
  29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 2, 2022

Have I mentioned I've had a promotion and am now officially Lead Teacher? Because I have!

miss-m, creativemonster and Missy like this.
  30. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

May 11, 2022

Got multiple job offers this year from other districts and private companies. So glad I took the alternate route to teaching and not the traditional route, for my situation anyway.

31. LaFish

LaFish Rookie

May 28, 2022

Retired now…ran into a former student
    She is now 24 yrs old and a recent college graduate. She mentioned it took her awhile but was determined. I remember her as sweet but with lots of family drama with new step mom. She is moving out of state and will be getting married next year.

32. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

May 29, 2022

Getting out tomorrow.

33. Aces

Aces Devotee

May 29, 2022

I’m so glad school is out for the year. School board meeting went well and we broke ground at the new high school last Friday.

34. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 1, 2022

I'm REALLY excited for my state's Teacher Leadership Summit a week from today! I'm such a nerdy dork. I attended the last two virtually, so this will be my first in-person as well as my first as an official Lead Teacher at my school.

Aces, readingrules12 and miss-m like this.
  35. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Jun 14, 2022

I just got a rise and hopefully from the next months i can finally start investing part of my income. I am checking few different financial advisors and so far this gofundme customer service was the most friendly and helpful. Any other recommendations for person who is absolutely green in investing?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Aces and catnfiddle like this.