Tell me something GOOD

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by catnfiddle, Mar 7, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 7, 2017

Time to start another thread where we can chat about all the positive / funny things that happen in our classrooms! Today, I got to tell one of my most reluctant readers that she earned a proficient score on her EOC exam for my English class. She asked me call to her mother to tell HER the news, which I did. We're three happy women right now.

Who has another gem from the day / week / month / whenever?

3. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 7, 2017

One of my 6th grade practicum students wrote an origin story about why the male seahorses carry eggs for one of her writing prompts. Her first sentence was "Once upon a time (and also still today) boys are really annoying and girls need a break from them." The rest of it was ocean puns. The most entertaining thing I saw that entire day.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2017

A normally reluctant reader volunteered to read aloud the role of Hamlet today and did a great job, including reading all of Hamlet's 5th soliloquy aloud!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2017

In Science today, the students were doing an investigation that involved removing oil from the surface of water. Several groups ended up with trays full of bubbles (dish soap was involved in the investigation) and a contest ensued to see who could produce the highest pile of bubbles without it overflowing onto the table. Ah, 12 year olds!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2017

To add...thanks for starting this thread, cat. With three more days before our March Break, good news is much needed.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 7, 2017

One of our students who takes ADHD meds (before school @ home) actually swallowed them today. Without meds, he's off the hook! With 'em, though, he's a completely different kid.

Mom says he will hide them, spit them out, move them inside his mouth so she can't see them when she tells him to open his mouth, etc.

Obadiah, Upsadaisy and catnfiddle like this.
  8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 7, 2017

My class overall did much better on the math test I gave today than I thought they would!

Obadiah and catnfiddle like this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2017

Well, I only have two students for tutorials, so I don't have too many anecdotes, but one of the kids just won a tennis tournament in El Salvador. She is just 13 and was playing in the under-18 division in this international tournament.

10. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 8, 2017

The sentence that basically sums up my practicum so far.

MrsC likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2017

I do love them!

12. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 8, 2017

Even when they're frustrating they're still adorable little cinnamon rolls and they make me laugh every time I'm there.

Another one, commenting on the wing-tips I wear, said "I like your elf shoes!" Now I can't think of those shoes any other way.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 8, 2017

We've had two snow days this week! While I do not appreciate the winter weather, it was nice to get caught up on some paper work. I don't know when I would have completed it all, otherwise!

Obadiah likes this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2017

OH, did I need to return to this thread today. Amazing how things can change in a twinkling. Thankfully, I know tomorrow will be a fresh day.

Tired Teacher and Upsadaisy like this.
  15. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Mar 9, 2017

Ok this is amazing. i want to read her story now lol

I am getting 2 dozen homemade pierogies from one of my students. She's making them with her mom and grandma and a few other people in the family. They are all from Poland.
    Also, I love it when my students tell me jokes. (Last year I had pun wars with two girls in my homeroom so that about tells you my sense of humor). The other day a boy in my homeroom came up to me and told me he had a joke that was kinda gross but funny. I was a little wary but I let him go on with it anyway. He says "did you hear about that new movie Constipation?" I said no. Then he said "oh right because it hasn't come out yet." Half the class was in stitches. He was so proud of himself that I couldn't tell him that I knew the joke lol

catnfiddle, MrsC and Obadiah like this.
  16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 9, 2017

Well, I got a surprise visit from this woman from the state education department. She's been showing up and randomly selecting classes to visit, I was pretty nervous to have this woman sitting there watching me teach for an hour (YES, she stayed for a whole HOUR) but 3 times she called me over and told me that she LOVED my class and went on and on. I got called into the office to chat about the visit and it was SO nice to be positively acknowledged for my hard work. Praise usually doesn't occur too often in my school so it was nice.

17. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 9, 2017

I find it encouraging when I hear about my students as adults and their successes. I've taught a doctor, a chemist, two pastors, an intern for a president, two actors, a special education teacher, a nutritionist, a college professor, a library science professional, a youth counselor, a business manager , and a musician.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2017

Yum! Pierogies! Several years ago, I had a student from Jamaica. Her mom would bring me a hot lunch every couple of weeks (and a rum cake every Christmas for years after her daughter left my class).

MLB711 likes this.
  19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 9, 2017

My two main strugglers with subtraction had major lightbulb moments this week.

Tired Teacher and catnfiddle like this.
  20. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 9, 2017

The other day, a student was crying because he'd hit another student accidentally during a recess game and kids were mad at him. He was totally sobbing, because he thought no one wanted to play with him anymore. The student he'd hit, whom he did not know, came over, put his arm around him, and said, "It's okay, I forgive you." It was a sweet moment. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2017

Two for today--one heart-warming and one funny:

I had three boys from another class in for a short detention at morning recess today; they have been consistently using the wrong stairs in the morning and are now doing it just to see if I catch them. When they were leaving, one held back, gave me a bit of a hug and said, "Sorry." When I told him it was okay, he leaned in for a bigger hug and said, "I'm not such a bad kid, you know."

Yesterday in math, we did a quiz review, today we did some Minute to Win It games to gather data for some data management activities. One of my students said, "What happened overnight? Yesterday it was all serious and today we're playing games?"

Upsadaisy and catnfiddle like this.
  22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2017

I had a student go to dentist yesterday. This morning when he came back he said the best part of having to go to the dentist yesterday was he didn't have to brush his teeth yesterday. The dentist did it for him.

catnfiddle likes this.
  23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2017

Some of my FB friends saw this yesterday. Real conversation in my classroom:

Student: Why do I have to learn all these stupid Amendments to the Constitution?

Me: Because if you don't know your rights, people may try to take them away.

Student: Who would try to do that?

Me: Let's look at the section you're learning now. The 13th Amendment ended slavery at the end of the Civil War. That wasn't enough for some folks, so the 14th Amendment explained that anyone born here, no matter what, is a citizen. Well, that STILL didn't work to maintain rights for all, so then the 15th Amendment banned denial of the right to vote based on race, color, or previous condition of servitude. Even after all that, WOMEN didn't get the vote for another 50 years. Knowing what your rights are keeps anyone from taking those rights away from you.

Student: ...Whoa. When did you say 18-year-olds got the vote? Not until 1971?​

Yeah, I think I did my job pretty well.

24. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 9, 2017

I hated that I had to actually give it a pretty rough grade, but the grammar was atrocious. But the voice and sense of humor were great. It wasn't the most well-written one I saw that day, but it was definitely the most entertaining.

catnfiddle and MLB711 like this.
  25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2017

Sounds like it's worth coaching her into a better grade through the editing process. Just saying...

MLB711 likes this.
  26. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 9, 2017

I'm assuming that either myself or my host teacher will do that eventually. I'm an undergrad practicum student so I have to work within my host teacher's plan.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2017

You are seriously going to rock this vocation, MT.

I have something amazing cooking (perhaps literally) with a reluctant reader I've been trying to inspire and encourage. More details on Monday!

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 9, 2017

This is very minor, but seems huge to me.

I have a student who would not say good morning back to me most days, but this past week, he's said it first.

Tired Teacher, cocobean, MrsC and 4 others like this.
  29. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 10, 2017

It's really nice to hear you say that.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2017

Today was our last day before our break and we started the morning with an assembly which included highlights from our grade 7 and 8 talent show. The talent blew me away--singing, dancing and a lip-sync (One Direction--What Makes You Beautiful) that had everyone clapping, dancing and cheering!

MLB711, catnfiddle and teacherintexas like this.
  31. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Mar 10, 2017

Good because I'm tired: IT'S SPRING BREAK!!!

Good because 2nd graders are hilarious:
    Student: *gives me a hug* I'm going to miss you..... telling me to be quiet.
    Me: I'm glad you'll miss it, because you'll get to hear it again in a week!​
    The best part is that it wasn't even my student - I literally see him ONLY in the hall and at dismissal.

These ones are with my own students:
    Me: When did saber-toothed cats live?
    Student: Umm..... in the '80s?

Student: *waves his hand in front of his face* I'm John Cena!
    Me: But I can see you!
    Student: NOOOO, MISS M! YOU'RE SO MEAN!

MLB711 and catnfiddle like this.
  32. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 11, 2017

I've been struggling to come up with anything good these past few weeks, so I kept avoiding this thread. I think I finally have one.

I've spent 3-4 years trying to get students to learn how to write good scientific conclusions that clearly delineate their claims, their evidence (with good data), and their reasoning, but they've always struggled with it. I've come up with new ways to teach it every year, and I always end up with half-arsed or sub-par conclusions. I just finished using a different method to teach it to my biology students this year, and I'm reading their conclusions, and they are... perfect. A tear would well up in my eye if I was emotional. It just makes me feel like I AM GETTING THROUGH TO THEM.

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 12, 2017

What a breakthrough!

34. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2017

:celebrate:

catnfiddle likes this.
  35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2017

Follow up with this student! We're working on a project together. Originally, the plan was that we'd read Good Eats together, work through the recipes, and blog about our results (she's an aspiring chef who's afraid to write, and I hate to cook). However, after buying two copies and looking through them, I've found it's just too expensive when it comes to the ingredients. If I cannot afford lobster claw, I am not asking an inner-city student to try buying it. So, instead, I brought up a cookbook that teaches people how to cook on a budget of $4 a meal. She liked the idea but then got very serious.

"Mrs. Fiddle, will I still be able to read through that Good Eats book?"
    "Honey, that book is yours to keep. It's a future graduation present for you, but that means you have to graduate."
    "Oh, I'm graduating! I know I can!"

:love: Our next project will be writing her own cookbook and telling her stories.

36. newbieeducator

newbieeducator Rookie

Mar 15, 2017

I'm a substitute teacher right now and I had an extremely difficult 1st grade class a few weeks ago. A girl on the spectrum was having meltdowns all day and was uncooperative and unresponsive to anything that her aide and I asked of her. She didn't have any friends in class and no one wanted to be near her because she was constantly running around, throwing things, etc. PE was last on our agenda and the kids had to run 2 laps before free play, and I turned around to see another student holding her hand and running with her. The girl was smiling and laughing and it made me so happy. I told the other student that she was so kind for being her friend and she said "I wanted to help ____ run so we could hula hoop faster". It was a nice end to a very tough day :)

37. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 22, 2017

I wasn't able to attend my practicum last Friday because I had to be at the university.
    I found out when I was at my practicum today that the kids were like "Where is Mr. Metal at? Why isn't he here? He's not supposed to be other places today!" I felt so validated that they would miss me like that.

(Mr. Metal is a placeholder for forum purposes, not my real name. Unfortunately.)

catnfiddle likes this.
  38. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2017

We listened to and read Malala's Nobel Peace prize acceptance speech. It is absolutely amazing by the way. We analyzed it for content and delivery and I think it was a pretty good lesson. Students were very into it. We wrote an 11 sentence paragraph, and then they wrote a letter to her.
    There were things they had to include (I made sure they knew they had to do a proper greeting, introduce themselves, etc) and came up with 8 different things to talk about out, out of which they had to choose at least 5.
    Told them I would send the best ones (also explained that meant minimal errors, effort put into it, nothing inappropriate etc.)

I was so pleasantly surprised. Less than 10 % didn't finish it (they had enough time), there were a few that were just confusing but the rest of the letters are so amazing. Anytime these kids have to write anything other than an essay, they do well. They hear the word essay, and it's cursed lol.

It was funny how I had kids who never do their work, and I mean never, wrote her the letter, even admitting that they don't value education but she is changing their minds, or they have already changed because of her actions and speech. Then the next day they went back to not doing their work. Maybe it was nice to at least pretend they care, or maybe those changes will take longer, or maybe they just couldn't resist and had to write a letter showing her respect, (even if it wasn't true) either way I was so happy.
    Especially, that I have students who came up with such awesome letters who I always thought couldn't do it.

Moments like this really pay off for me, because some days are frustrating.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2017

Overheard in my room yesterday afternoon: "This is fun; I actually really like this assignment."

teacherintexas likes this.
  40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2017

My real name isn't actually Ms. Fiddle (although it's close), so I get it.

REALLY glad to see this thread and these stories. This week has been a rough one. However, I do have my own story from yesterday. The winner of a school-wide writing competition sat with me for two class days straight rewriting his essay to move on to the interscholastic round. He came up to me before he left, insisted I stand up, and gave me a big hug. Our principal had just handed my student a $100 gift card and told him that he needed to thank me for it.

:love::love::love:

MrsC likes this.
  41. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 23, 2017

I actually got the idea from one of your posts.

catnfiddle likes this.