Tell me something good Friday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cupcakequeen, Sep 29, 2017.

1. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Sep 29, 2017

It's been a long week. In honor of surviving until Friday, let's start a good things thread, teaching related or not!

My something good: This morning before the bell rang, two of my 5th graders came into my room and asked if they were still coming to my class (Sped resource) today since they have a big, all day science fair. I told them no, that the fair would take up all of their day so we would pick up on Monday. They both said they would rather come to my class than the science fair, and when I told them that participating in the fair was a grade and they had to go, they (plus another of my students who had seen them on his way to class) begged to come eat lunch with me. I was teasing them that they must want to come hang out with me because they love decimals (current math topic) so much. One said, "No, I still hate math, but if I have to do it I'd rather do it with you."

My biggest concern about being a resource teacher rather than a gen ed or self contained special ed teacher was that I wouldn't get to be as close with my students since I only see them for a small portion of their day, so this absolutely warmed my heart.

Obadiah and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 29, 2017

I don't know how today is going to go but we're making applesauce in a crockpot so how bad can the day be? The smell of apples will put a smile on our faces at least! LOL

Obadiah, jteach89 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2017

We are going to the high school pep rally. I get to see my daughter perform.

Obadiah and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 29, 2017

We got paid! Woop woop!

Obadiah, jteach89, bella84 and 2 others like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2017

It's treat day in the staff room!

On a serious note...We've been looking at some serious topics this week--banned/challenged books and indigenous residential schools (an ugly part of our history). Today, the kids will be researching the answers to some of their questions and doing some opinion writing. I love that these students are able to have thoughtful discussions about some difficult topics.

Obadiah and ms.irene like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2017

I had a record number of students who got good grades and great behaviors, allowing them to qualify for a movie and popcorn this afternoon. I love it when they earn special treats. I am impressed when they plan and follow through to earn a reward.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2017

On Wed. this very quiet little girl who's brother is one of my best kids (he is very quiet too).
    She hugged me goodbye. Took me by surprise. Took only 3 years. I talk to her but she rarely speaks.

Obadiah and txmomteacher2 like this.
  9. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 30, 2017

- We read "Nasreen's Secret School" which I was concerned was going to be a touch heavy for my kids, but they loved it and we had a really wonderful discussion about education in different parts of the world.

- We started the school year with a *lot* about growth mindset. I teach self-contained math and ELA and all of my kiddos this year really struggle with self-confidence. During progress monitoring today one of my kids stopped in the middle of her reading passage and said, "I can't read this," but then added, "Yet! But maybe later."

- At dismissal today that same kid hugged me and said, "I hate to leave you!"

Obadiah likes this.
  10. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 30, 2017

I found this in a newspaper. A few days ago, two rival high schools were playing soccer. One player fell and was injured, and a player from the opposite team helped him up.

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 30, 2017

You can bring a troubled child back from the abyss by telling her that she is a good person and that you believe in her, because she probably never hears that at home.

Obadiah likes this.