Tell Me Some Good Stuff!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jan 15, 2020.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2020

Things have been tough in my classroom since returning from break and it's looking almost certain that I'll be walking a picket line on Monday. I need to focus on the positive; please share a story about one great thing that's happened in your classroom or school over the past couple of weeks.

I'll start. In Geography, my students are working in groups on an "Island Survival" simulation. They are using a variety of information about climate, landforms, and natural resources to make decisions about how their group will be able to survive on a deserted island. It's been noisy, but the groups have all been engaged and are making some good decisions (and I only have one group that is ready to kill off a group member and use him to supplement their food supply!).

Next....?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2020

We have been learning research skills by using Ancestry.com to trace family history. They made predictions about their heritage, then researched to see if they could find when their ancestors came to the US and where they were from. It’s hard, but they are enjoying themselves.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2020

Well, you are way ahead of my classes when I did something similar a few years back. There were so many who were ready to kill off virtually every member on their team, including some "best friends", that I would have been afraid to eat anything any of them were serving! You gave me a chuckle, just remembering my experience. Thanks for the "good night, and sweet dreams" moment.
    I would be interested to hear more about this project and how Ancestry.com plays into it. I love great ideas, no matter who I steal borrow them from.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 16, 2020

One kiddo, who struggles (ability? attention?) to write down two pertinent sentences during calendar time, has done it at the same pace of the rest of the class all week. (I don't take away recess, but the latter portion of "calendar" is very numbers-involved and has a simple game the kids inexplicably love and he has missed it a few times because he couldn't get 10 words copied down). But now he's with us!

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 16, 2020

Did your school buy the campus subscription? That sounds so fun!!!

irishrose likes this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2020

Of course, I would be tempted to get rid of a fair number of them!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2020

I have another two:
    One of my students who has been going to the Resource Room for math (and working one year below grade level) is going to start back in my room for math next week. Another student will be doing the same thing for Literacy. Yay! I love it when I'm able to get them back from Resource!

irishrose and CherryOak like this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2020

Well, there's a bug and also the flu going around school so one good thing is that I didn't get sick yet LOL (YET)!

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 16, 2020

You know, now that you mentioned it, you're doomed.

irishrose and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2020

Hey, I have 200 hours of sick time. Not a problem LOL

Tired Teacher, vickilyn and Backroads like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 16, 2020

Sweet.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2020

And not a good thing, I just read that the B strain of the flu that is going around is not a good match to what is in the vaccination, although they tried to lighten the bad news by saying it has some similarities, so too soon to know if that will result in some immunity. You know, I love science, but I kind of hate how it can be somewhat manipulated to put a spin on a story. Any way, this is the strain that is hitting the youngsters especially hard. Backroads, hoping you are vaccinated, match or no match!

Backroads likes this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 16, 2020

I am vaccinated! Thanks for caring!

vickilyn likes this.
  15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 16, 2020

I am in year 3 at my school and it seems like I am finally starting to get buy-in from my staff. THANK GOODNESS!!!

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2020

MOY testing went fairly good. About 90% made some sort of progress which is all I can ask for.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 17, 2020

Data team meeting today (after a seemingly 49 day week!) and every student in my grade made improvement in reading!

And I am sorry to hear about the likely picket line; I hope things are settled soon.

18. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jan 17, 2020

Finally MLK weekend.

19. netsedu

netsedu New Member

Jan 17, 2020

20. netsedu

netsedu New Member

Jan 17, 2020

Hi, I am a new member. How can I post my messages? Thanks!

21. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jan 17, 2020

Just enjoyed a nice seafood dinner and the biggest slice of lemon pie you've ever seen. 3 days, no kids, life is good.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 17, 2020

We have a flu issue right now. I had 23 of my 90 kids absent today. Our school was at 82% attendance. On the plus side, the kids who were there today cleaned my room before they left, and I was finished with all my work and home around 4:00 today. And it’s a 3-day weekend.

RainStorm likes this.
  23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Jan 17, 2020

This is the best I can do: 1 of my best friends now teaches in a district 7 hrs from here.
    Her district cried poor for over 1 yr, and teachers were working w/out " official" contracts.
    Finally the members voted to strike a few months ago.
    The situation was looking ugly. The strike date was announced. The district waited until 3AM the morning the picket line was going to start.
    They caved in and coughed up the money. Teachers got robocalls/texts to show up at work that morning. I hope the same happens for you. Stay united!

Missy likes this.
  24. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Jan 18, 2020

That is a mark of a great teacher.

25. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Jan 18, 2020

Right now I'm teaching Romeo & Juliet. Weds & Thursday, we were on the scene where R&J are having to say goodbye after their 1st night together because Romeo has been banished. We talked about theme and central theme before watching the scene and answering questions. Then, I handed out copies of the Maroon 5 song "Daylight" and had them compare themes and annotate. All were really engaged! 1 girl from 1 of my lowest classes told the class entering after her that "y'all are gona have a good time in this class today". Made me feel so good!

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2020

The resource teacher is new to our school this year and he is fabulous! We've been working really hard as a team to build up the confidence of our shared students.

irishrose likes this.
  27. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 19, 2020

You just did?

28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2020

My wife is the kindergarten aide at the toughest school in our district. They fired Mr F before Christmas and she has taught the class for 4 weeks now. The kids are MUCH better with her and the little boy that lived in the office for the previous teacher has bonded with her and behaves and works hard I taught for 40 yrs and she is a natural kindergarten teacher, They are begging her to go back to school and get certified.

whizkid and irishrose like this.
  29. irishrose

irishrose Rookie

Jan 20, 2020

Stephenpe, WOW, what a wonderful and inspiring story! Thanks for sharing! Best wishes to your wife, who by the way, rocks!

stephenpe likes this.